A spin-off thread

Varysblackfyre321

Recently watched an episode of American dad that parodied a typical spin-off series. I kinda thought it showed why MacFarlane’s Cleveland show failed so spectacularly.

Got me thinking about other spin-offs I’ve seen both good and bad. 

And it got me thinking what makes a good spin-off.

What do you think are good spin-offs? What do you think are bad spin-offs? Is there any spin-offs you’d like to made?

Better call Saul is the first one to spring to mind. It’s far from perfect but what I think it does well is expand on a side character but in a way that means the show has its own voice. I forget it has any relationship to Breaking bad when I watch it.

Id say Frasier also fits that criteria really well

Laverne & Shirley is a good one but Joanie Loves Chachi was bad. 

I would assume it's down to actors and writing...but every show is really.  Commitment maybe?  That's a rare commodity in Hollywood, though, so probably not.  Hindsight being what it is makes it seem strange that someone thought Joanie and Chachi should have a show over pretty much anyone else.

Not battlestar Galactica (2000s) spin offs.

Not "Joey'

Stargate never seemed to put a foot wrong.

I can't stand the arrowverse anymore but can't ignore how successful the spin offs have been.

Are the defenders show's spin offs? I'd say punisher is as he debuted in daredevil and I'd argue luke cage was a spin off of Jessica Jones.

My definition of a spin off is usually that it has to feature actors/characters from the original show. However when dealing with created worlds i think just to exist in that world is fine as a spin off eg next gen, voyager and enterprise are clearly spin offs despite having no characters/actors shared from sister shows

Evidently The Good Fight, spun off from The Good Wife (hey, they even rhyme!), has those fortunate enough to actually see it giddy with positive reactions.  I am not one of the fortunate, but I put this here for consideration by those who are among the fortunate.

15 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Better call Saul is the first one to spring to mind. It’s far from perfect but what I think it does well is expand on a side character but in a way that means the show has its own voice. I forget it has any relationship to Breaking bad when I watch it.

Id say Frasier also fits that criteria really well

I think a good spin-off is one that does allow a unique character to develop. Jimmy and Fraiser weren’t just interesting, they were challenges and a setting that specifically catered to what made them so interesting in the first place.

Contrast shows like them with say the Cleveland show-there wasn’t anything there to start with, he nearly a blank a slate. To which Seth made another Peter. 

I believe The Jeffersons was a spin off of All in the family show, very different show and very successful. Same with Frasier and Cheers. BCS and Breaking Bad...  A Different World and the Cosby show.   Of all of these All in Family and Jeffersons I only saw some reruns of, before my time.  Cheers I watched faithfully, Frasier, nope...  Cosby and A different world I watched a lot of.  BCS and BB watched all of them.  I think as someone else said, actors and writing are everything. With it you have BCS without it you have Joanie loves Chachie.

What would I like to see,...  A short one season of the Wildlings, maybe show how Mance united them?  

Really racking my mind to think of one! All I have is the two guys from Silicon valley, Dinesh and Gilfoyle, having a Odd Couple type series? 

Archived