Did Roose order Ramsay to take Hornwood?

Angel Eyes

Or did Ramsay do this while left to his own devices? And did he bring all the Bolton forces in the North to help him? I ask this because it seems odd that a small group (say Ramsay, Reek and the Bastard Boys) would be able to overcome an entire castle garrison without significant numbers.

Ramsay never took the castle by force, that we know of. He kidnapped Lady Hornwood on the way back from Winterfell.  Then, Manderly took Hornwood castle. Since Manderly had taken the castle, maybe he had to hand it over the Boltons as part of the peace with the Lannisters?

24 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Or did Ramsay do this while left to his own devices? And did he bring all the Bolton forces in the North to help him? I ask this because it seems odd that a small group (say Ramsay, Reek and the Bastard Boys) would be able to overcome an entire castle garrison without significant numbers.

From the wiki

Under 'Fighting in the Hornwood'

Following the betrayal of House Stark by the Boltons and Freys at the Red Wedding, the Iron Throne legitimizes Ramsay and names his father, Lord Roose Bolton, Warden of the North.[10] Ramsay presents himself from this point onwards as Lord of the Hornwood and heir to the Dreadfort.[11][12][13][14]

Because Wyman Manderly's son and heir, Ser Wylis, was captured at the Trident, Wyman agrees to a deal with the Lannisters. In exchange for Wyman executing the imprisoned Lord Davos Seaworth, the Hand of the King and envoy of Stannis Baratheon, as well as Wyman withdrawing from the Hornwood lands and castles and submitting to Roose, Wylis will be released from Maidenpool.[15][16][17][18] Sometime after this agreement is made the Manderlys withdraw from Hornwood territory, allowing for the Boltons to take control of the region.

Whilst some Hornwoods submit to Ramsay and attend his wedding to "Arya Stark",[14] other Hornwood survivors of the Bolton betrayal at Winterfell join Stannis following his victorious fight by Deepwood Motte.[19]

Under 'Hornwood'

Recent Events

A Clash of Kings

After Ramsay Snow kidnaps and forcibly marries the widowed Lady Donella Hornwood, Hornwood is seized by Lord Wyman Manderly to prevent it from falling into Ramsay's hands.[6]

A Dance with Dragons

Davos Seaworth learns that smallfolk from along the White Knife and Hornwood have been seeking protection at White Harbor with the Manderlys. Some Hornwood men are also reported to have joined Ramsay's force marching on Moat Cailin.[7]

As a condition for peace with the Iron Throne, Wyman Manderly relinquishes his claim on Hornwood lands and castles.[8] During the wedding of "Arya Stark" to Ramsay, now legitimized as Ramsay Bolton, in Winterfell, Ramsay is introduced as Lord of the Hornwood.[5]

Given what Rosse claims here...

I know what he said. You’re to spy on me and keep his secrets. As if he had secrets. Sour Alyn, Luton, Skinner, and the rest, where does he think they came from? Can he truly believe they are his men?

Reek III, Dance 32

I think it's a safe bet. 

Archived