Is it possible George will release Winds in two parts at once?

Mwm

Martin made a comment on his blog post that his publishers want to split Winds like Feast and Dance were with half the characters, but he said he’s resisting that.

This seems to indicate there’s as much material there for two...

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it likely? No.

GRRM is considerably more famous and printing technology more advanced than it was in 2011,so I suspect the outcome will be to simply publish a much bigger book, and then split it for paperback. George's answer seems to suggest he doesn't even want to do that, instead keeping the word count down to ASoS/ADWD levels and cutting and rewriting as required.

I could see it being like Lord of the Rings, where there's a book one and book two, each focusing on different characters. the first can be the AFFC crew, the second the ADWD crew, but it's in one book. that would at least make it easier to follow. think we're looking at 19 viewpoint characters, each with a very interesting arc to go through, so that could make it flow better. maybe it will even be two separate books in that format, hopefully released within a year of each other. Either way this is gonna be a long and epic story.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:27 PM, Mwm said:

Martin made a comment on his blog post that his publishers want to split Winds like Feast and Dance were with half the characters, but he said he’s resisting that.

This seems to indicate there’s as much material there for two...

How recent was the comment? Had a quick gawk at his blog but didn't see anything like that. 

If he split Winds  like feast/dance it would delay the ending by another 5 years at least!! George would naturally go on a promo tour after releasing book 1 of Winds, get bogged down in other projects and then request write the second part of Winds...

1 hour ago, Ser Uncle P said:

How recent was the comment? Had a quick gawk at his blog but didn't see anything like that. 

If he split Winds  like feast/dance it would delay the ending by another 5 years at least!! George would naturally go on a promo tour after releasing book 1 of Winds, get bogged down in other projects and then request write the second part of Winds...

In the comments for his blog announcement for fire and blood...

12 minutes ago, Mwm said:

In the comments for his blog announcement for fire and blood…

I think you need to point better to which post you are talking about.

Besides that, whether winds is 1 volume or 2 I think that after the whole fiasco of publishing dance 1 year after publishing feast grrm won t ever do it again. So, if the book is so big it has to be divided I think it will be a decision for his publisher and that grrm will deliver the whole manuscript at the same time.

ps Since grrm said there were 200 pages or so that weren t included in dance and that winds was going to be an even bigger book that everybody should be ready for the possiblity of it being too big to be published as a single book...

36 minutes ago, divica said:

Besides that, whether winds is 1 volume or 2 I think that after the whole fiasco of publishing dance 1 year after publishing feast grrm won t ever do it again. So, if the book is so big it has to be divided I think it will be a decision for his publisher and that grrm will deliver the whole manuscript at the same time.

ps Since grrm said there were 200 pages or so that weren t included in dance and that winds was going to be an even bigger book that everybody should be ready for the possiblity of it being too big to be published as a single book...

This is what I hope as well...

Given the reader reaction to the split of Feast and Dance, I doubt that he will go that route.  If it is two volumes, I would expect them to be published together or in close proximity to each other, and being essentially Part 1 and Part 2.  The problem with this is that it would make TWOW quite expensive for readers to purchase, as they would essentially be buying two books.  Which is probably why GRRM is resisting the idea.

However, there is a finite length that one volume can be, and he probably has more than will fit at this point.  Hence the pressure for two volumes.

50 minutes ago, Nevets said:

The problem with this is that it would make TWOW quite expensive for readers to purchase, as they would essentially be buying two books.  Which is probably why GRRM is resisting the idea.

His publishers would be overjoyed, though. It's not like millions of readers would skip out on the second volume because they don't think knowing the conclusion to the story isn't worth the cost of the book.

• 4 weeks later...

If Winds is so large that it requires multiple volumes, then I think it's safe to say Martin has lost control of the plot, and his editor(s) have lost control of Martin. Two volumes means he's expanding the story, not contracting it, and that we will likely never see a conclusion to ASOIAF. 

So I'm hoping the answer is no.

I actually wouldn't mind a Part 1/Part 2.  That just shows the the book and story was always going to be large. I always expected that. I mean, this is the Winter finally. The whole series was building up to it. There was no way it was just going to be one book. I'm not even sure why GRRM and everyone were kidding themselves.

However, if he does a geography split like aFfC and aDwD, then yes that is bad news, as it shows that the main characters are still going their own ways and not coming together.

17 minutes ago, Shpati said:

I actually wouldn't mind a Part 1/Part 2.  That just shows the the book and story was always going to be large. I always expected that. I mean, this is the Winter finally. The whole series was building up to it. There was no way it was just going to be one book. I'm not even sure why GRRM and everyone were kidding themselves.

However, if he does a geography split like aFfC and aDwD, then yes that is bad news, as it shows that the main characters are still going their own ways and not coming together.

grrm said that he left hundreds of pages from Adwd (and probably affc) to be published in winds. Besides that grrm also said that winds will be the biggest book so far...

I can t see how it can be only 1 volume… Everything we know about the book indicates that it won t phisicaly fit...

1 hour ago, divica said:

grrm said that he left hundreds of pages from Adwd (and probably affc) to be published in winds. Besides that grrm also said that winds will be the biggest book so far...

I can t see how it can be only 1 volume… Everything we know about the book indicates that it won t phisicaly fit...

That's what I never understood. I thought it was pretty ambitious to say it will just be one large book when you already have 200 pages to add from the previous book.

GRRM is always going to want to expand, tell a little side story, add more details. Not the other way around.

I hope so.

I'd much rather have a good two volumes than a truncated one volume.

The issue with Feast/Dance was that despite splitting them up, GRRM still did mot complete many of the arcs. If there is a split, we cannot be left hanging (Trials & battles not completed, Jon lying stabbed).

I do not see how this would delay anything as they are released together. And it would (hopefully) make writing the finale easier.

The series will end up being 9 books anyway. A trilogy for each of the trilogies that were planned at first (Game of Thrones, Dance with Dragons, Winds of Winter).

The first 5 books were honestly mostly political based (Game of Thrones). So we are still in the Game of Thrones stage of this series, imo. Let's hope he doesn't make 5 books for the others.

We still haven't got the invasion of Dany and her army. GRRM can probably sum up that story in 2 books. But let's say 3 to be safe.

Then you got the Others (Winds of Winter), which I think will being another 3.

So I think he will eventually run out of titles, and he should opt to go with "Part 1/Part 2".

1 hour ago, Mayor of Winterfell said:

In this thread we learn, en passant, that the manuscript is eventually written and the editing has begun. Compared to the many posts that stated that TWOW will never come out, this all comes remarkedly low-key.

On topic, I wish for the hardcover release a 2 book boxset.

When did we learn this?  I haven't gotten that impression from anything I read here.

Archived