Jump to content
Mwm

Is it possible George will release Winds in two parts at once?

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Mayor of Winterfell said:

In this thread we learn, en passant, that the manuscript is eventually written and the editing has begun. Compared to the many posts that stated that TWOW will never come out, this all comes remarkedly low-key.

On topic, I wish for the hardcover release a 2 book boxset.

 

That would be great news, if true. But I certainly haven't gleaned that from anything I have read. Nor has anyone else. I guess that explains the muted reaction.

Please, point me to the part where the manuscript is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2019 at 8:28 PM, Shpati said:

The series will end up being 9 books anyway. A trilogy for each of the trilogies that were planned at first (Game of Thrones, Dance with Dragons, Winds of Winter).

The first 5 books were honestly mostly political based (Game of Thrones). So we are still in the Game of Thrones stage of this series, imo. Let's hope he doesn't make 5 books for the others.

We still haven't got the invasion of Dany and her army. GRRM can probably sum up that story in 2 books. But let's say 3 to be safe.

Then you got the Others (Winds of Winter), which I think will being another 3.

 

So I think he will eventually run out of titles, and he should opt to go with "Part 1/Part 2".

There is just one little problem: the guy is not neccesary known for being a fast writer. GRRM finishing four more books? He may finish Winds, which I highly doubt. And that's it. Everything else is wishfull thinking. ADWD is now 8 years old. And Winds is not even in sight. Let's say he miraculously finishes Winds this year. Give him at least ten more years for "Dream", that makes the guy, 80 years old. Add 20 more years for two other books, and voilá, 100 year old GRRM finishes the Saga :D

Edited by T and A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, T and A said:

There is just one little problem: the guy is not neccesary known for being a fast writer. GRRM finishing four more books? He may finish Winds, which I highly doubt. And that's it. Everything else is wishfull thinking. ADWD is now 8 years old. And Winds is not even in sight. Let's say he miraculously finishes Winds this year. Give him at least ten more years for "Dream", that makes the guy, 80 years old. Add 20 more years for two other books, and voilá, 100 year old GRRM finishes the Saga :D

Yea I know. I didn't mean to imply if the series will ever be finished or not. I was just saying that it will have to be 9 books in total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Shpati said:

Yea I know. I didn't mean to imply if the series will ever be finished or not. I was just saying that it will have to be 9 books in total.

I could see him split Winds though - or lets say his publishers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am guessing the GRRM wants the plot at a specific point for A Dream of Spring, and all the lose threads tied. I hope that's the case, because that means ADOS should be a lot easier to write with all the difficult work done in TWOW. It also means though that he can't just push a lot of the TWOW content over to ADOS like he has in the past.

There's a point where there are so many pages that it can't be published, so they either need to cut out large parts or rewrite segments which is a lot of work. I'd be satisfied with a two volume hardback set as long as they don't divide up the POV like they did with AFFC and ADWD. I just want the book.

Edited by longest night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, T and A said:

There is just one little problem: the guy is not neccesary known for being a fast writer. GRRM finishing four more books? He may finish Winds, which I highly doubt. And that's it. Everything else is wishfull thinking. ADWD is now 8 years old. And Winds is not even in sight. Let's say he miraculously finishes Winds this year. Give him at least ten more years for "Dream", that makes the guy, 80 years old. Add 20 more years for two other books, and voilá, 100 year old GRRM finishes the Saga :D

I think it depends on if winds is 2 volumes and how things are when the book ends.

If the book is 2 volumes then timewise he didn t take that much to write it and if all characters are in westeros by the end of the book I believe he should write ados much faster than the last books because it is much easier for him to conect the storylines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 6:54 AM, longest night said:

I am guessing the GRRM wants the plot at a specific point for A Dream of Spring, and all the lose threads tied. I hope that's the case, because that means ADOS should be a lot easier to write with all the difficult work done in TWOW. It also means though that he can't just push a lot of the TWOW content over to ADOS like he has in the past.

There's a point where there are so many pages that it can't be published, so they either need to cut out large parts or rewrite segments which is a lot of work. I'd be satisfied with a two volume hardback set as long as they don't divide up the POV like they did with AFFC and ADWD. I just want the book.

Correct answer. 

If he hasn't - after eight years - written enough to be able to publish 'volume one' of TWOW then the series will never be completed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 12:54 AM, longest night said:

I am guessing the GRRM wants the plot at a specific point for A Dream of Spring, and all the lose threads tied. I hope that's the case, because that means ADOS should be a lot easier to write with all the difficult work done in TWOW. It also means though that he can't just push a lot of the TWOW content over to ADOS like he has in the past.

There's a point where there are so many pages that it can't be published, so they either need to cut out large parts or rewrite segments which is a lot of work. I'd be satisfied with a two volume hardback set as long as they don't divide up the POV like they did with AFFC and ADWD. I just want the book.

So basically you would rather have half the story of all the characters?

I'm with you on this.

I'm not entirely sure if he wants the PLOT in a specific point but I'm pretty sure that he wants the CHARACTERS in a specific place. I think he wants Sansa and Jon to be in Winterfell, Cersei (and Jaime if he lives) to be in Casterly Rock, the surviving Tyrells to be in Highgarden, Aegon, Arianne and JonCon to be in King's Landing, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are talking about splitting it, that has too mean he is nearly done with Winds right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think that HBO has some kind of grip on the story and the publish of the books... I think he has most of the story written and is not being published because of contractual stuff with HBO (which, I would guess, wouldn't want the story be told beforehand, If they have control over it). It is kind of far fetched, but take a look:
aGoT: 96

aCoK: 98

aSoS: 2000

aFfC: 2005

aDwD: 2011

 

I can give you that the 1st 3 were already written and waiting for a publisher. but aDwD is published the same year GOT got aired... and it was always delayed, even when he already had a lot of chapters written (left overs from affc and adwd), and has some writing aides...

I do espect the next books being released in kind of a quick succession after the show finishes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danielrodriguez87 said:

I do think that HBO has some kind of grip on the story and the publish of the books... I think he has most of the story written and is not being published because of contractual stuff with HBO (which, I would guess, wouldn't want the story be told beforehand, If they have control over it). It is kind of far fetched, but take a look:
aGoT: 96

aCoK: 98

aSoS: 2000

aFfC: 2005

aDwD: 2011

I can give you that the 1st 3 were already written and waiting for a publisher. but aDwD is published the same year GOT got aired... and it was always delayed, even when he already had a lot of chapters written (left overs from affc and adwd), and has some writing aides...

I do espect the next books being released in kind of a quick succession after the show finishes.

I have suspected the same. I think he withdrew from the writing because he did not want to try to cope with holding both plots in his head at once. 

The show had to be wrapped up after 9 years because the actors want to go on to other projects. So D&D by necessity left out a lot of plot twists. There are many things that work on paper that don't work on screen and vice versa. 

I am fairly certain that book Jon will physically change appearance when he is reborn so he looks more targ and fake aegon will suddenly look Stark. At any rate, that is an option in the books but not really in the show as they would not want to recast the lead. So I suspect that GRRM basically agreed not to publish WoW until after the show is done.

That said, the dividing the book into two... well, the publisher would likely want to do that anyway and they might just be pushing it because they want a book out NOW to capitalize on the end of the show. GRRM is almost certainly not finished with WoW but he almost certainly has a book length output. The issue may well be not wanting to go back and edit at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sincerely hope he's writing all story at once. Winds and Spring, all of it, no pauses, to be split by the publisher.

Why? Because GRRM isn't going to finish ASOIAF any other way. I think he lost control of his characters and plots (hello there, gardener approach), so the best way to go would be writing every character arc till the end, smoothing numerous plot knots along the way.

The Mereneese knot came to be because the couldn't connect plots from the previous book. If he could change the story along, it wouldn't happen. So I really, really hope he writes every character from start (well, WOW start) to finish.

It'll take even longer, but at least it will end somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, danielrodriguez87 said:

I do think that HBO has some kind of grip on the story and the publish of the books... I think he has most of the story written and is not being published because of contractual stuff with HBO (which, I would guess, wouldn't want the story be told beforehand, If they have control over it). It is kind of far fetched, but take a look:

I can give you that the 1st 3 were already written and waiting for a publisher. but aDwD is published the same year GOT got aired... and it was always delayed, even when he already had a lot of chapters written (left overs from affc and adwd), and has some writing aides...

I do espect the next books being released in kind of a quick succession after the show finishes.

I can see it happening.

I did some math earlier: the number of words from twow sample chapters (I have 9 chapters, not sure if there is more than that) is 44k, which is roughly 10~15% of the total words from past books - the book with the less amount of words has 294k and the one with the most words has 419k.

I thought it would be lower, iirc adwd had 4 sample chapters, which sumps up to ~6% of its words.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but no.  I don't think HBO is preventing him from writing.  To me it's pretty clear what happened.  He was initially planning to do a five year gap, he then changed his mind, and then he had to change everything, which he has difficulties doing.  I honestly wish it was him that made the tv show not D&D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pure speculation on my part, but I am with those who think that the penultimate book (TWOW ot TWOW part2) will end with collapse of the wall. That would be a great ending and a huge cliffhanger.

I think that everything afterwards is relatively straightforward. I mean even if GRRM is a "gardener" he would still pobably have a rather detailed outline for the last conflicts and battles and what's in store for the major characters after this watershed moment.

It is what's before that is much more time consuming and complicated as he has to align the players to their positions for the endgame.  All the additional characters and plot lines in AFFC and ADWD were introduced to facilitate this transition. So as soon as he is done with it, it will be much smoother sailing for him. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 11:04 PM, Razha said:

Pure speculation on my part, but I am with those who think that the penultimate book (TWOW ot TWOW part2) will end with collapse of the wall. That would be a great ending and a huge cliffhanger.

I think that everything afterwards is relatively straightforward. I mean even if GRRM is a "gardener" he would still pobably have a rather detailed outline for the last conflicts and battles and what's in store for the major characters after this watershed moment.

It is what's before that is much more time consuming and complicated as he has to align the players to their positions for the endgame.  All the additional characters and plot lines in AFFC and ADWD were introduced to facilitate this transition. So as soon as he is done with it, it will be much smoother sailing for him. 

 

 

Yes except obviously it hasn’t been easier going because here we are with no release in sight and the mummers version spilling all his carefully collected beans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Is it possible that George will release Winds in two parts at once? Maybe, if for no other reason than it being too long to bind as one volume.

Is it possible that George will release Winds in two parts? Hardly, if so we'd have seen Part 1 already.

Is it possible that George will release Winds? To be honest, I'm fairly certain he will. Otherwise, what have those past eight years been spent doing?

Is it possible that George will? If the ending to ASoIaF is never published by GRRM, it will be the great unfinished fantasy work of this generation. Given that the copyright can be sorted out, I bet other writers would try to bring the saga to a conclusion their way, giving us several different endings to choose between.

Is it possible? On a general basis, I'd say yes. Of course, the question is getting so short at this point it's hard to tell what it's even asking.

Is it? Yes. Time to end this joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the right place to post this.

GRRM appears to be putting a line in the sand for at least the final draft of TWoW being completed in his Not a Blog. The post being in response to Air New Zealand's tweet in Valyrian offering to fly him to New Zealand for free.

Quote

As it happens, I do have enough money to make it to New Zealand on my own… but there are many American writers, fans and artists who do not. If you'd care to fly, say, twenty or thirty or fifty of them to Wellington in place of me, I have no doubt they would instantly accept, and fall in love with Middle Earth."

Martin said he fears New Zealand would distract him too much to finish his book here.

"But I tell you this - if I don't have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I'm done," his blog says.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2019/05/game-of-thrones-author-george-rr-martin-to-visit-new-zealand-after-air-nz-invitation.html

For those that don't know, white Island (uninhabited) is a highly active volcano off the coast of the North Island. A most desolate place indeed and not a place anyone would want to spend significant time for any reason.

So I hope that is a sign of great confidence on the part of GRRM that the book will be done before he comes to World Con in Wellington.

It's a bit of a bummer I won't still be living in Wellington for World Con, but I'll only be 2hrs drive away, and I'll still be working in the city.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×