What does Stannis’ chapter reveal about the Pink Letter

maiden of tarth

2 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Varys whereabouts are fairly suspect throughout this whole thing.  Really, the last time we see him (or realize we see him, as the case may be) is the epilogue of Dance. So he is in Westeros at least at that point. 

I thought at one time he went to Pentos, too, but he was noticeably absent during the Illyrio chapters, where he would be a natural fit given their partnership.  Based on descriptions, I don't think he was on the Shy Maid, either, where he would fit (in that he is involved in the plot). I don't see a sign of him in Slaver's Bay, either. 

So where does that leave us? He is either elsewhere in Westeros or perhaps Braavos. I would like to reread Arya's chapters.  This may be pure personal interest, but I would like to see how Varys interacts in Braavos.  It seems like a place where he could pick up on a variety of things - after all, Arya, Samwell, Gilly, and Daeron all passed through there.  Again, I don't know of any textual references to put Varys here, just personal thoughts.

Oh I totally forgot that Varys was not in the Tyrion chapters in Pentos or Andalos. Yeah, Cersei might have been onto something in Feast with all her paranoia. But instead of Tyrion sneaking through the Red Keep, it was Varys.

And I am totally looking forward to the Arya-Varys reunion.

Now that Arya has become an acolyte of the Faceless Men and can see through glamors and disguises, I wonder if she will be able to recognize Varys as the "wizard" plotting beneath the Red Keep.

Arya chapters in A Dream of Spring are going to be super fun to read.

54 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Good point here. Mance would never have used the terminology, if captured, which would be presumably how Ramsey would find out about it.

I am of the impressions that Ramsey did not write the letter, but I don't know who did.

A new interest that I just garnered from reading this thread is chronology.  I had assumed that the WOW chapter occurred after Dance, but as mentioned, the first few chapters of Storm occurred at the same time as the events of the Battle of the Blackwater.

I believe it was generally Stannis and his soutron knights who used that terminology. Which is why I personally subscribe to the theory that either Stannis or Melisandre wrote that letter.

3 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

can see through glamors and disguises

Can she? I don't recall this.

3 minutes ago, Aldarion said:

I believe it was generally Stannis and his soutron knights who used that terminology. Which is why I personally subscribe to the theory that either Stannis or Melisandre wrote that letter.

I could buy this. 

12 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Read the end of chapter 6 in A Feast for Crows.

It's the first Arya chapter where the kindly man tries to scare Arya off.

Can she see through it or everyone can as long as they pay enough atention? For exemple, when jon fights mance in dance the shape of his body starts to change and jon finds that strange...

I think in order to imediatly see through glamours she would need to open her third eye or whatever version the faceless have of it. However I admit I don t remember nearly anything from those arya chapters...

On 5/12/2019 at 8:56 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

Littlefinger doesn't have to have an interest in the Night's Watch. He does, however, have an interest in Stannis and Jon Snow.

I know of no interest in Jon Snow.  His interest in Stannis probably extends to him being a threat to Cersei's rule.

How is he getting the required information? Spies. I told you, I think Satin is a spy. Satin is the type of boy to be employed in Littlefinger's brothels.

I doubt Satin is a spy.  When he joined the NW there was no reason to expect that he would have access to useful information.  

If Littlefinger wants the Iron Throne, the North is going to be a concern of his.

Littlefinger doesn't want the Iron Throne.  He wants to be influencing the person who is on the Iron Throne.  And while the North might be interesting eventually, it isn't now, except insofar as he can entice Ssansa with it.  And publicly available info should suffice.

6 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

You are correct in that I know I have a tendency to forget a key part of the whole North plot - Littlefinger provided Jeyne Poole.

Littlefinger provided Jeyne Poole to ingratiate himself with the Lannisters.  Remember that Tywin was still alive at the time.  It cost him nothing, since she was already in his possession.  I doubt the North had anything to do with it.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:48 AM, Aldarion said:

Another clue is the letter referring to the "wildling princess" and the "little prince". Ramsay, being Northerner, ought to be aware that wildlings do not have princesses. But Stannis would not know it, and in fact he is the one who consistently insisted on referring to them as "princess" and "prince".

The Northerners don't know that much about the Wildlings,  If I recall correctly, Jon's knowledge of them was quite sparse, and he was from the leading house in the North.

5 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Read the end of chapter 6 in A Feast for Crows.

It's the first Arya chapter where the kindly man tries to scare Arya off.

She didn't see through the glamour.  She was simply showing him that she wasn't scared.  She is, I think, getting better at seeing through disguises, but Varys's disguises are quite good, and she had little contact with him.

I think Mance sent the Pink Letter.  Could have been all part of a plot by both Mance & Mel.  Mel wants Jon to rally the Wildlings to help Stannis.  Mance on the other hand wants Jon to rally the Wildlings & bring them to him.  There were a lot of details in that letter that Ramsey wouldn’t know unless he tortured Mance & got all of those minute details.  I expect that once Jon is resurrected the Wildlings will be in awe of him.  He’ll lead them to Winterfell & win the Battle.  Mance will expect the Wildlings to fall back in line but they will have turned to Jon now.  

Mance will challenge for leadership but this time Jon will remember his fight with a glamoured Mance & make the necessary adjustments and defeat him (maybe even be reluctantly forced to kill him similar to Qhorin).  Afterwards, the Northern Lords & Wildlings will all select Jon as their King in the North & the Lands Beyond the Wall.  This could be much to the chagrin of Stannis who’s troops will be too decimated to contest and he will be forced to settle into the Nightfort until he falls to the temptation to become “King” of the Others & lead their army...  How’s that for some tinfoil???

Something about that island with the weir wood and in the Theon chapter that Bran (more likely Bloodraven) wants Stannis to go to intrigues me.  Could Bran or BR be setting Stannis up for a dragonglass shank to the chest?  Then Asha & Theon escape?  This could set up a scenario where (similar to the show) the Bolton’s catch Stannis’ men unawares while he’s away (could be intentionally done by Bran/BR to get a desired outcome: Jon as KitN).  Stannis eventually completes his change to an Other in the Nightfort.  

Been re-reading here, and more convinced than ever that the Pink Letter is a fake. If Ramsay defeats Stannis at the crofter's village, he has Reek. Or, if Stannis did give him to the tree, surely someone has been flayed until they gave that info up. Either way he knows where Reek is.

No, Mance wrote that letter with Theon's help. Theon gives it away, thinking of what the letter said and laughing, half in amusement (boy, we pulled a fast one) half in despair (what Ramsay will do if he finds out). 

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Greywater-Watch said:

A question for timeline: How much time would it take for Justin Massey to reach Castle Black?

He left the crofter's village on orders from Stannis soon after the Theon 1 chapter (the same day or the next day, I assume).

When the pink letter arrives at CB, he has not arrived yet.

Travel time for a small group on horses, average speed at 24 mpd. At a slow pace, 18 mpd. The CV is not too far from Winterfell, and the distance between Winterfell and CB is (~) 680 miles. 

But...

Spoiler

TWoW Theon I takes place before ADwD Jon XIII

9 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Travel time for a small group on horses, average speed at 24 mpd. At a slow pace, 18 mpd. The CV is not too far from Winterfell, and the distance between Winterfell and CB is (~) 680 miles. 

But...

Hide contents

TWoW Theon I takes place before ADwD Jon XIII

Jon went from Winterfell to CB in book 1 in 3 weeks or something similar. 

Given the weather now is worse I would say around 4 weeks 

Also, and maybe this is just being pedantic, but i don’t think he had actually left by the end of the chapter, Stannis had only given the orders or stated his intention. I’m not saying that just to be pedantic, just that we all know the best laid plans often go awry in this series so Massey’s departure could easily be delayed.

(I’m also very sceptical he will ever get to Braavos since the Eastwatch fleet is currently dying a slow death at Hardhome but thats another thread)

Archived