Why did Walder Frey allow Edmure Tully to touch Roslin Frey?

Alexander Leonard

17 minutes ago, Alexander Leonard said:

As the mastermind of the Red Wedding, why didn't Walder Frey kill Edmure before he and Roslin consumated their marriage? Why didn't he have a plan to prevent Edmure from touching Roslin, his most beautiful daughter?

Because having the Tully heir would be valuable to Frey. They make it clear that Frey is going to kill Edmure once he conceives a son on Roslin. 

6 hours ago, Alexander Leonard said:

Why didn't he have a plan to prevent Edmure from touching Roslin, his most beautiful daughter?

Like the others say: a Frey with Tully roots has a better claim to RR, than one with Lannister. I have the very bad feeling that once Jaime takes his army with him to Oldtown or Storms End, the Riverlords without any hostage and the ones who can free their hostages are going to kill Gennas Freys. A Tully heir would prevent them from doing the same with the whole house Frey

4 hours ago, Karneol said:

Like the others say: a Frey with Tully roots has a better claim to RR, than one with Lannister. I have the very bad feeling that once Jaime takes his army with him to Oldtown or Storms End, the Riverlords without any hostage and the ones who can free their hostages are going to kill Gennas Freys. A Tully heir would prevent them from doing the same with the whole house Frey

So he intentionally sacrificed his daughter’s happiness for his political gain?

50 minutes ago, Alexander Leonard said:

Seriously? Since when lords care about their daughter's happiness in this medieval world?

Girls are destined to be married in order to strengthen the House, period.

The whole idea of giving Riverrun to Emmon and Genna was Tywin.  I'm not certain that Walder knew that originally, so I am sure that is part of the reason for allowing the wedding to be consummated and continued.  Tywin giving Riverrun to his sister and her Frey husband was just another example of his greediness getting away with him.  There didn't seem to be a House he wasn't willing to try and take by marriage, even from so called 'allies' like the Freys and Boltons.  Hell, he had one of his nephews wed a BABY, for craps' sake. 

43 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Poor Genna… She doesn't deserve what's (probably) will happen in Riverrun…

Why not? Sure she does! Lol

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

The whole idea of giving Riverrun to Emmon and Genna was Tywin.  I'm not certain that Walder knew that originally, so I am sure that is part of the reason for allowing the wedding to be consummated and continued.  Tywin giving Riverrun to his sister and her Frey husband was just another example of his greediness getting away with him.  There didn't seem to be a House he wasn't willing to try and take by marriage, even from so called 'allies' like the Freys and Boltons.  Hell, he had one of his nephews wed a BABY, for craps' sake. 

That could be true, but Walder probably expected Riverrun anyway. Someone would have to take it. And Tywin should reward Walder somehow, its not like he gets to keep his hostages

15 hours ago, Alexander Leonard said:

As the mastermind of the Red Wedding, why didn't Walder Frey kill Edmure before he and Roslin consumated their marriage? Why didn't he have a plan to prevent Edmure from touching Roslin, his most beautiful daughter?

What are the chances shed get pregnant? The RW needed a real distraction. Robbs generals are some of the greatest warriors in the realm, all eyes on the bedding however and Robbs as good as dead

18 hours ago, Alexander Leonard said:

To consummate the marriage and remove any out clause for Edmure, should he survive.  Walder is no prude.

I think Walder was really obsessed with the idea of a Tully marrying one of his family. It pissed him off that Hoster rejected his previous offers. 

For the wedding to be legitimate, it had to be consummated. So, this was just another way for Walder to say "Up yours!" to Hoster and the Tullys in general. 

And the potential of putting Frey blood into the Tully line is probably icing on the cake. Such an heir, male or female, could be used strategically in the future. 

Besides what others have said, it was a wedding. If he kills Edmure before the bedding he’d be alerting everyone and their dogs that something is off. Plus, Walder Frey is not exactly father of the year. 

11 hours ago, Alexander Leonard said:

Who says his daughter is unhappy at marrying Edmure?  From what we've heard, she actually likes the guy.   Although she was clearly unhappy about the Red Wedding, but that probably couldn't be helped, in any event.

As for Edmure himself, Walder wants a Frey heir to Riverrun.  He has to keep Edmure alive at least that long.

The answer is in the books... For Riverrun of course.

Lord Edmure is taken down again. His wife's with child, did you know?"

He hadn't. "Edmure bedded her, after the Red Wedding?"

"He was bedding her during the Red Wedding. Roslin's a pretty little thing, hardly stoatish at all. And fond of Edmure, queerly. Perwyn tells me she's praying for a girl."

Jaime considered that a moment. "Once Edmure's son is born, Lord Walder will have no more need of Edmure."

AFfC - Jaime V

Archived