Captain Marvel Thread 2: Talk to me Goose...

Jaxom 1974

Finally saw it.

Great soundtrack. Good story. Jude Law was great. I really liked Brie Larson.  Sam Jackson just seemed to be having fun.  My kids thought the cat was great.   I was a little surprised by the direction they went in with the Skrulls...

It wasn't the strongest Marvel movie, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable.  I could easily see myself rewatching, especially once it hits FX and the like channels and is played incessantly, unlike the first couple of Thor movies which remain a struggle to watch. 

I really enjoyed it (and loved the twist with the Skrulls), although I wish the action sequences were a bit more memorable. The only one that's really distinctive is 

Spoiler

when she goes super saiyan full power and punches through a big spaceship, followed by the stare-down with Ronan the Accuser. Unless you count her knocking Yon-Rogg across the desert rather than taking his bait as an action sequence (although I think it of more as a comedy/character bit). 

And never forget. Goose is a she.

Got around to seeing it a second time on Friday. 

Ended up with a little kid behind me kicking my seat, but he was so excited for the movie I decided to forgive him, and just leaned forward throughout the film.

12 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Sad. I thought it blatant. 

Same - I liked it, started to laugh and my wife wondered what was funny, but then pop culture is not her thing.

Really enjoyed the movie - liked that they started in the middle and worked around the memories.

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

Wait, is the Top Gun reference simply that the cat is called Goose? because I got that one. But is there a subtler reference?

Not that I recall.  Although I'm still trying to remember these Pulp Fiction references, so I guess I'm already forgetting the movie at about two weeks.

12 hours ago, mormont said:

Never mind the Top Gun references, it was the Pulp Fiction references that cracked me up. :p

So much this.

I absolutely loved this film. Nothing really to say that hasnt already been said though. Quickly jumping back to the running comments though, yes it looked weird, but it was also fairly obvious that was due to the metal handguards and being barefoot (i.e. intentional) since this is rectified in the following scene where she runs in boots without the guards

9 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I absolutely loved this film. Nothing really to say that hasnt already been said though. Quickly jumping back to the running comments though, yes it looked weird, but it was also fairly obvious that was due to the metal handguards and being barefoot (i.e. intentional) since this is rectified in the following scene where she runs in boots without the guards

Running?

Looks like $1 billion is a lock for this movie. Before it released I was looking for something in the $750-$800M range to be regarded as a very good performance. Above $800M would be excellent and exceed expectations. Never in my wildest imagination did I think $1Bn was on the cards. Sure, despite people saying CM is skippable for Endgame (which I disagree with), the proximity to the Endgame release probably gave CM an assist. But if people weren't liking it (A cinema score on opening weekend) they would be seeing it, or recommending to friends to see it.

This actually does put quite a burden on CM2 to deliver similar results. IMO it's going to need something like Rogue stealing her powers to deliver.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Not that I recall.  Although I'm still trying to remember these Pulp Fiction references, so I guess I'm already forgetting the movie at about two weeks.

There's the scene at the Rambeau's house, where Talos is sipping from a fast-food soda when he enters: the shot is identical to the Pulp Fiction shot of Jules drinking the Big Kahuna Burger soda. Then later, when the Kree check the lunchbox and find the Tesseract inside, it's set up to mirror the briefcase scene, with the glowing object inside the case/box illuminating the person's face as it's opened. 

13 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Running?

Looks like $1 billion is a lock for this movie. Before it released I was looking for something in the $750-$800M range to be regarded as a very good performance. Above $800M would be excellent and exceed expectations. Never in my wildest imagination did I think $1Bn was on the cards. Sure, despite people saying CM is skippable for Endgame (which I disagree with), the proximity to the Endgame release probably gave CM an assist. But if people weren't liking it (A cinema score on opening weekend) they would be seeing it, or recommending to friends to see it.

This actually does put quite a burden on CM2 to deliver similar results. IMO it's going to need something like Rogue stealing her powers to deliver.

Have the sequel focusing on the cosmic side of things eg have her in the thick of the kree war or mixing it up with the guardians. 

I think Rogue will happen put possibly in the form of an avengers vs x-men film - it'd work as an inciting incident and take the avengers most powerful player off the table. 

I look forward to an announcement on how/if/when the FF and X-men will be incorporated into the MCU. Part of me feels like the FF (and their villains) should be brought in first. I think if the dark Phoenix film sucks they may be better doing a Wolverine solo and possibly a Storm solo (which could be black pantherish with her being worshipped as a god in africa and learning humility. I just feel like whatever they do they need to keep the x-men relatively insular because they work best that way and because I feel part of the reason the MCU is so rich is because they had to develop other properties while spidey and x-men were unavailable. Far too tempting to turn the MCU into the x-verse.

11 minutes ago, red snow said:

I look forward to an announcement on how/if/when the FF and X-men will be incorporated into the MCU. Part of me feels like the FF (and their villains) should be brought in first. 

That is my hope. I sense that the X-men are still too fresh in peoples memories to simply replace them and I'm not sure that the MCU will simply transplant the characters and actors from the latest movies ( do we really want Jean Grey played by Sophie Turner?!) 

That doesn't mean you can't have the X-men using a whole different set of characters.. there are loads to choose from.

The FF are far better fit for the where the MCU is right now, especially the Galactic side of things. I'm hopeful Marvel can balance that colourful kitsch with the serious side that previous movies have really struggled with. 

Archived