Captain Marvel Thread 2: Talk to me Goose...

Jaxom 1974

14 hours ago, karaddin said:

I was going with the latter option - Skrull discipline was breaking down, the others were all already splitting up to take on covert roles and that one goes rogue. But on second thoughts..are we seeing his view when he shoots? The shot takes out the phone box, is it possible that was actually the target and we just saw the shot lined up on her head when he was spying on what was happening? Genuine question, I don't remember.

I agree, he may not have been even aiming at her, but actually at the phone, trying to cut off her communication with the Kree and isolate her so they would have a chance to talk before the rest of the Kree arrived.  

11 hours ago, DMC said:

This doesn't really follow considering Talos' subsequent actions.

Sure it does. When aggression doesn't work you roll over and expose your belly hoping your enemy will rub it and not rip your guts out.

I think Talos' un-skrull-like demeanor was a direct result of Ben Mendleson's casting, and his ability to pull it off.... For me, it works because aliens tend to be written one dimensionally.... --like 60's Klingons-- but it stands to reason that --if you use humans as a measuring stick-- any race of aliens would probably be just as personality diverse as we are.... 

So..... it seems so weird because they showed us skrulls but didn't really flip the switch and "use them."     There was no secret invasion because that's for later.  So we got secret survival.   stayin' alive.  In a way that could totally be used to topple or take over a planet.  Only it wasn't.  Looks like aggression.  But no, it's a bunch of goofball refugees.  The embedded human boss skrull seemed very menacing like secret invasion was underway.  Then he wasn't, and it wasn't. 

Is this ball fake supposed to get a huge pop out of me?  I felt like doing the wave for a second, because it was a surprise.  But it's fading.  Now I know how people felt let down when they expected The Mandarin and got Ben Kingsley stinkin up the jon.  I liked ironman 3 because i didn't have expectations for Mandarin.  Yet here the skrulls didn't really get to do their thing AND i expected them to, after every synopsis pimps them as doing that particular one thing they didn't do.   And i don't feel great about them as happy chameleons.  Happy shapeshifter friends are still shapeshifters , and how long does happiness last.   So this good times burp of an intro to them feels like a complete episode, but not a momentous or weighty one.   One alien species we boo, the other we cheer.  Got it.   Small in scale, like a vacation to Trinidad but not Tobago.

Yeah the Skrulls being ‘the good guys’ was actually quite a pleasant surprise when I first saw it, but the more I think about it , I think it was a plotting error. It pretty much deflated the entire level of threat in the whole movie, leaving very little to care about by the last third. I certainly wasn’t bothered about the Skrulls plight. 

Hopefully a full secret invasion can happen in a future movie but I think they might have used all their Skrulls juice on this one.

Maybe just because i dont read the comics so only no about secret invasion from this forum but i thought the Skrulls as “good” or rather simply using their powers to protect themselves worked absolutely fine. And yes, i did feel for their plight as i would for any peoples forced into becoming refugees.

Added to this, the “twist” does not mean that the secret invasion thing cant happen at a later date anyway

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I certainly wasn’t bothered about the Skrulls plight. 

I'm shocked.  But most people could identify with it on some level, and it was well done.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm shocked.  But most people could identify with it on some level, and it was well done.

It was ok. I mean a bunch of refugees on a ship, little baby Skrulls so happy to see daddy skrull... was pretty much the least inspired way it could have been presented. It was just the sort of thing I’ve seen plenty of times before.

I did however really enjoy the Skrulls in the early half of the movie. 

48 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It was just the sort of thing I’ve seen plenty of times before.

You could say this about literally every aspect of literally every superhero movie, ever.

Just now, DMC said:

You could say this about literally every aspect of literally every superhero movie, ever.

Lots of superhero movies fall into the trap of presenting the same tropes and themes in the same way I agree. Howver the best ones add an individual vision or twist that makes them stand out. 

I think it's easy enough for Captain Marvel to be the start of Secret Invasion. Did Carol count the all Skrulls in and out? Early on they might have split into 2 groups, one to secretly infiltrate, the other to track down and contact or neutralise Vers. No point in putting all eggs in one basket, so why not have most Skrulls go to where Captain Marvel takes them, but a smaller group head towards Earth? Earth is now a safe haven from the Kree, because the Kree believe the Skrulls all buggered off with the traitor Vers.

I'm guessing there's going to be a big $1Bn party with the Captain Marvel crew. I doubt many people thought it would come close to that kind of gross. I certainly didn't. In some ways I think the online hate it got actually boosted it. Some Youtubers who claimed to not care about the movie made 30 or more Captain Marvel vidoes to try to dump on it and make it fail, before the movie even came out.

I was going to go see this a couple weeks ago but circumstances changed that. Anyhow, got to see it yesterday. I LOVED it!!!

Probably in my top tier of Marvel films

I know my favorite right now is Thor Ragnarok, then The Winter Soldier, then the first Avengers, followed by Infinity War, GOTG 2, Iron Man, Civil War, and  Iron Man 3.  Captain Marvel I think is next.

Also, I now have a new #1 favorite for Stan Lee cameos. I loved that one!

On 3/25/2019 at 5:24 AM, mormont said:

There's the scene at the Rambeau's house, where Talos is sipping from a fast-food soda when he enters: the shot is identical to the Pulp Fiction shot of Jules drinking the Big Kahuna Burger soda. Then later, when the Kree check the lunchbox and find the Tesseract inside, it's set up to mirror the briefcase scene, with the glowing object inside the case/box illuminating the person's face as it's opened. 

I didn't get those, but I did get the Pulp Fiction one with Fury and Coulson (Talos) driving in the car together. Both in their black suits and white shirts, shot just like Jules and Vincent were in their car scene.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/03/02/captain-marvel-pulp-fiction-viral-meme-samuel-l-jackson/

I also loved the Independence Day reference. Flying through the canyon, I was hoping for Rambeau or Fury to say something like "I know you didn't shoot that green shit at me!"

I also thought, "If this movie was set in 1996, they could have had Rambeau jettison a parachute onto Yon Rogg's fighter blinding him and that causing him to crash, then with Fury looking at Rambeau, she'd shrug and say 'Saw that in a movie.'"

On 3/30/2019 at 11:01 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Maybe just because i dont read the comics so only no about secret invasion from this forum but i thought the Skrulls as “good” or rather simply using their powers to protect themselves worked absolutely fine. And yes, i did feel for their plight as i would for any peoples forced into becoming refugees.

Added to this, the “twist” does not mean that the secret invasion thing cant happen at a later date anyway

Yeah I'm in the same boat and it worked fine for me. I'd rather they steer clear of the secret invasion plotline later in the sense that I think "refugees that turn into a sleeper threat" is going to appeal to some sensibilities I'm really not on board with but if they go that way it needs to be clearly differentiated from this first visit with Talos.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:24 AM, Kalbear said:

But no. At that point they knew she was super special and they needed to grab her and find out what her deal was. They knew she had the coordinates for some reason. And they try to kill her?

I think at that point they'd gotten all the information they thought they'd need from her, no? Mar-Vell, Project Pegasus, the coordinates of the hidden base, etc. If they saw her communicating with Yon-Rogg, maybe the one who shot figured it was a calculated risk to take her out before she could call in backup.

And are we sure he's shooting at her? Doesn't she push Fury out of the way? Talos and the others are obviously also nearby because one of them clones Coulson. Maybe it was a distraction shot so Talos et. al. could infiltrate SHIELD.

19 hours ago, karaddin said:

Yeah I'm in the same boat and it worked fine for me. I'd rather they steer clear of the secret invasion plotline later in the sense that I think "refugees that turn into a sleeper threat" is going to appeal to some sensibilities I'm really not on board with but if they go that way it needs to be clearly differentiated from this first visit with Talos.

I know right? Even though Europeans did a secret invasion of sorts on most of the world, they're not all bad.

So one of the reasons we got refugees instead of invaders is so the writers could do anti border propaganda?   Probably.   The secret invasion was but one more book the left had to burn.  There's No Walls in Space! after all.  But notice how Danvers flew them across the border away from the U.S. and into el norte del Andromeda?   So the ending is symbolically fun for everyone!   Disney, walking the line.

16 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

So one of the reasons we got refugees instead of invaders is so the writers could do anti border propaganda?   Probably.   The secret invasion was but one more book the left had to burn.  There's No Walls in Space! after all.  But notice how Danvers flew them across the border away from the U.S. and into el norte del Andromeda?   So the ending is symbolically fun for everyone!   Disney, walking the line.

Don’t you have better things to do?

So far, our villains have been mostly individuals or shadey organisations. The only species that's been presented as pure evil are the Dark Elves from Thor 2. The Kree must have some good folks, and the Skrulls must have some bad eggs. I don't see why the Skrull plotline can't develop along the lines of any other species, being some militant people out for revenge, and others who want to just establish a peaceful life in a new home. The Skrulls can target Earth as a secret base, because earth still mostly doesn't know about them.

#notall... cuts both ways.

Galactic species need to be mostly shades of grey, like humans, and not all one thing or another. It's lazy world building to make species totally warmongery or peaceful, passive or aggressive, greedy or generous. When stories do that then people start reading social commentary subtext into these cultures: The greedy ones are the Jews. The brutish violent ones are the Africans. The cunning intelligent ones are the Asians (who always have the best female fighters). The noble warrior heroes who always save the day are the Europeans. It's a story as old as racism.

Archived