Captain Marvel Thread 2: Talk to me Goose...

Jaxom 1974

3 hours ago, mormont said:

There's the scene at the Rambeau's house, where Talos is sipping from a fast-food soda when he enters: the shot is identical to the Pulp Fiction shot of Jules drinking the Big Kahuna Burger soda. Then later, when the Kree check the lunchbox and find the Tesseract inside, it's set up to mirror the briefcase scene, with the glowing object inside the case/box illuminating the person's face as it's opened. 

Thanks.  Remember the lunchbox upon reminder, but I didn't make the Jules connection - probably because I was too busy thinking how ridiculous it was that an alien was drinking a big gulp.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

That is my hope. I sense that the X-men are still too fresh in peoples memories to simply replace them and I'm not sure that the MCU will simply transplant the characters and actors from the latest movies ( do we really want Jean Grey played by Sophie Turner?!) 

That doesn't mean you can't have the X-men using a whole different set of characters.. there are loads to choose from.

The FF are far better fit for the where the MCU is right now, especially the Galactic side of things. I'm hopeful Marvel can balance that colourful kitsch with the serious side that previous movies have really struggled with. 

Marvel's approach of fun films with action should fit the FF perfectly. Just don't have any of the characters being miserable (including the Thing) or working for some evil military complex.

Looking at Marvel's properties we surely have a Black Panther, Captain Marvel and GOTG sequel to look forward to. Dr Strange might be back - especially if he continues to have a big role in Endgame. Shang Chi and Eternals are being developed along with Black Widow. I'd love another Thor film as he's become my favorite Marvel character since infinity and Hemsworth and the directors seem to have a take on the character that works really well now But maybe they could squeeze him into someone else's sequel (like Hulk squeezed into ragnarok and everyone did Cap 3). They also produce the Spidey films so that's a busy schedule without trying to squeeze in FF and X-men.

Although I'd be up for a big cosmic avengers film with the GOTG, Captain Marvel and Thor.

I really want a good FF movie.  There's enough precedent to get them out there without driving deeply into their backstory.  Explain their being away for Endgame by having them ott the in the cosmos.  Something like that.  But who the hell do you cast? That's half the issue. 

Also, my one gripe with Captain Marvel seems from a lack of Peggy Carter...missed opportunity. 

We finally saw this yesterday.  We all thought it was OK but not great.  I definitely have some Marvel fatigue so a movie needs some distinctive energy or humor to register anymore, e.g. Ragnarok (humor), GotG (humor and overall feel), Black Panther (overall feel).  This was very much middle of the pack.

The Top Gun and Pulp Fiction references elicited a chuckle, but there’s a fine line between Easter eggs and cheap gimmicks.  A big problem was that most of the attempted jokes fell flat as Captain Marvel tried to stay in badass mode throughout but the deadpan delivery didn’t work, which left the first ~70% of the movie feeling humorless and therefore kind of smug.  Robert Downey Jr does a good job of delivering humorous lines while staying cocky/badass/alpha throughout although Chris Hemsworth really didn’t until Ragnarok.  Definitely improvement needed with this character.

I liked the visuals of Hala and the Kree at the start, and the scene at the end with Captain Marvel slicing through Ronan’s fleet was awesome.  But otherwise not a lot stood out here.  The de-aging of Fury and Rambeau were pretty incredible.  Samuel L Jackson can have a second career.

Okay, this is still bugging me. 

Why did the skrulls try to shoot Carol on earth? They do so right after she talks with Yonn, setting off a big chase and fight scene, but...why would they do that?

20 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Okay, this is still bugging me. 

Why did the skrulls try to shoot Carol on earth? They do so right after she talks with Yonn, setting off a big chase and fight scene, but...why would they do that?

In what context? That part didn't strike me as being unusual. At that point, Carol was a hostile. The Skrulls didn't know her deal. They wanted to apprehend a person of interest. Given all of the people around her, maybe the Skrull got spooked that he wouldn't get a better opportunity to take her in since she was starting to cause a stir with Earth locals.

But no. At that point they knew she was super special and they needed to grab her and find out what her deal was. They knew she had the coordinates for some reason. And they try to kill her?

55 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Obviously, they set their phasers to stun.

36 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

But no. At that point they knew she was super special and they needed to grab her and find out what her deal was. They knew she had the coordinates for some reason. And they try to kill her?

But you're assuming that blast would've killed her. They already tried to take her on their ship and failed. They knew she can take a beating. A blast that could kill anyone else would likely only stun her.

3 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

But you're assuming that blast would've killed her. They already tried to take her on their ship and failed. They knew she can take a beating. A blast that could kill anyone else would likely only stun her.

Dude, they shot for her head. And prior to that they explicitly did NOT shoot her on fear of hurting her (on their ship). They chose to go beat people up, then. 

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Obviously, they set their phasers to stun.

Probably a better explanation.

11 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Dude, they shot for her head. And prior to that they explicitly did NOT shoot her on fear of hurting her (on their ship). They chose to go beat people up, then. 

Probably a better explanation.

She could quite literally exist in the vacuum of space. For all intents and purposes, that gun was set to stun, even if it wasn't. A gun isn't going to take down someone like Carol.

They'd.... shifted from interrogating her to saving their own ass.  (Once she checks in with kree HQ the exterminators will be sent to Earth for the skrulls.   Eh.  That's what i'm going with.   Then, by investigating Mar Vell, did Danvers actually come back toward the skrulls to where they felt it was possible to get thru to her now where they'd failed before on the ship....because she was getting her old life's memories back.

Well, it keeps the twist that they aren't the villains going for a bit longer? Which is what it boils down to but in terms of trying to make sense of it she was a kree agent and powerful. Probably best to treat her as hostile (which she was) and not take any chances. And phasers set to stun.

49 minutes ago, red snow said:

Well, it keeps the twist that they aren't the villains going for a bit longer? Which is what it boils down to but in terms of trying to make sense of it she was a kree agent and powerful. Probably best to treat her as hostile (which she was) and not take any chances. And phasers set to stun.

That would make more sense if they also tried to kill her on the ship, which they didn't. They expressly did not try to kill her there. 

I would have liked some idea of why. Maybe that guy was pissed that she killed his friends and said 'screw the orders, she's going down' and that would be that. 

59 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

That would make more sense if they also tried to kill her on the ship, which they didn't. They expressly did not try to kill her there. 

I would have liked some idea of why. Maybe that guy was pissed that she killed his friends and said 'screw the orders, she's going down' and that would be that. 

Maybe he rolled a natural 1 on his non lethal attack and has a jerk DM?

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I was going with the latter option - Skrull discipline was breaking down, the others were all already splitting up to take on covert roles and that one goes rogue. But on second thoughts..are we seeing his view when he shoots? The shot takes out the phone box, is it possible that was actually the target and we just saw the shot lined up on her head when he was spying on what was happening? Genuine question, I don't remember.

Way I see it, the Skrulls possibly felt like they got all the info they were going to get from her, seeing how powerful she was when she beat up their ship. Trying to take her in again, with no restraining device, which ended up not restraining her anyway, seems like a bad idea. Best to just try to take her out.

43 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Trying to take her in again, with no restraining device, which ended up not restraining her anyway, seems like a bad idea. Best to just try to take her out.

This doesn't really follow considering Talos' subsequent actions.

Archived