POLL: Will you continue to read the books if _________

Aline de Gavrillac

Since I don't have a single favorite, it isn't too much of a worry for me.  Even if my favorite (Arya) were to die or go bad, I would keep reading, as there are plenty of others I like as well.  Plus, I want to see how it ends.

6 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I feel like if you only enjoy these books for one character, then you're not really a fan. 

Yeah, but that's not what she said.  Also, nobody is under any obligation to be "really a fan", especially under someone else's definition.

43 minutes ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

________ your favorite character dies?  

My answer is NO.  What is your answer>

Well, I don’t think Shitmouth is going to die anytime soon, so, yeah. 

For real, though, of course I will keep reading. 

Even if GRRM does become fully heartless and kills off Sam. 

Yes.

I don't have a favorite character. To me this is a larger story than just this or that character. I care about how well a story is told. Unless a story is about this or that character, I prefer characters appear no more or less often than they are needed to tell the story, and then they should leave the story when their part is done (this doesn't need to mean death). Even if I had enjoyed a story all the way to the ending, if the ending makes no sense for the story told, then I will hate the whole story. Happy ending, sad ending, ambiguous ending. All are fine by me as long as they follow from the story just told.

I know the show is usually verboten on this side, but I have to ask if you mean a death on the show (with the last season almost here) or in any on going books?  Or both? 

I suppose I have one over all favorite character, but I have many favorites on many given days.  Plus, I do want to know the whole story, the full picture.  So no, not even the death of my first fav, in any medium, would make me stop reading, or wanting to read. 

40 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

Yeah, but that's not what she said.  Also, nobody is under any obligation to be "really a fan", especially under someone else's definition.

Who is putting this much effort into reading a book, only to stop reading when your favourite character dies? 

I only have favorite arcs, but if I did have a favorite character overall, that character dying wouldn't in itself stop me from reading.

Writing quality/the author clearly not caring anymore is the only thing which makes me stop a series. I happens entirely too often. I've really enjoyed the TWOW chapters, so it looks like that awkward AFFC/ADWD phase has passed. 

6 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

________ your favorite character dies?  

My answer is NO.  What is your answer>

YES.  I can't imagine being so fond of any one character that it would ruin the overall experience of reading this awesome story if they were to die. 

I'd be curious to know which characters any people voting NO think are too important to lose?

Edit:  I noticed after I posted that you are likely referring to Daenerys.

Archived