POLL: Will you continue to read the books if _________

Aline de Gavrillac

Was a ned fan.

Then loved renly

Now gained an attachment to stannis, but i dont see any way he makes it much longer.

I dont mind losing a character as long as it makes sense in pushing the story.  In ned's case, obviously.  Renly was pretty much unstoppable at that point and he could have sacked kings landing, we would get 5 books describing his jolly and uneventful reign.

I dont think its an exciting conclusion of the series when stannis sits the throne and rules with a stiff and unwavering hand of justice, with the final paragraph of dream of spring describing him shutting down brothels. And stannis will either get there, or die.  His entire 'iron' narrative points that way... unless, maybe he sees dany as the rightful heir, and being a stickler for the rules, bends the knee?  

Well I am more of a fan of Stannis, Davos, Brienne, and Arianne.

If they die would I stop reading? No, I have no grand idea that my favorite characters are some sort of savior that will end up uniting the kingdoms. I just enjoy their point of view and story, but the best aspect of the story is personal struggle and political intrigue.

The only thing stopping me reading the books is finding out that the stupid show is accurately detailing how the story is going to go. If so, not much point. I am hoping on the other hand that the show is going down a different arc & not realistic to what is going to happen in the books.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 6:56 AM, zorkman said:

The only thing stopping me reading the books is finding out that the stupid show is accurately detailing how the story is going to go. If so, not much point. I am hoping on the other hand that the show is going down a different arc & not realistic to what is going to happen in the books.

You don't have to worry about that.  I do not believe they will have the same conclusion.  The novels will have a different conclusion.  Thank god.  I meant Thank George. 

On 3/28/2019 at 12:37 PM, LynnS said:

I'll continue to read them IF they are published soon

I want to read them if they are published .... ever.

So, George, please, please, please, let us know who wrote the Pink Letter.

:bowdown:

The story is too rich for me to stop reading. I want to know everything about Harrenhal and WTF happened prior to Robert's Rebellion, and I want to know if some characters I'm attached to will live or die. My favorite character is currently lying stabbed in the snow and possibly bleeding to death, but I still wanna know how the stories of Blackfish and Daven Lannister and Thoros of Myr, to name a few, will end.

Depends on the death, actually.

If I feel that a truly valuable character got killed off cheaply, I might give up. (It's really hard to get me to give up on a series, but Malazan managed it.) I don't expect cheap deaths for major characters from GRRM, but I'm not confident he can finish the series well. If he had a good grip on his story, he would have finished by now.

1 hour ago, Ibbison from Ibben said:

Depends on the death, actually.

If I feel that a truly valuable character got killed off cheaply, I might give up. (It's really hard to get me to give up on a series, but Malazan managed it.) I don't expect cheap deaths for major characters from GRRM, but I'm not confident he can finish the series well. If he had a good grip on his story, he would have finished by now.

Do you think something personal is keeping him from finishing?  

I will read martin's next ASOIAF book if dementia doesn't make me forget.

Relax. Don't get your political correctness panties/boxers/unisex thong in a bunch.

Back in the days when readers were unsure of Jon's DwD  cliffhanger there was a little concern about Ghost and his well being.

I was one of the ones who huffed and puffed and said if martin kills off Ghost I would throw WoW out the door. Leave it there for a while. Then go get the book and continue reading.

Sweet summer child I was. 

Archived