How often have you cracked your phone?

Varysblackfyre321

I have the previous iPhone (the 8s?). It bent and cracked, possibly from me falling asleep and rolling on it one night while listening to a book. Got a replacement under extended warranty and now I see the glass protective cover has a crack in it. I don’t know if it came from dropping the phone or if somehow the phone has been bent once again.

I have been very careful this time around, and it has a tough protective shell on it. I can’t see a bend just looking at it. This model had a real problem with bending when it first came out but later versions were supposed to have fixed the problem.

Probably twice.  I love the sleek look of an iPhone without the stupid, clunky suit of armor everyone puts on there.  Completely ruins the aesthetic of the object.  But, so does a cracked screen, and ever since I started using an otterbox a couple of phones ago I have not cracked the screen again and I drop my phone all the time.

5 hours ago, S John said:

Probably twice.  I love the sleek look of an iPhone without the stupid, clunky suit of armor everyone puts on there.  Completely ruins the aesthetic of the object.  But, so does a cracked screen, and ever since I started using an otterbox a couple of phones ago I have not cracked the screen again and I drop my phone all the time.

Would have pegged you as the inventer of the otterbox..

in my experience (and i've never owned one) i phone screens must be made out of the most fragile material known to man.  everyone i know with an i phone has a cracked screen.  Another reason, along with not wanting to look like a souless dickhead, not to own one.

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

in my experience (and i've never owned one) i phone screens must be made out of the most fragile material known to man.  everyone i know with an i phone has a cracked screen.  Another reason, along with not wanting to look like a souless dickhead, not to own one.

You’ve never owned a phone?!

I've shattered the everliving crap out of multiple phones, but all those were by my own hand, and all but one were after whatever phone was no longer working. Then again, I find it extremely cathartic to break (expensive) electronics - keyboards being the best feeling ever.

I don't understand how many hundreds of people I've met with accidentally cracked phones. I've dropped phones so many times and never cracked one. My phones have cases on them? I just don't get it. Are people throwing them at walls? Again, I've done that, so I'd understand more.

Just a stray thought, but I wonder if age has anything to do with the tendency to crack a screen or not? I'm not talking stereotypes about young kids not valuing things or older people just being more careful in general.

When I got my first smartphone, it was a god-damned miracle. I was well into adulthood and grew up with my Atari (actually an Intellivision console, but no one knows what that is :p) Still young enough to take to technology, but old enough to treat it with reverence because it's a fucking hand-held computer! I mean, I'm over that now and I don't particularly treat them with great care, but I do have a residual sense of them being valuable and fragile and am mostly always aware of it and where it is. 

On 3/26/2019 at 12:16 PM, S John said:

On 3/26/2019 at 12:31 PM, Gertrude said:

Never. I like the sleek profile of a phone without a cover too, but I'd rather have a functioning one.

The otterbox is strong. I'm a hapless drunk, but I've never broken a phone screen.

Archived