How often have you cracked your phone?

Varysblackfyre321

2 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Just a stray thought, but I wonder if age has anything to do with the tendency to crack a screen or not? I'm not talking stereotypes about young kids not valuing things or older people just being more careful in general.

When I got my first smartphone, it was a god-damned miracle. I was well into adulthood and grew up with my Atari (actually an Intellivision console, but no one knows what that is :p) Still young enough to take to technology, but old enough to treat it with reverence because it's a fucking hand-held computer! I mean, I'm over that now and I don't particularly treat them with great care, but I do have a residual sense of them being valuable and fragile and am mostly always aware of it and where it is. 

I know what an intellivision is!

only once.  galaxy s6 maybe. the wife kairparavel and I had been out most the late afternoon and night drinking.  we got out of a cab when I dropped my phone. mentioned later my screen was cracked.  I assured her it was not and those were just webs from the spiders inside. 

Never, and that includes one time when I accidentally chucked my phone into a wall like I was pitching a baseball,

I have, OTOH, dropped one in a lake, and it was one of the saddest days of my life. SO many incredible and valuable contacts were lost, including several elected officials, organizers and a hip hop star, Sigh...

I imagine I'm jinxing myself, but I've never broken a screen. I use a case, but one of the small rubber bumper cases. I don't drop my phone a lot, but it happens. As far as I can see, if it landed on something raised like a rock, the case wouldn't protect it, but as long as it lands on a more or less flat surface (and isn't falling, like a story at a time) I don't see how it could break.

I don't usually carry my phone in my back pocket, but I have. I guess that could break it.

Never.  I've broken or destroyed dozens of flip phones by exposure to sweat, water, dust, etc.  I've had three different smartphones (switched from flip in 2013), got either OtterBox or LifeProof cases and never had any screen issues.  Dread to think how long they'd have lasted without the cases--I use them pretty hard.  I am much better about keeping my phone in a safe location when working instead of on my person though, so I suppose that helps some.

On my first two the power ports got fucked up, the new one has a micro USB-c port and it's way fucking better, symmetrical design and seems beefier.

I remember that the last generation of flip phone I had was really good and durable too, or at least more durable than the older ones.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:20 AM, Gertrude said:

Just a stray thought, but I wonder if age has anything to do with the tendency to crack a screen or not? I'm not talking stereotypes about young kids not valuing things or older people just being more careful in general.

When I got my first smartphone, it was a god-damned miracle. I was well into adulthood and grew up with my Atari (actually an Intellivision console, but no one knows what that is :p) Still young enough to take to technology, but old enough to treat it with reverence because it's a fucking hand-held computer! I mean, I'm over that now and I don't particularly treat them with great care, but I do have a residual sense of them being valuable and fragile and am mostly always aware of it and where it is. 

Well, try having pants with holes in the pockets and you will drop a phone too, or your pants will drop it anyway.

BTW, my worst phone injury was not the cracks. It was dropping it in a rain puddle (Yes, Seattle here) and forgetting it was there for half an hour. Damn thing still runs though. Web surfing is no different, but there is a big lag with loading my Gmails.

for smart phones, i've had my screen cracked twice, both times by my wife in her drunken state knocking it out of my hand.

One time I dropped my brand new Note 4 when it first came out 4 feet from my shirt pocket while i was bent over onto the floor, the screen didn't crack, but the lcd broke :(. that one hurt 

On 3/27/2019 at 6:20 PM, Gertrude said:

Same here. When I was a kid all electronics was fragile and expensive. Wouldn't claim that it can't happen, but so far I haven't cracked any of my phones. Bought a case for my present one, though (iPhone 7). Always carry it in the front pocket, and it's the only thing in that particular pocket. Wouldn't think of putting it in the back pocket. 

No shell, no protection of any sort, a lot of cracks on the screen and scratches on the back, but it still works.

Sometimes I miss my old Nokia 100 (that could be dropped in water, in lava... and the battery lasted several days) and its Snake game, but right after I put on the music on my bruised smartphone and I stop regretting.

Never.

It would really piss me off to have a damaged phone that is visible to me at all times.

I've always invested in a good screen protector - when the protector is removed there isn't a single mark of any kind on the screen - and an Otterbox case. I prioritise having a undamaged phone over 'enjoying the sleek look'. lol

But the last iphone I had (6) went down the toilet and a case couldn't save it (it was only about a month old). I converted to Samsung Galaxy at that point.

I've never used a screen protector, but I've always used cases that can cover the screen. My phone will end up in a pocket with my keys at some points.

15 hours ago, Seli said:

I've never used a screen protector, but I've always used cases that can cover the screen. My phone will end up in a pocket with my keys at some points.

Oh, good to meet a fellow giraffe.

The thing about flip phones, is it is very easy to lose those fuckers. And I'm very good at losing phones. I have yet to lose my smart phone, however, perhaps due to the size, but have temporarily misplaced it. I lost about 4 flip phones. On the other hand, if a flip phone is good enough for Heisenberg, it should be good enough for anyone.

Never. Didn't water damage any phone either. I must say though that I'm not a fan of the trend towards thin, glass-backed phones. Sure they look pretty but invariably you really need to slap a case on it to protect your expensive yet brittle phone. Miss my old Lumia 1520 that had a highly durable polycarbonate shell which was 'grippy' too and felt nothing like the cheap plastics that many phones were coming out with at the time.

Archived