UK Politics: What Goes DUP Must Come Down

Spockydog

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe if they thought they had been named after said KKK rather than by coincidence  they would have thought it was relevant 

Are you actually suggesting they didn't know? That they just randomly pulled the phrase out of Boris Johnson's arse? 

26 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe if they thought they had been named after said KKK rather than by coincidence  they would have thought it was relevant 

Coincidence?

Really?

Even if true (hint, it isn't), it's never been an excuse before, so why should it be now?

42 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Are you actually suggesting they didn't know? That they just randomly pulled the phrase out of Boris Johnson's arse? 

Yes. Do you have any proof it wasn’t a coincidence?

it might be surprising to some but the inner workings of the KKK are not all that well known outside of the US. Go to southern Spain and you will see whole festivals of people dressed up in so called Klan outfits who have almost no awareness of the connection.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Bercow has ruled she cannot have a third vote. Epic stuff ahead. 

If she had enough votes to pass her deal she'd presumably have enough votes to change the rules so they could have another vote so I'm not sure it's that significant really.

27 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

it might be surprising to some but the inner workings of the KKK are not all that well known outside of the US. Go to southern Spain and you will see whole festivals of people dressed up in so called Klan outfits who have almost no awareness of the connection.

Quite a few people at Semana Santa do know that it can mean a different thing in a different context, but anyway.

"Grand Wizard" is a strange title for someone to have. Unlike Klan outfits that had a religious origin, this seems kind of specific to them, and it's something far more unlikely for two political groups to independently come up with. But it's possible the ERG is just being as obtuse as possible.

40 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Bullshit.

14 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Quite a few people at Semana Santa do know that it can mean a different thing in a different context, but anyway.

"Grand Wizard" is a strange title for someone to have. Unlike Klan outfits that had a religious origin, this seems kind of specific to them, and it's something far more unlikely for two political groups to independently come up with. But it's possible the ERG is just being as obtuse as possible.

I’ve been to southern Spain many times and believe me many people I spoke to had very little idea why I found the outfits so shocking. 

The term ‘grand wizard’ is pretty obscure, I doubt many people are aware of it at all, especially in the Klan context. It does however absolutely fit into the sort of pompous boarding school educated types that think of these things.

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The term ‘grand wizard’ is pretty obscure, I doubt many people are aware of it at all, especially in the Klan context. It does however absolutely fit into the sort of pompous boarding school educated types that think of these things.

Unless Rees-Mogg secretly enjoys LARPing Harry Potter, there is no reason at all to use this title in a political context.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

When you say KKK, do you mean the Klu Klux Klan or the Krispe Kreme Kids? Without further evidence I cannot tell. Maybe you just randomly threw three letters together?

4 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

But this isn't some villages in southern Spain, and Grand Wizard isn't a traditional UK title for Brexiteers that outdates the KKK by probably centuries.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I'm definitely not an expert on the subject by any means, but is it a normal thing for British political parties to name their leadership groups after superlative D&D classes?

I mean, even as someone barely initiated into UK politics, I'd imagine I would have heard of the Tory party's Outstanding Paladins, or Labour's Amazing Rangers, Lib Dem's Tubular Clerics or the SNP's Bad-Ass Rogues by now if that were the case.

I can’t believe anyone who has seen JRM speak is surprised that he wouldn’t love thinking of himself and his group as some sort of bunch of Dumbledores in a crusty old wooden clad office. I am however not surprised that you jumped to the most conspiratorial conclusion that fits your preconceived notions of him as an arch villain / nazi.

You might all hate him, but he does have a sly sense of humour. 

Its at least better than referring to your self as the TIGers!

Please note that I have had some alcohol... 

So... I have tried to educate myself about Brexit and believe as a result that all the options as a result are pretty rubbish, in order of dissociation from the EU, with No Deal being spectacularly bad, to the extent that it would be like having another recession on top of the last one (quite apart from the implications for Peace in Ireland, general cooperation in science, trade, travel etc.).  However the whole thing is so really complicated that I don't believe any individual. unless they spent 5 years of research, would really understand the way the UK and EU and bound together and all the implications of leaving/remaining.

It has also become evident that the way Parliament works is really opaque and bizarre and people vote for or against or abstain on things not necessarily because of their personal beliefs about whether things are good or not for the people they represent, but for all sorts of tactical reasons (and also, do we elect MPs because we think they will make wise decisions for us, or because they're supposed to represent our own decisions).  So it's really difficult to follow what is happening and why.

For example why would Theresa May saying she won't lead continuing Brexit negotiations mean that some other Tories now vote for her deal, which they said was terrible before?  Well, it looks like it's because they want a change of leadership (e.g. to become leader themselves). 

My country is broken. 

Archived