UK Politics: What Goes DUP Must Come Down

Spockydog

Just now, Heartofice said:

Me?  No, he is hoping someone other than May will be in charge and will do a better job

I see.  My Who???? was referring to who would take over from May.  Do we have anyone capable waiting in the wings?

Just now, Mosi Mynn said:

I see.  My Who???? was referring to who would take over from May.  Do we have anyone capable waiting in the wings?

Oh I see what you’re saying now. Well I don’t know, I think the damage is kind already done now anyway, we’ve been thrown under the bus and put in a stupidly weak position.

Just now, Heartofice said:

Oh I see what you’re saying now. Well I don’t know, I think the damage is kind already done now anyway, we’ve been thrown under the bus and put in a stupidly weak position.

Yep.

It would take an extraordinary politician to either negotiate Brexit successfully (whatever that means) or get us out of this with any dignity and respect.

30 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Oh I see what you’re saying now. Well I don’t know, I think the damage is kind already done now anyway, we’ve been thrown ourselves under the bus and put ourselves in a stupidly weak position.

Fixed that for you :P

I need someone to re-assure me and tell me everything is going to be ok.  You can lie.

My local Twat MP John Baron was one of the people who tried to become PM after Cameron.  I feel that recently he has been making his name a bit more well known with being the ERG person putting forward amendments and motions.  I feel this puts him in the dangerous position of not being one of the front runners everyone hates, with just enough name recognition to ring some bells and not be a total unknown.  I fear he had a realistic shot at being PM. He's also hardcore brexit and winning lots of brownie points from the No deal nutters  (hopefully this will work against him).

Please tell me this is not a realistic possibility.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well quite. Though not many people would want to think Theresa May was in the same club as them.

She may not be in the same club as whomever, but she's the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, elected through True Democracy (Trade Mark pending).

9 minutes ago, Pebble said:

I need someone to re-assure me and tell me everything is going to be ok.  You can lie.

My local Twat MP John Baron was one of the people who tried to become PM after Cameron.  I feel that recently he has been making his name a bit more well known with being the ERG person putting forward amendments and motions.  I feel this puts him in the dangerous position of not being one of the front runners everyone hates, with just enough name recognition to ring some bells and not be a total unknown.  I fear he had a realistic shot at being PM. He's also hardcore brexit and winning lots of brownie points from the No deal nutters  (hopefully this will work against him).

Please tell me this is not a realistic possibility.

I can offer hugs :grouphug: and beer :cheers:

Make the most of the refreshing lager while you can - post-Brexit we'll only have real ale and cider :ack:

4 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I can offer hugs :grouphug: and beer :cheers:

Make the most of the refreshing lager while you can - post-Brexit we'll only have real ale and cider :ack:

I'll  take the hugs,  but you can keep the beer, I can't stand the stuff (any version).  I do take great comfort in the fact that one of my favourite wines is grown just a few miles from my house.

1 minute ago, Pebble said:

I'll  take the hugs,  but you can keep the beer, I can't stand the stuff (any version).  I do take great comfort in the fact that one of my favourite wines is grown just a few miles from my house.

Wine it is!  :cheers:

Is it just me, or are we actually getting some clarity on what is going to happen?  The clock has run out on making any new agreement with the EU on such a short timeframe.  May's deal doesn't have the votes to pass.  Which means the two week extension goes into effect. 

During that time, MPs will either have to:

1.  Revoke Article 50

2.  Ask for a longer extension and agree to participate in the EU elections

3.  If neither of those things are done => No Deal

Option 1 seems very unlikely, given how there's a strong contingent that prefer No Deal to No Brexit, and revoking Article 50 and thus defying the 2016 referendum would require actual leadership, something that May and Corbyn have been utterly incapable of.

Option 2 appears a little more possible on it's face, but almost impossible in the details.  The No Dealers hate this idea.  The Pro-Remainers aren't wild about an extension just to hammer out a different Brexit, and the EU is not going to be enthusiastic either.  Lots of moving parts, and virtually no time to make this happen.  Not to mention the total leadership vacuum.

Which leaves No Deal.  Sorry guys. 

Did I leave anything out?  Am I way off? 

14 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I'm very much an Anglo-Scottish European. Born in Glasgow, I have lived in London for forty years. I love England. But when the wars of independence come, I'll be up there with ma people, fighting the old Highland way, bare-chested with a woad-coated baby in each arm.

Would one baby be wielding a lochabar and the other a claymore? Because that's how I imagine a true Scotsman fights.

2 minutes ago, Pebble said:

286  v 344   No May deal

Pardons for me being THAT ugly American right now, but are UK politics always this exciting? 

It seems Congress spends more time avoiding votes than casting them, so all this voting seems pretty awesome (if I happen to ignore the fact that the votes are about crashing out of the EU, that is).

Archived