UK Politics: What Goes DUP Must Come Down

Spockydog

9 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Good.   I hope that means we have finally put those to bed.  

PS  John Barron is a twat.

I just came here specifically to say that. Billericay has the worst possible record for MPs. Jesus H Christ. Essex as a whole is fairly bad but, omg, he is absolutely unbearable.

1 minute ago, Isis said:

I just came here specifically to say that. Billericay has the worst possible record for MPs. Jesus H Christ. Essex as a whole is fairly bad but, omg, he is absolutely unbearable.

yep.  and that is where I live.   Its also a nicely safe seat.

He is also starting to make a lot more TV appearances and getting his name out there a lot more than he was a year or 2 ago.  I'm telling you he's trying to replace May as PM.  I have nightmares he may be successful as he is not Borris, Mog, Gove ect.   

4 minutes ago, Pebble said:

yep.  and that is where I live.   Its also a nicely safe seat.

He is also starting to make a lot more TV appearances and getting his name out there a lot more than he was a year or 2 ago.  I'm telling you he's trying to replace May as PM.  I have nightmares he may be successful as he is not Borris, Mog, Gove ect.   

I didn't know you were there! I lived there from 1983-2011. And that was long enough lol. Nah. It wasn't that bad, back in the day. It just seems like there isn't all that much difference between Basildon and Billericay these days. They used to feel quite distinctly different.

Sounds like there's a streaker in the gallery.

They're trying to talk through it, but largely failing, with several references to things going tits up, or getting to the bottom of things, the naked truth etc

1 minute ago, Which Tyler said:

Sounds like there's a streaker in the gallery.

They're trying to talk through it, but largely failing, with several references to things going tits up, or getting to the bottom of things, the naked truth etc

Ooh. I'll keep my eye out. I'm about 20 minutes behind real time because I was watching something else and then wanted to go back and watch the John Baron bit.

Just now, Isis said:

Ooh. I'll keep my eye out. I'm about 20 minutes behind real time because I was watching something else and then wanted to go back and watch the John Baron bit.

It's when Peter Kyle stands up (after Ken Clarke) it will be impossible to miss.

2 minutes ago, Isis said:

I didn't know you were there! I lived there from 1983-2011. And that was long enough lol. Nah. It wasn't that bad, back in the day. It just seems like there isn't all that much difference between Basildon and Billericay these days. They used to feel quite distinctly different.

We have lived here for 4 or 5 years I think.  I used to live in Upminster which is also very Torry but a lot more moderate, and also a lot more pro EU. (or at least less Pro NO deal)

We are still a little bit posher, and our houses are more expensive.  I think we also have better schools, but as I don't have kids I don't really know.  but politically we are very similar to Basildon and Thurrock for that matter.   The Town centers (well High street V Eastgate)  still feel very different.  Basildon Towncenter is looking more and more ghost town and Billericay High street is actually a success and always very busy.

2 minutes ago, Pebble said:

We have lived here for 4 or 5 years I think.  I used to live in Upminster which is also very Torry but a lot more moderate, and also a lot more pro EU. (or at least less Pro NO deal)

We are still a little bit posher, and our houses are more expensive.  I think we also have better schools, but as I don't have kids I don't really know.  but politically we are very similar to Basildon and Thurrock for that matter.   The Town centers (well High street V Eastgate)  still feel very different.  Basildon Towncenter is looking more and more ghost town and Billericay High street is actually a success and always very busy.

Yes, you're right that the high street is still busy. Such a shame to lose things like the fishmongers which had been there since we moved in 1983.

But what I meant was: there seems to be less and less difference between the type of people in both towns.

19 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

You buggers left us, preferring to chase pretty French skirt and hot German sausage, than be loyal to your homely colonials. And of course talking to us about lamb, specifically, is particularly ironic, since the UK joining the EEC / EU is what helped to collapse our sheep industry and forced us to find alternative markets like the USA.

You?  Sorry to disappoint (not really), but I am not British, I represent one of those suckers that's let the UK join the party so it could play the fat kid at the table. And now I am delivering more or (rather) less witty snipes to this sorry affair.

10 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Can I be your Shadow Transport Minister? I know sod all about it, but I've taken a bus recently which surely makes me more qualified than Failing Greyling.

I have experience in ordering Pizzas online, can you just give me that multi-billion Pound contract to deal with logjams, I don't own a single ferry, never have and presumably never will, but what works for Grayling..

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Without feeling like I'm walking around defending JRM the whole time, he has come out and explicitly said he doesn't support the AFD in any way, and that he posted that video because it demonstrated that the German position on Brexit isn't so clear cut. 

And the AfD Nazis are pretty much the only party that is on the same page as Rees-Smug, should give you (and him) some pause. But then again, why bother.

5 hours ago, divica said:

What is the difference between staying and leaving with a costums union?  

Quite a few differences.

CU covers goods not services (the City won't be too pleased). @Mentat explained stuff about regulatory alignment, so I am not going to bother to repeat it.

Also, the UK basically vacates its seat at the gorwn up table where the decissions are made, and will effectively just take the decissions made by others. Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein are not too eager to have the fat kid sit at their table [EFTA] either.

6 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Sorry - me cocking up there; about the same as Canada/Turkey; and TBH, I@m not sure how close the EU/Japan relationship will be, I haven't really looked into it, and shouldn't have brought it up - my bad.

Canada is essentially a FTA, not close enough for manufacturers and their supply lines. Turkey is in a Custom's Union (presumably the best comparission at what May was aiming for), but the UK is aiming to move further away from the EU than Turkey.

Turkey is indeed not too happy at the current arrangements as they want full membership, and not move further away. Go and figure how satisfactory May's proposed CU is.

1 minute ago, Isis said:

Yes, you're right that the high street is still busy. Such a shame to lose things like the fishmongers which had been there since we moved in 1983.

But what I meant was: there seems to be less and less difference between the type of people in both towns.

yes.  the people are the same in both.  its scary,  I prefer Old Billericay type people.

10 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

DUP, SNP and Labour all confirm that they'll support motion D (Common Market 2).

Must stand a good chance of gaining a majority today, for May to completely ignored tomorrow

Funny thing is, Norway and Iceland have repeatedly said they don't like the UK joining their club.

And even if you convince them otherwise, it will take quite a bit for the legal framework to be there.

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Funny thing is, Norway and Iceland have repeatedly said they don't like the UK joining their club.

And even if you convince them otherwise, it will take quite a bit for the legal framework to be there.

Yup, but I genuinely don't know if that actually matter, or if so how much. My understanding now that they have identical deals with the EU, rather than being in "a club" together, negotiating as a group.

I just don't know, whilst I think it is what would likely have been proposed 2 years ago had any attempt at consensus/cooperation actually happened; I won't claim to know the ins and outs.

Archived