UK Politics: What Goes DUP Must Come Down

Spockydog

Hmmmm ...... looks like Corbyn can come out of this looking relatively more grown-up, the same WA deal on the table is passed after being dressed up to make it look optically less than May's deal, no-deal averted, on to 2 years of more of non-stop mayhem about the future relationship, gets nowhere, backstop activated, Tories disintegrate by then and Corbyn as PM?

UK service industry sets up NI shell operations to access full single-market membership after the backstop :-D

Just got in; surely I've got this wrong. Please tell me I've got this wrong.

So... She's asking the EU for an extension, but not giving them any reason to.
She's inviting Corbyn to talk about compromise, but A] not actually telling him this, and B] compromise JUST include her existing working agreement, and all of her red lines, and no new negotiating.

WTF?

She also said: "This is a decisive moment in the story of these islands and it requires national unity to deliver the national interest." I would say that that is something of a Damascene conversion, except that we all know that by "national unity" she means "doing what I say",

And of course the "short extension" is a trap. If she can get her deal agreed in the next couple of weeks the EU would probably accept it, but there is no time to negotiate any other deal.

"Labour has put forward our proposals to ensure there is a customs union with the EU, access to vital markets and protections of our standards of consumer, environmental and workers’ rights. And we’ll ensure that those are on the table. We’re also very clear that there has to be an absolute guarantee that the Good Friday Agreement is maintained for peace in Northern Ireland.

So far, the prime minister hasn’t shown much sign of compromise but I’m pleased that today she’s indicated she’ll accept the view of Parliament and is prepared to reach out and have that discussion. I have been meeting MPs from all parties over the past weeks. And there is some common ground; there are some areas it’s difficult to agree on. But, however people voted in the referendum of 2016, they didn’t vote for lower living standards or to lose their jobs. And there’s far more that unites people on both sides than divides them."

Above from Labour.

Could read political declaration = work towards CU, and essentially use existing WA since 1) that's all EU will give you and 2) only way to respect GFA.

Both Labour and May can claim they reached an agreement in the national interest, but Labour point to 'their' plan in the political decision and May points to 'her' WA deal. With bulk of Labour switching, MV4 goes through, but guess Tories split into new UKIP and a rump party. Will be an interesting next GE with the most toxic Tories finally out on their own.

Am I being a summer child?

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No, I think the SNP and Labour (who would'Ve thought) were the ones voting for alternatives, the adults in the room if you will. This time it was the TIGers (or Change UK or whatever they call themselves), Tories (duh), and LibDems who messed this up.

The SNP did vote for the Common Market 2.0 (including a Customs Union) but abstained on the Customs Union on its own option.

In other news, I just saw a quote from Boris in which he said:

"Boris Johnson has told the BBC that people want politicians in Westminster “not to focus on themselves, but to focus on the needs of the country”.

I can definitely think of one politician in particular who spends too much time focusing on himself.

Archived