HBO Announces Game of Thrones: The Last Watch Documentary

Westeros

HBO has just announced that on May 26th—the week after the airing of the final episode of Game of Thrones—a two hour documentary by filmmaker Jeanie Finaly covering the filming of the final season.

GoT8_KeyArt_New.jpg

You can read the press release below:

For a year, acclaimed British filmmaker Jeanie Finlay was embedded on the set of the hit HBO series “Game of Thrones,” chronicling the creation of the show’s most ambitious and complicated season.

Debuting SUNDAY, MAY 26 (9:00-11:00 p.m. ET/PT), one week after the series finale, GAME OF THRONES: THE LAST WATCH delves deep into the mud and blood to reveal the tears and triumphs involved in the challenge of bringing the fantasy world of Westeros to life in the very real studios, fields and car-parks of Northern Ireland.

read on >>>

View the full article

11 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Self-congratulating spin-machine trying to wash over all the broken promises they made to Martin?  And the cast?  

They're not one big happy family, we've been getting upsetting reports about friction between D&D and their staff.

If you don’t want to watch, you don’t have to. It’s not a spin machine, it’s a gift to the fans who are interested in seeing how one of their favorite shows was made.

What broken promises? They ran out of Martin’s material and had to go their own way. Some plot points will be spoiled, and I know that must be hard for Martin, but he has no one to blame but himself. It was his responsibility to finish his books before the show caught up, and he failed miserably. Fortunately, D&D rose to the challenge and created one of the most successful shows in history. 

I don’t know what you mean about broken promises to the cast, unless you’re saying they aren’t being paid. I haven’t seen any reports like that. I have seen articles that say filming season 8 was challenging, but that shows the dedication of the cast and crew. It wasn’t a knock against how D&D treat them. I haven’t heard any of the cast say anything negative about D&D. If you have, provide a link.

2 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

....they didn’t “run out of material”, they drastically ignored books four and five.

Is this just the mental narrative you’ve constructed to justify what happened?

No they didn’t. They adapted material from Feast and Dance into seasons 4,5, and 6. I don’t need to justify what happened. I honestly don’t care that the show passed the books and will finish the story. After Storm, the books took a serious nosedive in quality, whereas the show is still going strong.

So this turns into another argument that the show sucks and books are the greatest ever huh? My take on this stupid thing is, "kept going strong"...GOT is one of the most popular shows in the world, hard to argue with that. 

There is a LOT of fat in the books and some of it had to be trimmed or there would be 4 seasons just for the first book. Books 4-5 are full of wasted time and issues that caused them to bloat, Mereenese knot anyone?

12 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

You...kind of need to “justify” what happened in order to “defend” it.

Thats usually how this works...dialectic and so forth.

That’s a fair point. I just don’t see how this is a discussion. Martin sold the rights to his story, then failed to meet the deadline that he had given himself. He alone is responsible. And let’s be honest, even if D&D had adapted Feast and Dance down to the smallest detail (killing the show in the process) the show still would have outpaced the books eventually.

12 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

”Kept going strong”?

i...am honestly not sure, ser, if you’re posting some sort of sarcasm?

No, I am absolutely serious, and I’m not alone. The vast majority of viewers love what D&D are doing with the show. There’s a reason viewership continues to increase every year and the show continues to win awards. If you don’t like the show, that’s fine, but don’t act like we’re the weird ones.

Archived