Jon's bride if Daenerys dies

Xemi

Assume Daenerys dies and Jon is king in the end, who would make the most sense for him to marry? The political situation can and probably will change a lot during season 8, but looking at things like they are right now:

North: Sansa and Arya would be the two ladies with the most prestigious house available, since the other great houses are mostly wiped out. However, Jon is already a northerner, the Starks consider him family, so that marriage would not bring anything new to the table. Northerners of minor houses would have the same problem, plus they would be of less prestigious houses.

Conclusion: Possible but Unlikely.

Riverlands: No Tully females available, the minor houses status is unknown, if Edmure dies but Roslin births him a child, marrying her would allow Jon to rise the future lord/lady of the Riverlands, problem is she's a Frey and nobody likes Freys, it would probably piss off a lot of people. And the Starks have ties to the Riverlands anyway.

Conclusion: Even more unlikely than marrying a Northerner.

Iron Isles: A female of their great house is alive in Yara, but they want to be independent, nobody likes the Ironborn, marrying one would piss off the North, Westerlands and the Reach, poor region with not that many troops even at peak strength, etc. Not really a great option.

Conclusion: Very unlikely.

Vale: No female Arryns, house Royce seems to be the next more powerful but we haven't seen any daughters of Lord Royce, so it's disqualified by sheer lack of available marriage partners.

Conclusion: Negative.

Westerlands: Myrcella is dead, Cersei will die (and nobody in their right mind would let her live at this point, much less marry her anyway). No other named females that I can think of, so same as the Vale, they are disqualified by sheer lack of marriage prospects.

Conclusion: Negative.

Reach: Tyrells are caput, no Hightowers or Redwynes in the series so the house which seems more likely to end up ruling the Reach are the Tarlys, which have a female available in the form of Sam's sister. The Reach is the most populous region with the most fertile land, so they're pretty rich, also the most available number of troops when at peak strength. As new Lords Paramount, a royal marriage would help their legitimacy in the eyes of the vassals, while also giving Jon an alliance with a very powerful region. As a bonus, Sam and Jon are bros.

Conclusion: Best choice available.

Stormlands: If Shireen was alive, it would have solved a lot of problems, but she isn't. Can't think of any other named females except Brienne, and she's from a minor house, unlikely that her house could end up as Lord Paramounts since that's probably what Gendry is alive for, so it would not be better than marrying the Reach rulers.

Conclusion: Very unlikely.

Dorne: Martells are dead, Sand Snakes are dead. Ellaria Sand, assuming she survives, is the current ruler of Dorne, but she's a bastard and a kinslayer, and Dorne isn't that big or prosperous either. She's also quite a bit older than Jon so less time to birth heirs. Probably not a good idea.

Conclusion: Unlikely.

What do you think?

On 3/28/2019 at 4:22 PM, Xemi said:

What do you think?

OP, clear demonstration. That is why, even if I don't much like it, it would be Sansa.
You forget to consider the Free Folk. But they have no candidate in the show. Contrary to Val in the books, my greatest hope for Jon.

In S01, when she was still the little bitch, Sansa insisted Jon was not her brother. So it is less "weird" for her to marry him than it would be for Arya, who considered Jon as her preferred brother.

Jon has one or 2 other Nothern choice. Alys Karstak and Lyanna Mormont. But yes, Sansa is more likely.

However I don't think Jon will need to marry someone to get the support of her region. His status of PTWP will suffice to quell any contest.

If Dany dies winning the fight against the dead, why not Cersi? End the war and no one else needs die. Jon would be taking one for the team sure, but a small price to pay for no more poor farmers getting slaughtered for nobles wars?

This a great analysis and a great post, but it assumes that balance of power will be similar after the NK and the final battle - I just dont think it will be. If all the castles are destroyed, more royal families devastated, millions more dead - then Jon has a chance to start a new power struture. I think he puts Starks and those close to him in charge of each of the seven houses and maybe does not take power for himself - he separates the seven kingdoms back into seven kingdoms. I that fits his sense of fairness, and his wont not to be king - but it leaves his allies in charge for the next generation or three.

It also means he can marry who he wants - I think it is one of his sisters but that is the topic of another thread or three.

1 hour ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

If all the castles are destroyed, more royal families devastated, millions more dead -

That is if (as me) you believe in Old Nan.

Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods...

Thousands and thousands of years ago, a winter fell that was cold and hard and endless beyond all memory of man. There came a night that lasted a generation, and kings shivered and died in their castles even as the swineherds in their hovels. Women smothered their children rather than see them starve, and cried, and felt their tears freeze on their cheeks...

They were cold things, dead things, that hated iron and fire and the touch of the sun, and every creature with hot blood in its veins. They swept over holdfasts and cities and kingdoms, felled heroes and armies by the score, riding their pale dead horses and leading hosts of the slain. All the swords of men could not stay their advance, and even maidens and suckling babes found no pity in them.

But we still have to see winter south of WF.

1 hour ago, BalerionTheCat said:

1 hour ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Any thoughts on whether the winter stops if, and when, the NK dies? Namely, does the killing of the NK stop the coming winter? If it does, the Old Nan story might not be relevant as I do believe Jon will kill the NK. BUT I still think the battle damage south of the wall will drive a new society, with Starks in charge (in the cartoon show on HBO).

I think this will happen in the show, but have not studied the books on this point. Thoughts?

I think Daenerys will die in either episode 5 or episode 6.  So i don`t think Jon will marry her, Also i can`t see them going on as a couple when they are told that they are aunt and nephew. Which i think should happen in the first episode. So even if Daenerys does not die in the show i don`t think a marriage between Jon and Daenerys will happen.

My guess is that he will not get married at all. 

On 3/30/2019 at 7:59 PM, Bradam said:

If Dany dies winning the fight against the dead, why not Cersi? End the war and no one else needs die. Jon would be taking one for the team sure, but a small price to pay for no more poor farmers getting slaughtered for nobles wars?

Well that would just be a terrible way to end it. 

1 hour ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Any thoughts on whether the winter stops if, and when, the NK dies? Namely, does the killing of the NK stop the coming winter? If it does, the Old Nan story might not be relevant as I do believe Jon will kill the NK. BUT I still think the battle damage south of the wall will drive a new society, with Starks in charge (in the cartoon show on HBO).

I think this will happen in the show, but have not studied the books on this point. Thoughts?

I believe the main message of GRRM is war is not the solution for everything. If it was, all the Cersei, Ramsay, and even Daenerys were right. If Old Nan is story is true, the Others can't be defeated. If the Yi Ti legends are also true, the Others are sent by the gods to punish the wicked. IMO, the NK created by the CotF, as a weapon against men, make no sense.

Mankind only hope of survival is to find what the Others want and comply. I suppose choosing peace would be a start. It would explain why the last major battle would be in EP03. With still 3 episodes after for getting rid of Cersei and her likes.

46 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I believe the main message of GRRM is war is not the solution for everything. If it was, all the Cersei, Ramsay, and even Daenerys were right. If Old Nan is story is true, the Others can't be defeated. If the Yi Ti legends are also true, the Others are sent by the gods to punish the wicked. IMO, the NK created by the CotF, as a weapon against men, make no sense.

Mankind only hope of survival is to find what the Others want and comply. I suppose choosing peace would be a start. It would explain why the last major battle would be in EP03. With still 3 episodes after for getting rid of Cersei and her likes.

So the others sole reason for existence is to punish the wicked, ergo if they all just stopped fighting, the NK would head back North? The Nk just wants a little dam peice and quiet, is that it? 

53 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

So the others sole reason for existence is to punish the wicked, ergo if they all just stopped fighting, the NK would head back North? The Nk just wants a little dam peice and quiet, is that it? 

That would be the worst ending one can imagine. It would be as if a child would tell a story in Kindergarten: "and then when they stopped fighting, the evil man disapeared" :D.

Dany isn't even going to be his bride even if she lives. Accidental incest always has consequences in stories.

If there is a kid (dont think it's gonna happen but if), Jon has learned to appreciate being a bastard, he's dealt with it better than most. I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to make his child a bastard. It's a more grounded upbringing than being a spoiled Targaryen prince. 

8 hours ago, Error-504 said:

"maidens and suckling babes found no pity in them"

No, that is not so simple. Stop fighting now do not erase the wrongs done before. Do not guarantee it will not start again when the Other will be gone for another 10,000 years. There is no sequel of ASoIaF, because there is nothing of HBO liking to tell after the LN.

6 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

"maidens and suckling babes found no pity in them"

No, that is not so simple. Stop fighting now do not erase the wrongs done before. Do not guarantee it will not start again when the Other will be gone for another 10,000 years. There is no sequel of ASoIaF, because there is nothing of HBO liking to tell after the LN.

It was a tongue in cheek comment..........

Archived