Poll: Has Myrcella Already Died Off-Page?

Platypus Rex

This is a poll.  Please answer "Yes" or "No" to the following question:

Has Myrcella Baratheon Died Off-Page, at A Point Prior to Areo Hotah's Last Chapter in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS?

For Context:  Because of the golden crowns/golden shrouds prophesy, most fans expect Tommen and Myrcella to die.  However, a certain theory suggests that Myrcella, is already dead.  It is suggested that Darkstar, the "most dangerous man in Dorne" applied poison to his blade prior to attacking her.  Darkstar was seen apparently sharpening his blade with an oilstone, and perhaps this was when the poison was applied.  Darkstar fled without finishing the job because, as far as he was concerned, he had finished the job.  A crown was made for Myrcella in the context of Arianne's "Queenmaker" plot, so the gold shall be their crowns part of the prophesy has come true.  Doran lied about this to Arianne because Myrcella's death means immediate war, and Doran's preparations for war are not quite ready … yet.  Arianne has tried to start the very war that Doran is trying to delay, so she obviously cannot be allowed to know the secret of Myrcella's death, lest she precipitate war too early by betraying the secret.  Meanwhile, Doran means to fool Ser Balon Swann using Myrcella's decoy, Rosamund Lannister, at the water gardens.   This deception is only meant to provide enough delay to allow Doran to finish his preparations for surprise attack.  For, as he says to the Sand Snakes, "War is already upon us".

In counterargument, it has been suggested that Ser Balon Swann could not possibly be fooled by Rosamund Lannister.  Moreoever, even if Ser Balon could be fooled, Doran cannot expect the deception to last long, as certainly Doran cannot expect Cersei herself to be fooled.   Also, Myrcella, as far as we know, never actually received the crown that was made for her in the Queenmaker Plot.  It is also argued that Doran no longer has any motive to lie to Arianne.

Various threads on this forum have previously discussed this issue, including ones entitled "Does Anyone Else Think Myrcella is Already Dead?" and "How Do Tommen and Myrcella Die?" and "How Will Myrcella Die?" and others.

Please feel free to give reasons for your answers or otherwise elaborate.  However, please do not argue with the reasons given by other voters until at least the third page of this thread.  After that, have at it.

Thanks in advance for all votes.

-------------------------------------------X

4 in favor to 17 against, so far.

• For:  Ser Dips A Lot, Allardyce, Crona, Haus Berlin.
  • Against:  Euron III Greyjoy, White Ravens, Vaith, NonoNono, Lollygag, Back door hodor, Amris, bent branch, Legitimate_Bastard, Alexis-something-Rose, Missing Benjen, BalerionTheCat. Daemon The Black Dragon, Jabar of House Titan, The Eunuchorn, Sigella, feather-crystal.

But remember, boys and girls, just because it is unpopular, does not mean it is not true!

-----------------------------------X

Previous "Unpopular Theory" Polls (in order of popularity).  Voting is still open in the original thread.

• "Did Jojen Die Off-Page in DANCE?"*:  17 for to 31 against (35.4%).  Supported by  Gertrude, chrisdaw, WyldFyre, Penny's Got a Gun, Megavora, Back door hodor, Lost Melnibonean, Tucu, acwill07, Ibbison from Ibben, Son of Man, Remiem, OtherFromAnotherMother, Lynesse, Jo Maltese, Paltogue, Shara.  Opposed by:  HelenaExMachina, kissdbyfire, many others.
  • "Is Lemore Actually Ashara?":  13 for to 27 against (32.5%).  Supported by:  chrisdaw, Nevets, Annalee, Amris, bent branch, Igziabeher, the conquering bastard 25, Hugorfonics, Great Oshiro, The Lord of the Crossing, Aline de Gavrillac, Springwatch, Ialt.  Opposed by:  kissdbyfire, Ygrain, many others.
  • "Is Sweetrobin the Son of Littlefinger?":  12 for to 23 against (34.3%).  Supported by:  Back door hodor, Lollygag, Haus Berlin, Legitimate_Bastard, LadyOlenna, Aurane, Lynesse, Aegon VII, Sigella, Lost Melnibonean, Prince Henryis, Megavora.
  • "Is the House with the Red Door in Dorne?"*:  9 in favor to 32 against (20.5%).  Supported by  TPTWP Timett, Sly Wren, Nezza86, Impbread, Sophia Wilson17, Sigella., Lollygag, Sweet Desire, Black Dragons.  Opposed by:  Ran, Ygrain, many others.
  • "Did Summer See a Dragon?"*:  8 for to 38 against (17.4%).  Supported by:  Legitimate_Bastard, rustythesmith, TPTWP Timett, Remirem, kleevedge, Gertrude, Wolfkin, sweetsunray.  Opposed by:  The hairy bear, kissdbyfire, Lost Melnibonean, many others.
  • "Is Jon Snow the Son of a Dayne?":  8 for to 40 against (16.6%).  Supported by:   Sly Wren, Enuma Elish, Vaedys Targaryen, JS97, SophiaWilson17, kleevedge, Luddagain, Maelerys.  Opposed by:  kissdbyfire, many others.
  • "Will Brienne Be A New Hound"*:  3 for to 14 against (17.6%).  Supported by:  Springwatch, the Other Wolf, Lollygag.
  • "Is Daario actually Euron?"*:  3 in favor to 43 against (6.6%).  Supported by: Adam Targaryen, Paltogue, BRANDON GREYSTARK.  Opposed by:  kissdbyfire, Lost Melnibonean, many others.
  • "Is Varys a Woman"*:  2 for to 32 against (5,9%).  Supported by:  Rufus Snow, Jabar of House Titan.  Opposed by:  The hairy bear, many others.
  • "Is Quentyn, called 'Frog', Still Alive?"*:  2 for to 46 against (4.2%).  Supported by: SophieWilson17, Tucu. Opposed by:  kissdbyfire, many others.

To save space, I have only listed the names of the brave souls who supported each prior Unpopular Theory, as well as one or two Forum V.I.P.s who opposed it.  No disrespect to the other Victorious Winners of the poll is intended.  The full tally of names of all voters can be found in the original threads.  While I do not county my own votes, those I support are marked with a "*".

I think she will be killed by the sand snakes when they hear of Quentin's end and are tired of Doran's awful plans. Doran would probably try to get Myrcella to marry Aegon and try to get Aegon under his tutelage or something, since he would be Elia's son. Arianne and co. will probably think he's an idiot and have her killed, and Arianne marries Aegon. Dorne is the most "egalitarian" kingdom, yet Doran would be constantly avoiding letting Arianne and her sisters handle things, even to the point where he might turn to Aegon who might not even be the real Aegon. He keeps acting like he's incredibly smart and calculating but he seems more dismissive of his children and it ultimately blows up in his face.

I don't think she'll die off-page. 

Maggy says stuff to screw with Cersei's head, so I'm hoping for some twist about gold shrouds not being about them all dying because that's less boring. Shrouds are often used to hide or obscure something. Joff's gold shroud wasn't a literal shroud - he was hidden in gold armor with the visor closed. One could make the case that alive Myrcella already has her gold shroud in Rosamund Lannister or perhaps the golden sun of House Martell. Maggy uses clever wording to lead Cersei to believe the all die perhaps not unlike how Catelyn/SH believes her children dead when some are not. Not holding my breath on that, though. 

AGOT Sansa II

The rasping voice trailed off. He squatted silently before her, a hulking black shape shrouded in the night, hidden from her eyes. 

AGOT Eddard VII

Ned turned to the woman beside the cart, shrouded in grey, face hidden but for her eyes. The silent sisters prepared men for the grave, and it was ill fortune to look on the face of death. 

AGOT Catelyn VI

Catelyn raised her eyes, up and up and up. At first all she saw was stone and trees, the looming mass of the great mountain shrouded in night, as black as a starless sky. 

ACOK Tyrion I

In the chilly white raiment of the Kingsguard, Ser Mandon Moore looked like a corpse in a shroud. "Her Grace left orders, the council in session is not to be disturbed." 

ASOS Jaime VII

Cersei turned to gaze at Joffrey's bier. They had dressed the dead king in gilded armor, eerily similar to Jaime's own. The visor of the helm was closed, but the candles reflected softly off the gold, so the boy shimmered bright and brave in death. 

I believe Darkstar has most likely succeeded in poisoning myrcella, and she is fated to a gruesome death, similar to her death in the show. As phony and annoyingly ridiculous of a character that Darkstar has been portrayed to be, I do believe he is competent enough to know what he’s doing when it comes to killing; what he did to myrcella went exactly as planned.  He’s kinda of a tool bag but GRRM wanted him to be a “cool villain” and with that said, I think he’s got a hyped up role to come. Killing Balon, who’s been built up as well, would gain him some merit and perhaps pump him up to be a legit adversary in a climactic duel with someone of more significance to the plot, such as Hotah or Jaime. Jaime I think is more likely the challenger in this duel to come. I don’t mean to hijack the thread with Darkstar theories but I kinda am because it does pertain to Myrcella’s death, which has a lot of significance. It launches Dorne into a state of being closer to war than it has been since Robert’s Rebellion, and it fuels a heated resentment/feud between Jaime and Darkstar.

So yes, I believe Myrcella is dead or soon to be dead, whether it’s on page or not, and that will lay the foundation for a Jaime Lannister revival. Jaime will duel Darkstar to avenge his daughter’s murder. Widow’s Wail vs Dawn. An epic duel to come. 

3 hours ago, Ser Dips A lot said:

It launches Dorne into a state of being closer to war than it has been since Robert’s Rebellion, and it fuels a heated resentment/feud between Jaime and Darkstar.

So yes, I believe Myrcella is dead or soon to be dead, whether it’s on page or not, and that will lay the foundation for a Jaime Lannister revival. Jaime will duel Darkstar to avenge his daughter’s murder. Widow’s Wail vs Dawn. An epic duel to come. 

Not sure how Jaime will duel Dorkstar. 

Jaime is in the Riverlands, about to ride into Stoneheart's trap. 

Can't see the logistics of him heading to Dorne so quick. (Think you're conflating the show with books, easily done)

I don't think Dorkstar has Dawn either, he's from a cadet branch of the Daynes. 

21 hours ago, White Ravens said:

Myrcella could be dead.  Darkstar may very well have poisoned his blade before attacking her.   But my gut tells me that she won't die off page.

So, no.  I think Myrcella is still alive. 

That's the closest thing to a "yes" I have ever gotten from you on these polls.  Someday … someday ...

18 hours ago, Ser Uncle P said:

Not sure how Jaime will duel Dorkstar. 

Jaime is in the Riverlands, about to ride into Stoneheart's trap. 

Can't see the logistics of him heading to Dorne so quick. (Think you're conflating the show with books, easily done)

I don't think Dorkstar has Dawn either, he's from a cadet branch of the Daynes. 

Well I’m not saying Jaime is gonna show up right now, I’m talking down the road a bit. Give it time for Dorne to call it’s bannners and Darkstar will get Dawn. A dayne is a dayne, they won’t discriminate a cadet branch member who’s just slain a kingsguard( Balon) and is heading into war. He might not get it ethically either it’ll probably be some sly deception or maybe he’ll steal it. And Jaime is gonna get out of that mess with stone heart. I highly doubt his end is that soon. I think GRRM still has some room left for Jaime to redeem himself and restore some honor, maybe even get some or all of his fighting prowess back.

Archived