Would the story have been just as good if Jaime was the NW Lord Commander in AGOT?

James Steller

People on this site (me included) seem to concur that in an ideal world, Jaime should have been either executed or sent to the Wall for his actions. Admittedly, that would have completely changed the story, not least of which because it means no more illegitimate kids (unless Cersei went up to visit Jaime at some point). But while that whole angle would be ruined, I do like the idea of the best swordsman in the world wearing the black cloak of the Nights Watch, brooding and growling at the Wall, ruminating on how he spends his life defending a realm that is ungrateful to him for killing the King who nearly burned down King’s Landing. Hell, imagine his talks with Benjen Stark or Aemon Targaryen! Sure, we wouldn’t have the Old Bear in charge, but Jon Snow could still learn from everyone, including Jaime.

Sending Jaime to the Wall is not going to work.  He doesn't have any honor.  He will escape somewhere between King's Landing and the Wall.  Men like Aliser Thorne have honor and went anyway even though he did nothing wrong.  Jaime is made out of different material.  As Lord Commander, he would be worse than Jon Snow.  Both men would ruin the Night's Watch and Jon actually did in Dance.

12 minutes ago, broken one said:

Had he been sent there he could have tried to do something stupid and ended up executed anyway :P

11 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Tywin is unlikely to sit idly by and let his son rot away at the Wall either. I imagine jaime would be more receptive to attempts to get him out of the NW than the KG

:agree:

Cersei's presence in King's Landing kept him there.  If Cersei had stayed in Casterly Rock, who knows.  Jaime stayed on to be with her.  H

I'd love to see what Jaime would be like, having made his way to the position of Lord Commander of the Nights Watch. How jaded he would be with how his life turned out, how much he'd despise anyone who actually volunteered to be in that frozen hellscape when he was chained and forced to go on the pain of death. How everyone despises him for his finest act.

And to those who say that Tywin would try and get him out, imagine if Jaime does get the chance leave, and he either does so, or he actually refuses in the hope that he might salvage a bit of honour left to him. Maybe he discovers the Others' existence and realizes that he's exactly where the real battle will take place, and he and Jon Snow both have to try and warn everyone of the real threat. 

That would be a hell of a story and a really cool take on Jaime's character. 

3 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Sending Jaime to the Wall is not going to work.  He doesn't have any honor.  He will escape somewhere between King's Landing and the Wall.  Men like Aliser Thorne have honor and went anyway even though he did nothing wrong.  Jaime is made out of different material.  As Lord Commander, he would be worse than Jon Snow.  Both men would ruin the Night's Watch and Jon actually did in Dance.

I disagree with this interpretation of Jaime at the time he would be sent. I think that this is possibly one of the other benefits of Tywin's move to murder the children. Robert was too focused on that, on Lyanna needing rescued, and on fighting with Ned to focus on this issue. I think there are two things that make Jaime the way he was in AGOT 1. Cersei's corrupting influence preventing him from any good character growth 2. There's some hard deep conversations he should have had with Barristan, Robert, and Ned. I think if Robert had sat down with Jaime and said something like Jaehaerys said to the deserters of Maegor's KG along the lines of "I thank you for what you did, but I have to know how can I trust you not to do the same thing to me?" 

I personally think that the biggest impact that Jaime going to the Wall would have isn't even with the bastards (even though that is a big issue) but with Tyrion. The boy was considering being a septon, until the incident with Tysha happened. If Jaime hadn't visited Casterly Rock and gone riding with Tyrion, Tyrion never would have fallen in love, married, and then eventually believed that he could never be loved by anyone save for his money. Tywin's strategy would have probably shifted to pushing Tyrion to being a septon and realizing that Cersei could never marry Robert, because then the Rock would be inherited by someone who is not a Lannister. 

Archived