Are similarities between Bael the Bard and Ashara/Robert's rebellion meaningful?

NonoNono

Some similarities I noticed which I'm sure have been brought up before. Of course we all know of the parallels with Rhaegar/Lyanna; we have a "bard" who "steals" a Stark, the blue winter rose motif, a bastard who becomes the new heir to Winterfell. But there is also how Bael fought (his son in this case) at the Frozen Ford and died there, like Rhaegar fights and dies at the soon-to-be Ruby Ford. The son brings the dead Bael's head to his mother, which leads to her jumping off a tower, similar to Ned bringing back Arthur's sword and Ashara leaping from a tower.

I just find it odd that Ashara's story, Robert's Rebellion/Rhaegar-Lyanna would kind of overlap? Is there anything to it? Just some old plot-line reworked into a tale for world building's sake? :blink:

Interesting. I wonder if it's just a leftover plot. You'd think it would point to Jon having to "remember" who he is, to avoid killing someone either he wouldn't want to kill, or avoid killing someone close to someone he loves without realizing it.

Since Jon was struggling with following the Wildlings or staying true to the Night Watch, maybe it was mostly relevant to him making that choice.

Feels almost like a left over from a previous draft, where Mance would have been Jon's father, and I guess Lyanna his mother.

10 hours ago, NonoNono said:

Some similarities I noticed which I'm sure have been brought up before. Of course we all know of the parallels with Rhaegar/Lyanna; we have a "bard" who "steals" a Stark, the blue winter rose motif, a bastard who becomes the new heir to Winterfell. But there is also how Bael fought (his son in this case) at the Frozen Ford and died there, like Rhaegar fights and dies at the soon-to-be Ruby Ford. The son brings the dead Bael's head to his mother, which leads to her jumping off a tower, similar to Ned bringing back Arthur's sword and Ashara leaping from a tower.

I just find it odd that Ashara's story, Robert's Rebellion/Rhaegar-Lyanna would kind of overlap? Is there anything to it? Just some old plot-line reworked into a tale for world building's sake? :blink:

Lyanna's bard was Mance Rayder. 

16 minutes ago, Great Oshiro said:

Lyanna's bard was Mance Rayder. 

That's the Rhaegar is Mance theory right?

I can't quite buy that, because it sounds like too big of a difference with the show. I know they do things differently, but that one would seem way far out.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:41 PM, NonoNono said:

That's the Rhaegar is Mance theory right?

I can't quite buy that, because it sounds like too big of a difference with the show. I know they do things differently, but that one would seem way far out.

Oh no.  Far from it.  It's the theory that the black brother at Harrenhal was none other than Mance Rayder.  Mance had an affair with Lyanna and Jon was the result.  Mance + Lyanna = Jon

3 hours ago, Great Oshiro said:

Oh no.  Far from it.  It's the theory that the black brother at Harrenhal was none other than Mance Rayder.  Mance had an affair with Lyanna and Jon was the result.  Mance + Lyanna = Jon

I feel Mance would have made a perfect candidate to be Jon's father, but feel that again it's one of those things that might just have resulted from rewrites as the story progressed. It would have felt very predictable though, too "I am your father!" like.

6 hours ago, Great Oshiro said:

Brandon and Lyanna as Jon's parents are better for drama.  

Archived