What if Theon came to Pyke naked?

Hrulj

One of the big issues Balon had with him was not paying the Iron price. Though he didnt have a chance to pay it. So what if in recognition of that he went to pyke naked and said he came as such due to not paying it. 

17 hours ago, Hrulj said:

One of the big issues Balon had with him was not paying the Iron price. Though he didnt have a chance to pay it. So what if in recognition of that he went to pyke naked and said he came as such due to not paying it. 

no need for that. paying with iron thingy applies only to men's jewelery AFAIR

On 3/31/2019 at 1:36 PM, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Hypothermia. That's what would happen. I wouldn't expect any admiration: pity from the kinder souls, disdain from everyone else.

No. I'd expect a mocking nickname like the Nameday prince, certainly. But at the same time it would endear him to the IB and his father if he thusly showed some affinity with their ways. 

Although I agree with @broken one that the Iron price mainly applies to jewellery, it's also plain that they aren't admirers of fancy dress either. If I don't misremember Balon did rip off some of Theon clothes that were to "showy" as well as the jewellery?

edit: Balon didn't rip any clothing off but did say: " "Did Ned Stark dress you like that?" his father interrupted, squinting up from beneath his robe. "Was it his pleasure to garb you in velvets and silks and make you his own sweet daughter?" "

On 3/30/2019 at 6:01 PM, Hrulj said:

Maybe if he somehow brought a Mallister head with him he would have had a better reception. The Ironborn are a fickle bunch.

On 4/1/2019 at 3:56 PM, Sigella said:

No. I'd expect a mocking nickname like the Nameday prince, certainly. But at the same time it would endear him to the IB and his father if he thusly showed some affinity with their ways. 

Although I agree with @broken one that the Iron price mainly applies to jewellery, it's also plain that they aren't admirers of fancy dress either. If I don't misremember Balon did rip off some of Theon clothes that were to "showy" as well as the jewellery?

edit: Balon didn't rip any clothing off but did say: " "Did Ned Stark dress you like that?" his father interrupted, squinting up from beneath his robe. "Was it his pleasure to garb you in velvets and silks and make you his own sweet daughter?" "

So hows this for a premise.

He takes the captains daughter with him as a salt wife and walks to Pyke attracting attention of Damphair. When offered to be blessed by water he refuses instead demanding to be drowned to cleanse himself of greenland filth. Once drowned he takes off his clothes as a new man and marches naked to Balon where he explains why he is naked and demands a ship and a crew to go back North to capture Bran and Rickon at Winterfell and bring them to his father and payback his captivity and humiliation upon them.

Bonus question. If he was successful and did capture Winterfell, burnt it to the ground and took Stark Boys to the Iron Isles what would his father think of transporting wildlings of Mance Rayder south of the wall to cause havoc in the North and make conquest of it easier? What repercussions would having two last male Starks in your hands have on Iron Islands following the Red Wedding

12 hours ago, Hrulj said:

So hows this for a premise.

He takes the captains daughter with him as a salt wife and walks to Pyke attracting attention of Damphair. When offered to be blessed by water he refuses instead demanding to be drowned to cleanse himself of greenland filth. Once drowned he takes off his clothes as a new man and marches naked to Balon where he explains why he is naked and demands a ship and a crew to go back North to capture Bran and Rickon at Winterfell and bring them to his father and payback his captivity and humiliation upon them.

Bonus question. If he was successful and did capture Winterfell, burnt it to the ground and took Stark Boys to the Iron Isles what would his father think of transporting wildlings of Mance Rayder south of the wall to cause havoc in the North and make conquest of it easier? What repercussions would having two last male Starks in your hands have on Iron Islands following the Red Wedding

I like it and in my mind it would have gotten Theon a far better destiny than the one GRRM wrote for him :D

edit: I don't think the IB would let a bunch of wildlings onto their ships or into the North. They'd risk losing ships and get even more foes to fight for some simple diversion? The Young Wolf already took most of the men down south so further diversion seems a poor reward for all the risks involved.

35 minutes ago, Sigella said:

I like it and in my mind it would have gotten Theon a far better destiny than the one GRRM wrote for him :D

edit: I don't think the IB would let a bunch of wildlings onto their ships or into the North. They'd risk losing ships and get even more foes to fight for some simple diversion? The Young Wolf already took most of the men down south so further diversion seems a poor reward for all the risks involved.

It would be a force large enough to cause widescale population movement solving the biggest Ironborn problem, inability to control the land. As long as the Wildlings scare the populace into moving South of Moat Cailin they'd be able to settle the land and control it easily. Also makes it easier to forge peace with North or whomever when there's a bigger threat out there. 

Would love it if there was a fanfic on this premise lol 

1 hour ago, Hrulj said:

It would be a force large enough to cause widescale population movement solving the biggest Ironborn problem, inability to control the land. As long as the Wildlings scare the populace into moving South of Moat Cailin they'd be able to settle the land and control it easily. Also makes it easier to forge peace with North or whomever when there's a bigger threat out there. 

Would love it if there was a fanfic on this premise lol 

Moving the Wildlings would deplete wight-supply for the Others and that messes with the bigger story, though. Also "control" and "wildling" don't go together: Jon and Tormund barely got them to stand in line to pass the Wall. And wildlings don't like kneeling which makes them tricky play pieces.

• 9 months later...
On 3/31/2019 at 5:10 PM, broken one said:

no need for that. paying with iron thingy applies only to men's jewelery AFAIR

Wait, Victarions refers to it in regards to food bought in Volantis:

"he paid the gold price for food and water, though it shamed him"

Iron Suitor, aDwD

Balon had his vision of Theon made before Theon even arrive.

Theon could land on Pyke carring Jaime's head, after commanding the North vanguard and killed the KG in person and Balon would still called him weak.

Even after taking Winterfell with a handfull of men in a single night, Balon still called Theon weak.

Balon is simply a idiot.

53 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Balon had his vision of Theon made before Theon even arrive.

Theon could land on Pyke carring Jaime's head, after commanding the North vanguard and killed the KG in person and Balon would still called him weak.

Even after taking Winterfell with a handfull of men in a single night, Balon still called Theon weak.

Balon is simply a idiot.

Idk, Balon is an asshole but I think if Theon would have arrived showing his "strength" & affinity for the IB he would have received a much better reception. Not that it is his fault for the way Balon treated him. 

20 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Idk, Balon is an asshole but I think if Theon would have arrived showing his "strength" & affinity for the IB he would have received a much better reception. Not that it is his fault for the way Balon treated him. 

The IB way would be showing up like Euron... killing Balon in the process, and then, maybe he could had sucess. lol

Balon didn't care about Theon, he was ready to attack the north while Theon was still a hostage, he then humiliates his son by giving him "sea bitch" and made everything on his power to make Theon look more weak and alone, like sending away all the familiar faces to the boy like Dagmer away on his arrival.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

he then humiliates his son by giving him "sea bitch”

Theon loves his first (and only) longship and he is the one who chooses its name while flirting with Esgred/Asha. What he loaths and humiliates him is the task that Balon gave him: attacking the Stony Shore.

55 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

The IB way would be showing up like Euron... killing Balon in the process, and then, maybe he could had sucess. lol

Balon didn't care about Theon, he was ready to attack the north while Theon was still a hostage, he then humiliates his son by giving him "sea bitch" and made everything on his power to make Theon look more weak and alone, like sending away all the familiar faces to the boy like Dagmer away on his arrival.

Oh yeah, I agree that showing up naked may not have gotten him the best reception. I just meant even though Balon doesn't give two shits about him, he may have started to care a little or at least took some notice if Theon had showed up behaving like an IB & not like a Stark. 

Archived