Wedding between Cersei and Robert

Arthur Fossoway

Evening fellows,

Whilst reading A Feast for Crows, I came upon a conversation between Cersei and Lady Merryweather that intrigued me.

Taena told Cersei she was no maiden when she wed her husband and Cersei thought of her as a whore.

I recall the stories about how Cersei and Jaime used to "fiddle around" when they were young, and how they got exposed by their mother and separated. But I was wondering if there'd been any hint (in the first three books) that she'd married Robert a maid? I don't really remember, and I don't want to check Wikipedia by fear of being spoiled.

So, if anyone has any idea, I'd be most grateful. Thanks :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 1:09 PM, Silhouette5 said:

Evening fellows,

Whilst reading A Feast for Crows, I came upon a conversation between Cersei and Lady Merryweather that intrigued me.

Taena told Cersei she was no maiden when she wed her husband and Cersei thought of her as a whore.

I recall the stories about how Cersei and Jaime used to "fiddle around" when they were young, and how they got exposed by their mother and separated. But I was wondering if there'd been any hint (in the first three books) that she'd married Robert a maid? I don't really remember, and I don't want to check Wikipedia by fear of being spoiled.

So, if anyone has any idea, I'd be most grateful. Thanks :D

I don’t believe she was a maid.

Cersei had come to him dressed as a simple serving wench, which somehow excited him all the more. Jaime had never seen her more passionate. Every time he went to sleep, she woke him again. By morning Casterly Rock seemed a small price to pay to be near her always. He gave his consent, and Cersei promised to do the rest.  

I believe this was just before he was sworn into the Kings Gaurd.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:55 PM, LadyBlackwater said:

I don’t believe she was a maid.

Cersei had come to him dressed as a simple serving wench, which somehow excited him all the more. Jaime had never seen her more passionate. Every time he went to sleep, she woke him again. By morning Casterly Rock seemed a small price to pay to be near her always. He gave his consent, and Cersei promised to do the rest.  

I believe this was just before he was sworn into the Kings Gaurd.

If Cersei wasn't a maid, would that have raised a red flag for Robert? Or was he so drunk that night that he didn't notice?

I think he was buys trying to picture Lyanna Stark. The first night he was in his cups I believe and when he bedded his new bride he said the name "Lyanna". But you would think it would have been noticed since it was such a high profile wedding. That's a really good point Angel Eyes!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 9:11 PM, Angel Eyes said:

If Cersei wasn't a maid, would that have raised a red flag for Robert? Or was he so drunk that night that he didn't notice?

I don't think so. I believe in AFFC chapter Cersei VI it is stated that highborn girls can lose their maidenhead by horse riding.

And as stated above, he was probably to drunk to notice/care.

• 4 weeks later...
Spoiler

Cersei reveals that she had sex with Jaime the morning before her wedding (and implies they had done it several times before already).

^For those who are curious about the subject of Cersei and her maidenhead. Not sure which book it was said in, but better given a spoiler warning.

Also, sometimes I worry that people who read about such things get the idea that the myth of a hymen is actually true. Just in case someone needs to be updated:
Nobody can 'prove' the virginity of a woman or a man. What people consider to be the hymen is not a full piece of skin covering the inside of the vagina, but mucosa membrane creases at the sides that are under such tension that pressure may cause them to tear and bleed. Around 50% of females that have sex for the first time do not bleed at all, the majority of those who do only bleed 1-2 drops, nothing major like its often depicted.
Also, those creases can easily tear through sports, stretching and jumping.

Why would Robert be concerned he already had at least two bastards and probably a third on the way (Mya Stone, Bella and Gendry0 The marriage was of convenience and a sop to Tywin ho was still trying cover up that the twins were not his but bastards of Aerys 

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2019 at 4:09 PM, Gerg Sknab said:

The marriage was of convenience and a sop to Tywin ho was still trying cover up that the twins were not his but bastards of Aerys 

Is this an accidental spoiler of A Dance with Dragons or did I miss something major? Where is it said that Aerys is Jaime and Cersei's father? 

5 hours ago, emily11luna said:

Is this an accidental spoiler of A Dance with Dragons or did I miss something major? Where is it said that Aerys is Jaime and Cersei's father? 

It's a theory not a spoiler. & Definitely not a proven one. 

On 6/8/2019 at 4:09 PM, Gerg Sknab said:

Why would Robert be concerned he already had at least two bastards and probably a third on the way (Mya Stone, Bella and Gendry0 The marriage was of convenience and a sop to Tywin ho was still trying cover up that the twins were not his but bastards of Aerys 

Because it's different for men. While @LadyOfCastamere is absolutely right, Robert would have absolutely cared if his bride to be wasn't a maid. Women are considered tarnished if they are not a virgin on their wedding night. 

Archived