Heresy 220 and the nature of magic

Black Crow

12 hours ago, Feather Crystal said:

If Othor and Jafer are proof that wights can be autonomous, then Small Paul could have found Sam and Gilly without there being a white walker nearby.

Depends how near is nearby. After all Bloodraven could communicate over rather a log way.

Then again Gilly [and as I recall Old Nan] spoke of the blue-eyed lot smelling life, so its entirely possible that the wights were broadcast widely and told to sic 'em, which aint quite autonomy and Small Paul certainly wasn't Coldhands

1 hour ago, alienarea said:

Off topic: looks like the forum sort order has changed with the tv show sections now being on top of the books.

Implies to me the series will not be concluded in writing.

Ah don't give me them negative waves, Moriarity

There was in interesting interview in NME where the Mummers were pretty open that their ending isn't GRRM's

14 hours ago, Mullocose said:

So, if Jon Wargs into Ghost, & then his body is thrown in the Ice Cells & forgotten about... Then Jon would be trapped inside Ghost?

Is that how it would work?

If Jon entered Ghost during the stabbing, the possibility that Jon is dead would be what keeps Jon trapped inside of Ghost.  Now if Jon is inside Ghost, what would happen if Jon’s body is then subsequently resurrected?  Who or what would Jon be resurrected as then?

8 hours ago, alienarea said:

Off topic: looks like the forum sort order has changed with the tv show sections now being on top of the books.

Implies to me the series will not be concluded in writing.

I’m not sure I’d read that much into it.  I think it probably just reflects the practicality that most of the traffic on this site will be from show viewers as opposed to book readers while the HBO show is on the air.

7 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Depends how near is nearby. After all Bloodraven could communicate over rather a log way.

Then again Gilly [and as I recall Old Nan] spoke of the blue-eyed lot smelling life, so its entirely possible that the wights were broadcast widely and told to sic 'em, which aint quite autonomy and Small Paul certainly wasn't Coldhands

I assume you still believe Bloodraven and the Children are behind the return of the white walkers? How do you anticipate that they’ll get past the Wall? Magic and blood sacrifice is what holds the Wall together. Now that most of human life is in the south side, what will Bloodraven and Bran do next? And why would they want to destroy so many lives?

8 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Ah don't give me them negative waves, Moriarity

There was in interesting interview in NME where the Mummers were pretty open that their ending isn't GRRM's

It's such a tease.  The major beats could be anything from the wall falls down to Jon returns to Winterfell.

32 minutes ago, LynnS said:

It's such a tease.  The major beats could be anything from the wall falls down to Jon returns to Winterfell.

We're all Lyannas pleading, "promise me George! Promise you'll finish the story!"

3 hours ago, Feather Crystal said:

I assume you still believe Bloodraven and the Children are behind the return of the white walkers? How do you anticipate that they’ll get past the Wall? Magic and blood sacrifice is what holds the Wall together. Now that most of human life is in the south side, what will Bloodraven and Bran do next? And why would they want to destroy so many lives?

Nah don't believe that and never have

14 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

If Jon entered Ghost during the stabbing, the possibility that Jon is dead would be what keeps Jon trapped inside of Ghost.  Now if Jon is inside Ghost, what would happen if Jon’s body is then subsequently resurrected?  Who or what would Jon be resurrected as then?

Well, if Jon's body was resurrected while the Red Comet passes overhead & Danny is doing an impromptu ritual that involves burning a mage & possibly some king's blood (like she has did at the end of Book 1)...

Then who would be reborn into Jon's body???

If you ask it like that, then my answer would be:

The Great Wolf & the Burning Man who were dancing in the tent with Mirri Maz Dur at the end of AGoT... That's who will claim Jon's Old Body...

--

& Mel's Vision of Jon being a Man, Wolf, Then a Man again... Jon will be a man again, but he will be a man in Hodor's Body - & he ain't going to be anything like the Jon we know now - It will NOT BE PRETTY...

--

Jon's original body will house Azor Ahi, & Jon's new body will be the Night's King (GRRM's version of the Night's King - nothing like the show's version)...

I don't believe that either.   But I think they are suspicious and not completely innocent.   I keep going back to Pan's Labyrinth and the 'dirty fairies', even though that movie didn't give a full explanation either. 

The White Walkers are what's left of the good side that lost, and BR and the Children are bad guys who became the last protection of everyone. 

I don't believe I know what your theory is then. Sharing is caring! :love: 

I'm probably not too far from Brad on this. I think that the primary connection is to the Starks. I'm dubious there's much of a connection with the Children or at least not an active one, and I don't think that Bloodraven is an independent player, but rather part of the trees.

As an aside I think that this may turn out to be the principal difference between the book and the mummer's version - the latter obsessing with the Iron Throne [ie; the Games of Thrones] rather than whats really going on

With the show heading towards a Battle of Winterfell between the Night King and the good guys, I had some new thoughts on geography. 

We discussed Winterfell as winter + fell.  'Fell' being either where Winter started or where it ended.   But isn't it in the wrong place?

If Winterfell was the last stronghold of the living in the Long Night and where winter ended in a battle between the living and the dead like what the show is bringing us, wouldn't the people in the South be relatively unaffected?  Far from being the armageddon that threatens to wipe out all life, people near Storm's End might need to wear an extra jacket.   Dornish might enjoy a cool breeze.  The final battle, if it came to that, should be much further South. 

And then the Wall is in the wrong place too.  If Winterfell is where Winter started,  it should be North of the Wall.   And the Wall, if it is a barrier between the Others and the land of the living, should be the front of a war, and again, if this was the front, people living in the South would be unaffected. 

IMO the Children blame themselves for teaching humans magic, and that is why the show depicted the creation of a white walker with a Children of the Forest inserting an obsidian blade into it's heart - which seems contrary to me, because obsidian breaks the spell. Maybe @wolfmaid7 has insight into how such a spell would work (one that is made and unmade using the same element).

The story of the Last Hero has 13 men traveling in search of the Children. They could have all started out in the south and travelled north until they reached Winterfell and found the Children there. The hot springs that Winterfell is said to be built upon would have been an ideal place to ride out an extended winter. And the heart tree may be the site of the very first human greenseer.

Archived