Bolton Nicknames

TheDonAJ

Many prominent members of houses have appelations that relate to their house sigil; with the Starks, ‘The young wolf’, ‘The hungry wolf’ - with the Lannisters - ‘Toothless lion’ etc. This is even seen with members of less prominent houses like Jeor ‘the old bear’ Mormont. Is this naming custom limited to houses with animal sigils? What would be the equivalent with House Bolton, and are their any historical examples of previous Bolton’s being nicknamed after their flayed man banners?

15 hours ago, TheDonAJ said:

Many prominent members of houses have appelations that relate to their house sigil; with the Starks, ‘The young wolf’, ‘The hungry wolf’ - with the Lannisters - ‘Toothless lion’ etc. This is even seen with members of less prominent houses like Jeor ‘the old bear’ Mormont. Is this naming custom limited to houses with animal sigils? What would be the equivalent with House Bolton, and are their any historical examples of previous Bolton’s being nicknamed after their flayed man banners?

The Rogar the Huntsman was one of the more famous Bolton ancestors.  They hunt animals.  They skinned their prisoners like a hunter dresses game.  

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Royce "Redarm" Bolton

Rogar "the Huntsman" Bolton

Seems Boltons gain nicknames for their favorite activities. I guess Rogar liked to hunt. Royce apparently was called Redarm for tearing entrails out of prisoners with his bare hands. Roose Bolton likes getting leeched - according to the wiki some call him Leech Lord, tho I don't remember who called him that.

2 hours ago, Syl of Syl said:

Roose Bolton likes getting leeched - according to the wiki some call him Leech Lord, tho I don't remember who called him that.

"I'd say that's so," their cook agreed. "Even if you get past Red Deer Island and don't meet up with Lord Beric and the red wizard, there's still the ruby ford before you. Last I heard, it was the Leech Lord's wolves held the ford, but that was some time past. By now it could be lions again, or Lord Beric, or anyone." (ASOS Jaime II)

Harwin's eyes went from her face to the flayed man on her doublet. "How do you know me?" he said, frowning suspiciously. "The flayed man . . . who are you, some serving boy to Lord Leech?" (ASOS Arya II)

Anguy the Archer bristled at the suggestion of cowardice. "Ask the goat if we've hidden, Hound. Ask your brother. Ask the lord of leeches. We've bloodied them all." (ASOS Arya VI)

There was nothing between her and her mother but a castle gate, a river, and an army . . . but it was Robb's army, so there was no real danger there. Was there?

Roose Bolton was one of them, though. The Leech Lord, as the outlaws called him. (ASOS Arya X)

Archived