UK Politics: The Edge of Destruction

Chaircat Meow

6 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Slash EU regulations on wildlife protection and drug safety trials after Brexit, Michael Gove urges

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-regulations-michael-gove-environment-drugs-a7649041.html

Let the Free Market be Free!

Eagerly awaiting our resident Kelly Anne to come and spin this.

”Well actually what he meant was...”

Am I reading that scrolling news right? Another conservative MP (Nigel Adams) has resigned (this time because May is TOO willing to compromise)?

Does that bring Conservatives down to 311? And therefore Con+DUP can't bring a majority in the house of commons, even without Sinn Fein taking their seats?

ETA: No sorry, I think it's now 312+10, with 8 empty seats (7 Sinn Fein + 1 vacant*), so they can combine for a majority of 1 - assuming the latest update I looked at included Nick Boles' switch

* Newport West, Labour since 1987, by-election tomorrow, voted Leave in 2016

Adams' resignation letter makes it clear that he favours May's deal or no deal, as well as unfortunately ramping up the rhetoric against Corbyn (who he describes as '...a Marxist who has never once in his political life put British interests first' - see my previous post for why that shit is dangerous).

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Adams' resignation letter makes it clear that he favours May's deal or no deal, as well as unfortunately ramping up the rhetoric against Corbyn (who he describes as '...a Marxist who has never once in his political life put British interests first' - see my previous post for why that shit is dangerous).

IDS on Corbyn "A harsh Marxist whose only goal in life is to do ireperable harm to this country" "The worst thing about this is that she has legitimised him as a politician"

Quotes may be slightly inaccurate, I was offline when that interview started broadcasting.

I don't remember this much hostility and disrespect within the commons ever; and it's all one-sided. It's almost like they've seen the murder of Jo Cox, and a plausible plot to assassinate Rosie Cooper and decided to up the hate speech against Labour!

It just seems to be the Tory MO: insult the EU, insult Labour, insult Corbyn, insult each other.  Toxic.

I'm no Corbyn fan, but he is Leader of the Opposition and an elected MP, therefore a genuine politician.

I got to say, these hate attacks are making me more likely to vote Labour, not less.  I mean I wan't gonna vote Tory, but there are other parties, and if I'm lucky I may get the chance to vote for one of them. 

I guess I'm not their target audience.

The Tories seem to have been terrified of Corbyn at some point, and their dirty smear campaign worked on some level. 

I think he’d be pretty dreadful for the country but I can’t get behind most of the things thrown at him, they are often ridiculous.

IDS on Corbyn "A harsh Marxist whose only goal in life is to do ireperable harm to this country" "The worst thing about this is that she has legitimised him as a politician"

Given that IDS has inflicted real, measurable and immense harm on this country, with his policies leading directly to the deaths of hundreds of people, he should seriously consider shutting his fucking mouth. An odious, ignorant little fuckwit.

Anyway, Jacob Rees-Mogg was very angry on the BBC this morning that repeatedly associating himself with racists and bigots has led some to question whether he might share their racist and bigoted views, almost as if he believes actions will not result in consequences. A standard position for the Conservatives, certainly, but one you'd hope some of them would be able to rise above.

Sky News justifying this by saying that there are well-founded concerns about Corbyn's security credentials within the military, 'as you would expect'.

Whether these are more well-founded than British companies flooding Yemen with weapons, associating with Saudi Arabia, us bombing Libya and thus destabilising the north African coast and conducting an illegal invasion of Iraq (all things bitterly opposed by Corbyn) is questionable. Except, wait, it isn't. That's far worse, and all done under the Conservatives or Blair.

20 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Anyway, Jacob Rees-Mogg was very angry on the BBC this morning that repeatedly associating himself with racists and bigots has led some to question whether he might share their racist and bigoted views, almost as if he believes actions will not result in consequences.

I understand that, angry as he was, he refused to say whether he disagreed with the AfD's views. 

JFC members of the military using Corbyns image for shooting practice at the same time the Tories ramp up rhetoric against him really doesn't bode well for potential additional assassinations/attempts (referring to Join Cox as the prior one, not claiming attempts on Corbyn)

6 minutes ago, karaddin said:

JFC members of the military using Corbyns image for shooting practice at the same time the Tories ramp up rhetoric against him really doesn't bode well for potential additional assassinations/attempts (referring to Join Cox as the prior one, not claiming attempts on Corbyn)

Rosie Coper as well (headline news yesterday); or has that story not reached the international news desks?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-44798649

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So, people are voting in clowns to the national Parliament who put mutually exclusive policies in their manifesto. No wonder the UK is screwing itself.

Hey now, give credit where credit is due; we patented that shit here in the good ol' USA.

14 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Rosie Coper as well (headline news yesterday); or has that story not reached the international news desks?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-44798649

Not sure if it hasn't hit or I've just missed it. I see people on Twitter saying those troops are Paratroopers that are infamous for being awful and not really facing consequences along with specifically awfulness in northern Ireland and that his stance on Irish republicans might be a factor in their current ire. No less concerning though. 

Anyway, talking about May and her poisoned present for Corbyn.

Dunt's breakdown.

[...]

You have to pay very close attention to her speeches. She hides her strategy in the precise wording of the text.

Look at this sentence again:

"We would want to agree a timetable for this bill to ensure it is passed before the 22nd of May, so the UK need not take part in European parliamentary elections."

Sounds simple, but it isn't. It has two potential meanings and the difference between them could mean everything to Brexit endgame.

In the best case scenario, it means she will ask for a long extension, possibly to the end of the year, pass the domestic legislation to take part in the European elections by April 12th, and then try to get the deal through before May 22nd so we can leave before the election actually takes place. That would be fine. It would simply be a political ambition, rather than a legal trap.

There is some evidence she might intend this. De-facto deputy prime minister David Lidington yesterday wrote to the Electoral Commission instructing them to prepare for the election as a contingency measure.

But there is a worst case scenario too. She could be planning to only request an extension of Article 50 to May 22nd. This would take the EU's deal timetable offer and apply it to her no-deal circumstance. All the talk of working with Jeremy Corbyn and an indicative votes back-up mechanism would, in this interpretation, not really be meaningful. It would simply be there to convince the EU to extend their offer without the UK having to pass legislation to take part in the elections. 

This strategy would be intended to get the UK into the danger zone - that window of time between April 12th and May 22nd when no further extension of Article 50 are possible. Then she could do what she has always wanted to do and force MPs to pick between her deal and no-deal.

There is evidence for this too. Just look at her proposal for the first extension of Article 50, in which she outlined two time periods, but then only asked the EU for the shorter one. You would, let's be frank, be mad to trust her.

My reading is, she is gunning for the second interpretation. However, that would require the EU to play ball, which it won't. We've seen enough from this UK goverment during the past two years to not allow this (at least I hope we have). I think the EU will play hardball, and not get into a position where it could be held hostage by May. No WA signed next week, no extension till May. Only long extension and EU election open - or no deal (or revoke and EU election obviously).

I still think no-deal is atm the most likely outcome.

I want to see another way out, but I just don't see how anything else can be delivered by May unless her endless brinkmanship works for her in the end. And she really doesn't deserve to have it work. 

The likely medicine shortages in case of a no deal are really scaring some of the people I follow on Twitter, unfortunately it's almost impossible to have much stockpile of your own to get you by until it's worked out as well.

For those of us who remain bewildered about where all this came from, Josh Marshall (who originally trained as an historian before turning to journalism) gives us a readable summation on his Talking Points Memo site:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/in-which-josh-seeks-to-explain-brexit

Somewhere else today I saw the BREXIT catastrophe described as "you can't fix stupid."

Archived