UK Politics: The Edge of Destruction

Chaircat Meow

3 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Brexit is not top of the news today! When  was the last time that happened?

Did the English football team win?

4 hours ago, felice said:

If the UK parliament used proportional representation and the government was made up of a coalition of independent parties, there'd be rather more chance of an alternative to May putting together a working majority to take over. Brexit is perfectly demonstrating the woeful inadequacy of FPTP / the two party system, with both major parties committed to a disaster that half the population never supported.

Yeah I was pretty thrown by the idea that essentially the cause of Brexit was too much democracy in European Parliament.

11 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I disagree about the low turnout factor. I think this is a good chance for all the remainers to send a message by voting, a high turnout would make a way more compelling argument for staying than abstaining.

And you can make a domestic point by not voting for the three leave parties (Tories, Labour, UKIP). That's why I said, it's not FPTP.

SNP, Plaid Cymru, the Greens, or Sinn Fein for all I care.

This isn't really disagreeing, though. You're talking about what you think should happen and I'm talking about what I think will happen. Two different things.

More specifically, I'm not even saying turnout will definitely be low. I'm saying I think it's reasonable to anticipate that holding elections in this scenario may be problematic, rather than just being opposed to the idea ideologically. I agree it would be wonderful if we held European elections and returned a slate of pro-Remain MEPs with a turnout of 75%. But how likely is that really? Based on the historic disinterest in Euro elections, coupled with the fact that (as I say) every candidate elected would be a lame duck, I think not very.

13 hours ago, Nothing Has Changed said:

PR was what gave UKIP their platform in the EP and so brought about the referendum. If it was FPTP that would never have happened. 

UKIP would probably have won close to a majority of seats in 2014, on 28%, if the European elections had been conducted under FPTP.

8 hours ago, felice said:

If the UK parliament used proportional representation and the government was made up of a coalition of independent parties, there'd be rather more chance of an alternative to May putting together a working majority to take over. Brexit is perfectly demonstrating the woeful inadequacy of FPTP / the two party system, with both major parties committed to a disaster that half the population never supported.

PR would have produced a Conservative/UKIP coalition government in 2015.

22 minutes ago, SeanF said:

UKIP would probably have won close to a majority of seats in 2014, on 28%, if the European elections had been conducted under FPTP.

PR would have produced a Conservative/UKIP coalition government in 2015.

Probably, but people voting tactically in FPTP wouldn't with PR which may have changed things a bit.  Although not many people vote Tory/UKIP to keep labour / Lib Dems out.

Betty Boothroyd absolutely killing it in the Lords. On young people, she says, "Are they to be stripped of their rights on the whim of those who peddled rubbish in a referendum and are afraid to be challenged in another?"

Brilliant, stirring stuff.

Sneaky question but don't these MEPs automatically secure a generous life time pension upon election?

So even if it's a political waste of time for the UK,I'm sure there'll be no lack of individuals jumping on the gravy train.

Be interested in their justification-"I'm just doing this as a political expedient to get Brexit over the line".

Yeah right.

Just now, redriver said:

Correct.But around 6.5k euro per month might swing it.

Did you read that in the Daily Mail?

Here's the actual truth:

Are MEPs entitled to a pension? How much is it?
Members are entitled to an old-age pension from the age of 63. The pension equals 3.5% of the salary for each full year’s exercise of a mandate but not more than 70% in total. The cost of these pensions is met from the European Union budget. An additional pension scheme, introduced for MEPs in 1989, was closed to new members from July 2009 and is being phased out.

I knew nothing at all about MEP pensions, until I read your post. The correct information isn't hard to find, unless you're a moron low information voter.

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Did you read that in the Daily Mail?

Here's the actual truth:

I knew nothing at all about MEP pensions, until I read your post. The correct information isn't hard to find, unless you're a moron low information voter.

The 6.5 k per month was referring to their active salary.The pension question was just that,a question.

No need to call me a moron.I think we Irish have been incredibly tolerant toward this Brexit bullshit from the get go.

On the positive side it seems the DUP are actively working for a united Ireland at the earliest opportunity.

8 minutes ago, redriver said:

The 6.5 k per month was referring to their active salary.The pension question was just that,a question.

No need to call me a moron.I think we Irish have been incredibly tolerant toward this Brexit bullshit from the get go.

Protip: To avoid being called a moron on the internet, avoid spouting unsubstantiated bullshit on public message boards.

And enough with the I'm just an innocent Irish person, asking a genuine question. There's a world of difference between, "Gee, I wonder what kind of pension MEPs get." and whatever the fuck you said.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Protip: To avoid being called a moron on the internet, avoid spouting unsubstantiated bullshit on public message boards.

Not as statement,but in question form.The idea being "can you guys help me out with this?"

Thanks for your usual helpful input.What's wrong,has your dog run away again?

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Betty Boothroyd absolutely killing it in the Lords. On young people, she says, "Are they to be stripped of their rights on the whim of those who peddled rubbish in a referendum and are afraid to be challenged in another?"

Brilliant, stirring stuff.

In a democracy, we attach no more importance to the vote of a young voter than we do to the vote of an old voter.  

I think her point was more to do with those who have come of age since the referendum. And the fact that a lot of people who will soon be dead are fucking things up for those who have to live here for fifty years. 

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I think her point was more to do with those who have come of age since the referendum. And the fact that a lot of people who will soon be dead are fucking things up for those who have to live here for fifty years. 

Young voters end up growing into old voters.

Archived