The Book of Dust: Volume II (Spoilers for HDM and La Belle Sauvage)

HexMachina

So this little nugget of info managed to slip by me unnoticed until today, when I noticed my Waterstones had a big advert to pre-order Volume II of the Book of Dust. Obviously I immediately vjumped online to see how I missed it.

The Secret Commonwealth will be released 3rd October in the UK and will follow Lyra some 20 years after the events of the Amber Spyglass. This is quite a significant time jump from the ending of La Belle Sauvage of course, which ends with Lyra as a baby still. 

It will also move away from Lyra's Oxford as the she travels to Asia. I do dearly dearly love Lyra's Oxford but I happen to think creating vibrant and compelling environments is a strength of Pullman's so I suspect I will enjoy this. Was very happy with the first book. Judging by the Guardian article, this will be as the Subtle Knife was to The Northern Lights, darker in tone and content.

An extract and more info available here: 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi2sojokLLhAhWNoBQKHaNhBr0QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fbooks%2F2019%2Ffeb%2F27%2Fnew-philip-pullman-novel-the-secret-commonwealth-book-of-dust&psig=AOvVaw1KzvIfgKj8kZFQf9wa4vWt&ust=1554319318557326

(Haven't read the extract myself)

I thought La Belle Sauvage was excellent, so I'm definitely looking forward to this. Hopefully it can maintain the quality, and it will be interesting to see an adult Lyra and Malcolm (from the article it sounds like Malcolm is going to be playing a bit role in this).

I finished belle sauvage recently and really enjoyed. Pullman is a fine author and his prose is a joy to read.

The fact this seems more of a sequel to amber spyglass has me really interested. That said i hope we get to see an older Malcolm too. I didn't realize until recently that he had appeared in HDM. I'd be disappointed if he just became a scholar although i hope he has been more of sn Indiana Jones scholar.

37 minutes ago, red snow said:

That said i hope we get to see an older Malcolm too. I didn't realize until recently that he had appeared in HDM. I'd be disappointed if he just became a scholar although i hope he has been more of sn Indiana Jones scholar.

? Was he mentioned in passing or a meaningful role? 

Also very much looking forward to the new book. With a little hatred coming out in September that will be an exciting time for reading. 

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

? Was he mentioned in passing or a meaningful role? 

Also very much looking forward to the new book. With a little hatred coming out in September that will be an exciting time for reading. 

Apparently in the novellas he's a tutor of lyra and marks some coursework, so not very substantial. I'd have to read the scenes to be sure but I'd have hoped there was some indication of how dedicated he was to her as a child

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

According to Wikipedia season 2 of the bbc/HBO adaptation is already greenlit. 

I think it has been for some time. It may even have had two seasons from the start? 

This is a name drop and I'm sorry, but you might like to hear it.

I spoke to my publisher yesterday. He is editing the sequel right now and he couldn't stop himself gushing about it. He gave me no spoilers, but his enthusiasm was such that now I'm desperate to read it.

1 hour ago, Peadar said:

I spoke to my publisher yesterday. He is editing the sequel right now and he couldn't stop himself gushing about it. He gave me no spoilers, but his enthusiasm was such that now I'm desperate to read it.

What did you have to do that for?  It's still 6 bloody months. Now i cant wait. 

1 hour ago, Peadar said:

I rescind all congratulations on your Hugo nom

19 hours ago, john said:

Pics or it didn’t happen.

And make those pics of each individual page please.

18 hours ago, williamjm said:

If it's too much effort to take the pictures, I'll volunteer to take them if Peadar sends me the ARC.

:D:D

• 2 months later...

For anyone in the London area, there is going to be a launch event with Philip Pullman at Alexandra Palace when the new book comes out. I wonder if the 'guests' it mentions might be people involved in the TV show?

I like the 'retro travel poster' cover art.

18 hours ago, williamjm said:

For anyone in the London area, there is going to be a launch event with Philip Pullman at Alexandra Palace when the new book comes out. I wonder if the 'guests' it mentions might be people involved in the TV show?

I like the 'retro travel poster' cover art.

Ball bags. I used to live a 5 min walk from ally pally, I'm not commuting from oxfordshite. 

Archived