Crown of Stars series - does it get any better?

oberonus

So I started book one of the Crown of Stars series, King's Dragon, based off of recommendations of people whose opinion I value, but my god is this book a slog. I'm almost at the halfway mark and I'm basically forcing myself to read this as its just so goddamn boring. 

slight spoilers

Spoiler

I'm at the part that Liath gets rescued from Hugh and is joining the Eagle's and Count Lavastine has just sacked his cousins castle 

all the religious talk and lack of plot is just making me not enjoy this book at all. However people say this series is great. I'm not seeing it and just need to know it gets better so i can convince myself to slog through, otherwise I think i'm just going to give up (but I'm not a fan of giving up on books)

is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

It's a series that dives deeply into genuine medieval attitudes to religion, politics and warfare (rather than the cartoonish approach taken by other fantasy authors, which even GRRM can be guilty of). It's somewhat slow-paced and thoughtful. The first book is not the best and the series does improve significantly as it goes along, at least until it gets to around Book 6/7 when the pacing flags a little.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:24 PM, Darth Richard II said:

You are all terrible people, except for Wert, of course. :P

I tried! I picked up the series because it was one of wert's recommendations of top fantasy series from his gratuitous list. its just such a slog

I read the first book, as I recall, and didn't enjoy it sufficiently to continue. Linda got further along in the series but eventually stopped as well.

As a bit of a historical curiosity, there is/was a circle of writers who fairly directly believed Elliot's series should have had the success and popularity that ASoIaF had, and tended to denigrate GRRM's work in light of that belief.

I love Elliott and Crown of Stars but it definitely kind of lost some momentum near the end. Now her Crossroads stuff, THAT deserves to be as popular as GRRM.

Also never understood blaming another series for being more popular then a different one, unless they like, directly copied from each other or something.

Do you know whom those writers were/are?

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I read the first book, as I recall, and didn't enjoy it sufficiently to continue. Linda got further along in the series but eventually stopped as well.

As a bit of a historical curiosity, there is/was a circle of writers who fairly directly believed Elliot's series should have had the success and popularity that ASoIaF had, and tended to denigrate GRRM's work in light of that belief.

I think ASoIaF has distinctly more "character" than Crown of Stars, and certainly a much greater scope but I think Elliott's grasp of the very early medieval period (more leaning towards the 8th/9th Century than GRRM's 13th/14th Century) was extremely assured and her portrayal of certain cultures was much more nuanced, so her Eastern European plains-dwelling nomadic horse warriors were far superior to the Dothraki in terms of believability and depth.

Dialogue was not a strong point of the series (as it is in ASoIaF, certainly) but I think the much greater focus on a smaller number of characters and storylines was to CoS's benefit, and assured it got finished in a reasonable timeframe, but that also removes from it a lot of the epic scope that gives ASoIaF its appeal.

To be honest, I think the series' early struggles with getting out there (although it's sold quite reasonably well, but nothing like ASoIaF numbers, of course) might be down to the absolutely, mind-bogglingly awful cover art on the US first editions).

I liked the cover to The King's DragonPrince of Dogs, the dogs look fine, the character (Sanglant?) not so much. 

One thing's for sure, the publisher didn't think it had crossover appeal, as they definitely sold it as fantasy from the get-go.

10 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Now her Crossroads stuff, THAT deserves to be as popular as GRRM.

Irritatingly the follow up series seems to have just petered out after the first book came out a few years ago.

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Irritatingly the follow up series seems to have just petered out after the first book came out a few years ago.

Dead Empire is due out next year, apparently due to her YA series taking off and doing better, so she focused on that. But yeah, Books 1 and 2 of a trilogy being separated by five years is not ideal.

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I'll have to check dates but I don't think Elliott has ever been a speedy writer.

Nah, I don't think it's just because she's writing slowly. She mostly puts a book out every year or two when she's writing a series. Her twitter's a bit of a chore to get through but I think she vaguely alluded to some publishing issues at some point. Wert's probably right that the focus was on her Court of Fives books for a while but I can't see anything clear cut about when Dead Empire's coming out.

23 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I'll have to check dates but I don't think Elliott has ever been a speedy writer.

She was a one-book-per-year writer for many, many years. Crown of Stars did dent that a little, but because she wrote books too big to publish in one volume and then splitting them in half. Still, seven big novels (one of them more than 1,000 pages long) in nine years is nothing to sneeze at.

23 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I can't see anything clear cut about when Dead Empire's coming out

Orbit have it listed as a 2020 release.

Archived