Poll: Has Brienne Become a Wight?

Platypus Rex

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:14 PM, Wolf of the Steppes said:

I wasn't aware of this theory, and nearly choked on my lunch when I read the title.  I was thinking a white wight.

You mean, ice wight?

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:14 PM, Wolf of the Steppes said:

Although it is an intriguing theory, I'm saying No.....can't buy in.

Thanks for your vote.  1 for to 16 against, so far.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:24 PM, NonoNono said:

Interesting. Could be. Like Davos might also have died, without knowing he was resurrected. There's no reason why she would even be aware she did die.

I like it. I'll say, yes, since I believe she executes Jaime with Oathkeeper towards the end of the story. That being said, I don't think she kills Jaime in the LS bit.

But I don't think it would ever be made conclusive.

Davos certainly did not die he had a fever and was sick after he was saved from the rock he was on if he was a zombie he would not be able to get sick or have a fever thus he never died

5 hours ago, Wolf of the Steppes said:

Obviously, you understood my meaning.

Sorry.  I did not mean to just be pedantic.  I was honestly wondering if you had been thinking of ice wights or white walkers.  Not that it matters, of course.  Either way, it explains her bright blue eyes.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, NonoNono said:

I like it. I'll say, yes, since I believe she executes Jaime with Oathkeeper towards the end of the story. That being said, I don't think she kills Jaime in the LS bit.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, Haus Berlin said:

I leave my "yes" now and return another time with adjustments on how, because I'm convinced that Brienne died after her fight and already was a wight the moment she got hanged.

That makes 2 brave souls, in support of this unpopular theory, to 20 against.  

1 hour ago, Platypus Rex said:

That makes 2 brave souls, in support of this unpopular theory, to 20 against.  

The thing is, if Jon is to be resurrected without that making his character pointless, I don't see why it would be any worst with Brienne. So a yes shouldn't be that controversial. Especially since she might never even know she died.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:09 PM, Platypus Rex said:

Has Brienne of Tarth Become a "Fire Wight" (That is, One of the Walking Dead Like Beric or Lady Stoneheart) Prior to Her Meeting With Jaime in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS? 

I don't think she's dead yet.  Do you expect Cat killed her and then passed on the breath of life to her corpse?

25 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

I don't think she's dead yet.  Do you expect Cat killed her and then passed on the breath of life to her corpse?

Lem hanged her.  That much is canon.  The theory part is that she actually died (like most people who are hanged) instead of being saved at the last minute (like in many stories).  The theory is that someone then gave her the kiss of fire.  Was it Thoros?  Was it Stoneheart?  Was it a third person who somehow gained this power?  Take your pick.

Thanks for your vote. 

On 4/8/2019 at 5:12 PM, Platypus Rex said:

Either way, it explains her bright blue eyes

Haha!  I like that.

And you're very gracious to say so..... I did take it as pedantic and I almost responded that I had really meant this, just to be a smart ass:

Craven, craven, craven. He giggled hysterically, wondering if they would make a wight of him, a huge fat white wight always tripping over its own dead feet. Do it, Sam. 

A lot of people in here are pedantic for no other reason ( there ARE certainly some good reasons/arguments to be) but to try and "shame" the other poster.  You seem really cool though.  Thanks again.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:12 PM, Platypus Rex said:

Either way, it explains her bright blue eyes.

Brienne is described as having beautiful blue eyes as early as CoK.    Brienne also wore blue armor. Brienne definitely doesn't look like the actress/actor who portrays her.

A Clash of Kings - Catelyn II     "Approach," King Renly called to the champion.    He [she actually] limped toward the gallery. At close hand, the brilliant blue armor looked rather less splendid; everywhere it showed scars, the dents of mace and warhammer, the long gouges left by swords, chips in the enameled breastplate and helm./

A Clash of Kings - Catelyn II     She did as he bid her. And when the greathelm was lifted, Catelyn understood Ser Colen's words.  Beauty, they called her . . . mocking. The hair beneath the visor was a squirrel's nest of dirty straw, and her face . . . Brienne's eyes were large and very blue, a young girl's eyes, trusting and guileless, but the rest . . . her features were broad and coarse, her teeth prominent and crooked, her mouth too wide, her lips so plump they seemed swollen./

On 4/7/2019 at 4:32 PM, Impbread said:

No she just looks like s*** after all she has been put through in the last few months since Jamie has seen her

Agree.

A Feast for Crows - Brienne VII     Brienne's chest was burning, and the storm was behind her eyes, blinding her. Bones ground against each other inside of her. Biter's mouth gaped open, impossibly wide. She saw his teeth, yellow and crooked, filed into points. When they closed on the soft meat of her cheek, she hardly felt it. She could feel herself spiraling down into the dark. I cannot die yet, she told herself, there is something I still need to do.      Biter's mouth tore free, full of blood and flesh. He spat, grinned, and sank his pointed teeth into her flesh again. This time he chewed and swallowed. He is eating me, she realized, but she had no strength left to fight him any longer. She felt as if she were floating above herself, watching the horror as if it were happening to some other woman, to some stupid girl who thought she was a knight. It will be finished soon, she told herself. Then it will not matter if he eats me. Biter threw back his head and opened his mouth again, howling, and stuck his tongue out at her. It was sharply pointed, dripping blood, longer than any tongue should be. Sliding from his mouth, out and out and out, red and wet and glistening, it made a hideous sight, obscene. His tongue is a foot long, Brienne thought, just before the darkness took her. Why, it looks almost like a sword./

Turns out Robert's bastard stuck a sword through Biter. Brienne is saved again.

Then the feverish ride to LS's cave. Where Brienne discovers she has been striped of her armor and someone had tended to her wounds.

A Feast for Crows - Brienne VIII      She pushed aside the sheepskins. Someone had stripped her of her clothes and armor, she saw. She was clad in a brown woolen shift, thin but freshly washed. Her forearm had been splinted and bound up with linen, though. One side of her face felt wet and stiff. When she touched herself, she found some sort of damp poultice covering her cheek and jaw and ear./

18 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

The theory is that someone then gave her the kiss of fire.  Was it Thoros?  Was it Stoneheart?  Was it a third person who somehow gained this power?  Take your pick.

Some how Brienne managed via martin to croak out the word sword before she choked to death.

What say you answer your own questions. Take your pick.   Was it Thoros?  Was it Stoneheart?  Was it a third person who somehow gained this power? 

But remember, boys and girls, just because it is unpopular does not mean it is not true!

Point well taken, sir.

Just because something is popular does not mean it is true! Says me.  

A far less popular theory holds that she was not cut down alive.  She was dead when cut down, and given the kiss of fire, either by Thoros or Stoneheart.  It is her walking corpse that encounters Jaime, at midnight, at the end of Jaime's last point-of-view chapter.  The final word she screamed is significant, because, as GRRM said in an SSM, fire wights are driven by their oaths.   "Sword" per the theory, represents the dying oath to "take the sword and kill the kingslayer".  Even at night, Jaime can tell that Brienne does not look good, or, as he puts it, she seems to have aged 10 years.  In support of this theory is offered a plethora of death dreams and foreshadowings.  Jaime's weirwood dream has Brienne and Jaime trapped together in a sort of underworld, with Brienne looking strangely beautiful as if he were seeing her soul rather than her body.  One of Brienne's nightmares involves her being menaced by a sorcerer involved in the enslavement and animation of the dead. The gravedigger accidentally throws gravedirt on Brienne's feet.  The shield she carried was the black bat of Lothston, which she later learns of an emblem of ill omen, associated with dark sorcery.

Yes if we accept this in isolation.  Yes.  Allow one more explanation for her behavior.  She decided to live at the last second and promised her captors anything to avoid death.  

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Brienne is described as having beautiful blue eyes as early as CoK.    

That was a joke.  The poll question asks if she is a fire wight, not if she is an ice wight or an Other. 

I think, maybe, that red wights acquire grey eyes, in much the way that ice wights acquire blue eyes.   But the textual evidence for that is very iffy.

Some how Brienne managed via martin to croak out the word sword before she choked to death.

Sure. 

What say you answer your own questions. Take your pick.   Was it Thoros?  Was it Stoneheart?  Was it a third person who somehow gained this power? 

My answer to the poll question is:  Yes, she's a zombie, and her undead zombie mission is "take the sword and kill the kingslayer"; and Jaime, Sansa, Stannis, and perhaps others, are on her list of "kingslayers".  I don't know if it was Thoros or Stoneheart who gave her the kiss of fire.  But I think she give the kiss of fire to Jaime.

1 hour ago, Sire de Maletroit said:

Point well taken, sir.

Yes if we accept this in isolation.  Yes.  Allow one more explanation for her behavior.  She decided to live at the last second and promised her captors anything to avoid death.  

I put you down as a "Yes".  But I'm not sure from the above, if you are 51% one way or the other.  So please let me know if I got it wrong.

In any event, thanks for the vote.

30 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

I put you down as a "Yes".  But I'm not sure from the above, if you are 51% one way or the other.  So please let me know if I got it wrong.

In any event, thanks for the vote.

Yes it's a yes.  She's a wight wight now.  You had the wight of it.  

Archived