Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

One-third (ish) of the Death Star survived intact to land on Endor without destroying itself or Endor? Ignoring the fact that the entire Death Star very clearly exploded into a trillion pieces at the end of RotJ?

J.J. Abrams is officially banned from making any more SF movies until he has sat a very basic course in physics, astrophysics, astronomy and fucking common sense.

Also, Chekov's Ewok states they can't show Endor in the trailers without Ewoks showing up in the movie.

1 minute ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

- OK for the "wreckage movie": it would be a contemplative movie with a story about an old retired Stormtrooper who decides to go on pligrimage where he fought...for the soundtrack, the quiet musics of Blade Runner or Dune could suffice.

Well, that's the thing, my vision of it has no narrative!  Like, I think it would be more like Powaqqatsi, and where it would you show all these "remains" and "ruins" of the Old Republic, the Empire, the battles, and it's all interstitched with what becomes of it after, like indigenous life and societies built in it, around it, in concert with it.  Like, it's something sort of akin to a Hegelian dialectic of Being:Non-being:Becoming.  There are no "characters" there is just being and life and the becoming of ruin ensconced in the ruins of the past.

You know, some dirty, hippy, artist shit or something...

8 minutes ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

- I wanted badly an adaptation of the Timothy Zhan trilogy! Indeed Thrawn show up in the third season of Starwars Rebel (a side business product better than expected)

Yeah, I been meaning to get around to watch the second season, I have it, just "ain't got no time for that" right now.

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

One-third (ish) of the Death Star survived intact to land on Endor without destroying itself or Endor? Ignoring the fact that the entire Death Star very clearly exploded into a trillion pieces at the end of RotJ?

Come on, you know that Star Wars physics is just like regular physics except there is no contingency, continuality or causality.  There is only narrative necessity.

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

J.J. Abrams is officially banned from making any more SF movies until he has sat a very basic course in physics, astrophysics, astronomy and fucking common sense.

Also, Chekov's Ewok states they can't show Endor in the trailers without Ewoks showing up in the movie.

I agree with the general premise but in fairness that's probably Endor the planet, not the moon, so no need for Ewoks and it's big enough to not necessarily be completely destroyed by a Death Star. Though it looks like he's still got the scale wrong (feels like a third of a Death Star should be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger on the horizon than that) and yeah, there should be no pieces of Death Star anyway.

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Eh, I think that's the OG Death Star on Yavin IV, but, I dunno.

But that one also exploded completely, haha.  And Emps wasn't even there, so why put the "laugh over" on that part?

I mean, who knows, maybe it's not even the Death Star, but some super contrived "proto-Death Star" that they were "hiding" for some nonsensical reason.  God only knows what they think are "good ideas."

19 minutes ago, .H. said:

Come on, you know that Star Wars physics is just like regular physics except there is no contingency, continuality or causality.  There is only narrative necessity.

Holy Alliteration Batman!  Well done.

I agree with the general premise but in fairness that's probably Endor the planet

Endor the planet was a gas giant, or at least it was supposed to be (and appeared as such in Ewoks the TV series and the two spin-off live-action movies). Also, the DS2 was in direct and close orbit above Endor the moon and if bits of it were going to come down anywhere, it'd be on the moon.

Eh, I think that's the OG Death Star on Yavin IV, but, I dunno

The OG Death Star exploded thousands upon thousands of miles from Yavin IV, and any bits left over would have fallen into the gas giant's atmosphere. Also, the OG Death Star had no connection to the Emperor, whilst the DS2 is his tomb (or would have been if it hadn't been, y'know, clearly atomised at the end of RotJ).

I mean, who knows, maybe it's not even the Death Star, but some super contrived "proto-Death Star" that they were "hiding" for some nonsensical reason.  God only knows what they think are "good ideas."

Yeah, that would at least work. It has a precedent (there was officially a Death Star prototype built, although the EU bits about it being near Kessel were de-canonised), it could be a lot smaller than the first two and if only part of it was built and it later fell into ruin then you can kind of make that fly. It's better than it actually being a surviving bit of either DS1 or DS2.

Also cmon, if you're complaining about physics in Star Wars NOW, your'e a bit late to the party

True, but there is a moment when suspension of disbelief is shattered. This is that even given Star Wars and especially Abrams' elastic looseness with reality.

27 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I agree with the general premise but in fairness that's probably Endor the planet, not the moon, so no need for Ewoks and it's big enough to not necessarily be completely destroyed by a Death Star. Though it looks like he's still got the scale wrong (feels like a third of a Death Star should be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger on the horizon than that) and yeah, there should be no pieces of Death Star anyway.

Given the size of Endor how the hell are they standing on a Planet of that size?

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I agree with you about JJ, but when it comes to DS debris, the explosion was so violent that stuff could have been thrown out of orbit.

And on how the shot of the explosion in RotJ was, well Disney has been retconning things here and there since they established what's canon and what's not. The Battlefront games showed TIE fighters on Hoth, a bunch of different ships and more troopers on Endor, so Lucas showing the DS completely disintegrating can be easily retconned, too.

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Y'all are forgetting about another Skywalker that's actually alive. (at least in the movie). 

That was my first thought upon seeing the title. 

And the trailer just totally sucked. I was jazzed as fuck after seeing the teasers for TFA and TLJ, but there was very little I was impressed by in that teaser. 

I liked seeing Lando and Kylo Ren kicking ass, but that's about it.

Saw some comments on the twitter suggesting Rey's lightsabre was white...and though I can kind of see it in the close shots, it certainly seemed blue in the far shots...

This movie should never have been given to JJ.  Maybe the direction Rian Johnson went wasn't everyone's cup of blue milk...but letting JJ back in? This is likely to be even more of a mess because he'll try to undo anything Johnson did.  Giving it to a totally differnet director was the way to go.

The title is awful and suggests that Rey is a Skywalker...though technically, Ren is half Skywalker...

I expext at least one extended scene with Rey and Ren having long conversations with a Luke force ghost, with appearances by Yoda, Vader/Anakin, Obi-Wan, maybe Qui-Gon (but likely not because the prequel nostalgia doesn't get JJ worked up enough), and yes, Palpatine, and that's why we're getting that cackle in the trailer...

16 minutes ago, Triskele said:

That cackle at the end...obviously it means that the Emperor survived his little fall, right?

He transferd his essence into the fetus of a half Ewok fathered by Luke during a one night stand and spent the years between the movies growing up.

Now it is time for the child of Skywalker to rise. 

Damn, December seems so long from now.  That wait is going to suck.

I loved the trailer, but am a sucker for anything Star Wars. Tatooine or -like planet, lightsabers, possible Death Star, Palpatine tease, new droid, Leia, Lando, MILLENIUM FALCON!!!!!, Chewie, Luke voice-over. I even like the title.

2 hours ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

Now I expect nothing: it avoids disapointment. Anyway we have already hit the bottom with this episode: the useless admiral with pink hair, the sudden disappearance of Ackbar, the tax haven where they serve champagne, Chewbacca becoming vegetarian (next step: Chewbacca opening a truckfood for Porgs serving organic fair-trade stuff?), the big bunch of plot holes...

Is it only humans who are allowed to make a life change?

I swore off Star Wars after TLJ. There's nothing in the teaser that gets my motor running, but it looks like it will get the fans excited.

Archived