Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

I’m pretty excited by the trailer.  I’m looking forward to a suitably epic conclusion, and then I’m hoping for new trilogies beyond the Skywalker saga in the future.  I enjoyed both Rouge One and Solo, but I would prefer a completely new, unknown chapter rather than more prequels.

On related news, my wife heard just yesterday about the Star Wars Celebration convention happening in Chicago this weekend.  Is that the lousiest advertisement and promotion?  What was this flying under the radar?  Anyway, we were able to buy passes for my wife, our son and me for tomorrow.   I hope it’s fun.

29 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is it only humans who are allowed to make a life change?

I swore off Star Wars after TLJ. There's nothing in the teaser that gets my motor running, but it looks like it will get the fans excited.

Well it's certainly out of character when you consider that Chewie is a battle hardened killer who once peacocked when accused of mutilating people who beat him in Space Chess and got his entire crew caught by Ewoks once because he wanted that just Shaq meat. Characters can change, and I wouldn't have brought this incident up in a critique of my own but it is indicative of the way the Sequel trilogy was put together.

It doesn't matter that Chewie is a really smart space dog with a gun. Someone thought that the audience wasn't connecting with this force business so what we really need is a "funny" scene of Chewie being shamed into not eating meat by a cartoon. In a movie that's 2.5 hours long!

This isn't character development or Chewie making a 'life change'. It's halfassed filmmaking.

11 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m pretty excited by the trailer.  I’m looking forward to a suitably epic conclusion, and then I’m hoping for new trilogies beyond the Skywalker saga in the future.  I enjoyed both Rouge One and Solo, but I would prefer a completely new, unknown chapter rather than more prequels.

On related news, my wife heard just yesterday about the Star Wars Celebration convention happening in Chicago this weekend.  Is that the lousiest advertisement and promotion?  What was this flying under the radar?  Anyway, we were able to buy passes for my wife, our son and me for tomorrow.   I hope it’s fun.

Um, they have been hyping the fuck out of that celebration for a year, at least.

12 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

More like it sold out in about an hour or so when tickets went on sale...

Yeah, most passes to Celebration, except for Monday day passes sold out last year.  Obviously there are resales available more recently but they did not have a problem with people knowing about the convention here in Chicago.

Anyway I will say I was fortunate to win the lottery and get to see the Episode IX panel in person this morning.  A new feature this year at Celebration - no need to camp out overnight - it was all random by computer and lottery to get in.  While I have always enjoyed watching these things online and the online community excitement over the trailers and teaser trailers, I have to say nothing beats being in a stadium with thousands of other incredibly excited fans watching it live in person!  Really great experience!  And when Ian McDiarmid came out on stage...wow!  And the crowds reaction!  Such a great moment to experience in person.  I won't forget that.  And I just loved being in the same room...okay a really ginormous room...with the people behind the movie and hearing them talk about it even for a little bit.  And seeing D-0!  So cute!

As for the trailer...well I absolutely hated TLJ and wasn't looking forward to this newest movie that much but maybe this trailer has rekindled my interest.  It's given me a new hope at least.

Everything about the Emperor seemingly being behind everything, and having the actor walk out on stage would be so incredibly cool... except it's JJ, and he'll ham fist everything about this for cheap nostalgia instead of actually telling a story worth a damn...

That damn Celebration. Two of my casual friends are a very successful, awesome and nerdy married couple who seem like generally normal people. Then you remember that they are like die-hard Star Wars cos-players, the dude is an engineer and she's an artist, and now their goddamn instagram and FB are inundating me with the multiple costumes they're planning to wear. Flying from NYC just to go. I want to be annoyed by their absurd excitement, but I am honestly just furiously jealous of their life.

Oh, about that trailer. Maaaaan don't make her a damn Skywalker, I sure hope it's regarding Ben Solo eventually forgiving himself for Emo Kyle and dying in some heroic fashion to end the line, killing Palpatine for real-reals being my easiest guess. I'm glad I wasn't the only went "Aw fuck that the entire goddamn death star clearly blew up to bits, even the fucking Ewoks saw it."

6 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

That damn Celebration. Two of my casual friends are a very successful, awesome and nerdy married couple who seem like generally normal people. Then you remember that they are like die-hard Star Wars cos-players, the dude is an engineer and she's an artist, and now their goddamn instagram and FB are inundating me with the multiple costumes they're planning to wear. Flying from NYC just to go. I want to be annoyed by their absurd excitement, but I am honestly just furiously jealous of their life.

Oh, about that trailer. Maaaaan don't make her a damn Skywalker, I sure hope it's regarding Ben Solo eventually forgiving himself for Emo Kyle and dying in some heroic fashion to end the line, killing Palpatine for real-reals being my easiest guess. I'm glad I wasn't the only went "Aw fuck that the entire goddamn death star clearly blew up to bits, even the fucking Ewoks saw it."

Someone I know is hosting a panel about Maul, so my twitter has been, yeah. :P

55 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Um, they have been hyping the fuck out of that celebration for a year, at least.

53 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

More like it sold out in about an hour or so when tickets went on sale...

I had not heard anything about it until yesterday.  My wife was driving past the convention center, was curious about the big set-up and then googled it when she got home.  Otherwise it would have slipped us by. 

I guess I’m good at avoiding ads, even if there are some I would like to hear.

the artoo actors are in it, no?

the OG Death Star had no connection to the Emperor, whilst the DS2 is his tomb (or would have been if it hadn't been, y'know, clearly atomised at the end of RotJ)

no one dies in SW falls.  he landed fine and scored a lift out. easy.  by similar stupidity, mace windu also survived his fall and will return too in IX.

and VIII is the only quality entry of the numbered sequence.  goodness.

I'm concerned that undoing TLJ is not really the best approach to counter the narrative that the fuckwits online believe - that Disney is running scared of them and they are in charge. And I'm not saying all of you that didn't like TLJ are in that group, but you all know who I am talking about.

5 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I'm concerned that undoing TLJ is not really the best approach to counter the narrative that the fuckwits online believe - that Disney is running scared of them and they are in charge. And I'm not saying all of you that didn't like TLJ are in that group, but you all know who I am talking about.

Eh, I didn't see anything in the trailer that definitely suggest they're undoing TLJ. I think some people are protecting a bit much onto it.

11 minutes ago, sologdin said:

Well, he's dead...so I hope not.

7 minutes ago, sologdin said:

the OG Death Star had no connection to the Emperor, whilst the DS2 is his tomb (or would have been if it hadn't been, y'know, clearly atomised at the end of RotJ)

no one dies in SW falls.  he landed fine and scored a lift out. easy.  by similar stupidity, mace windu also survived his fall and will return too in IX.

and VIII is the only quality entry of the numbered sequence.  goodness.

Mace Windu already reappeared in Episode 8, silly goose!

2 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Y'know, it's a bit of a situation. But I think at the end of the day it's best to remember that Disney doesn't give a fuck and maybe neither should we.

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Mace Windu already reappeared in Episode 8, silly goose!

Y'know, it's a bit of a situation. But I think at the end of the day it's best to remember that Disney doesn't give a fuck and maybe neither should we.

Not wrong, I'm just hoping it is indeed that they don't care. Which is probably the case, it all seems like JJ is more than enough of an explanation for the direction.

DR - I haven't watched it yet, was going off reactions in the thread. It's morning and I have a migraine.

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

Not wrong, I'm just hoping it is indeed that they don't care. Which is probably the case, it all seems like JJ is more than enough of an explanation for the direction.

DR - I haven't watched it yet, was going off reactions in the thread. It's morning and I have a migraine.

:grouphug:

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

I really hope this is not a part of the calculus either way.  Focus on making a good movie, not about all the internet bullshit, either way.  Abrams clearly has a different vision than Johnson did.  The fact the viewer has to get pulled back and forth on that is bad enough, and really irresponsible planning for a billion dollar operation.

Archived