Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

I really hope this is not a part of the calculus either way.  Focus on making a good movie, not about all the internet bullshit, either way.  Abrams clearly has a different vision than Johnson did.  The fact the viewer has to get pulled back and forth on that is bad enough, and  really irresponsible planning for a billion dollar operation.

If the focus was making a good film, JJ wouldn't have been invited back.  The intent is onviously to pander to the section of the internet that wants it to be 1977 again...

17 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

If the focus was making a good film, JJ wouldn't have been invited back.  The intent is onviously to pander to the section of the internet that wants it to be 1977 again...

I dunno.  I think the nostalgia-gasm that Abrams is demonstrably skilled at inducing has a bigger market share than just those that were even alive in 1977.  I was born in 1985 and I got a half-chub hearing Palpatine's laugh.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

One-third (ish) of the Death Star survived intact to land on Endor without destroying itself or Endor? Ignoring the fact that the entire Death Star very clearly exploded into a trillion pieces at the end of RotJ?

The entire Death Star was swallowed up in a fireball. We don't see what's left afterwards! And we do see a big blast right over the laser dish just before the final blast that leaves no visible damage. It seems plausible enough to me that moderately sized chunks could have crashed down on Endor's moon. And what we see in the trailer is nothing like a third; it's more like a door being thrown away from an exploding car.

My issue with this trailer ( although i like it on an aesthetic level) is that it centres so heavily on the conflict of Rey. Yet here we are at the third movie and I still have little sense of who she is, or what the conflict inside her is. I don’t dislike her, she produces little reaction inside of me. She’s  a ham sandwich of a character. 

She just seems like an empty vessel still and I’m waiting for the moment where I latch onto her and enjoy her presence or feel anything.

Only the laugh at the end of the trailer caught my interest so far.

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I really hope that if a new order of Force users emerges, it's not going to be called the Skywalkers. Now a cantina band...

Figrin D'an could get the band back together.

If there is one thing less exciting to me than the return of the Emperor, it's Rey being a Skywalker. I really hope they don't go that road.

I'm really hoping there will be something new and exciting in this film. Maybe in a later trailer?

9 hours ago, DMC said:

The fact the viewer has to get pulled back and forth on that is bad enough, and really irresponsible planning for a billion dollar operation.

This is the part I can’t believe.  How are you going to launch what you know to be a trilogy without at least knowing the broad details of what you plan to do from one movie to the next?!!?

I wasn’t thrilled with TLJ, but I could appreciate it was trying to do something different and it just looked so damn pretty.  But then came the interview where they admitted that the story was just written independently from what would come before or after and it crushed any real desire I had to see more.

Looking back on it, Johnson should have never been allowed to touch a main line SW movie.  Hand him the reins to a KotR trilogy and let him deconstruct to his heart’s content, but this was a mistake that (I believe) also had a hugely detrimental effect on Solo.

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

This is the part I can’t believe.  How are you going to launch what you know to be a trilogy without at least knowing the broad details of what you plan to do from one movie to the next?!!?

Looking back on it, Johnson should have never been allowed to touch a main line SW movie.  Hand him the reins to a KotR trilogy and let him deconstruct to his heart’s content, but this was a mistake that (I believe) also had a hugely detrimental effect on Solo.

This, totally this. The people responsible for deciding to make a trilogy without any plan, without any notion of where movies 2 and 3 would be going and would end, should be fired, whichever level of leadership they have at Disney.

This is terribly frustrating, because they've shown they're able to do good SW movies that aren't really tied to the whole Skywalker / main SW characters with Rogue One - but the massive mess of that new trilogy is really not the best way to do it..

1 hour ago, mormont said:

If there is one thing less exciting to me than the return of the Emperor, it's Rey being a Skywalker. I really hope they don't go that road.

I'm really hoping there will be something new and exciting in this film. Maybe in a later trailer?

I’m surprised it’s taken them this long to do just that. Everyone important should be of Skywalker stock says nearly every Star Wars conspiracist or lazy business mogul trying to sell Star Wars stuff. I’m still waiting for the reveal Finn is Luke’s long lost son  and that Snoke is Anakin’s son off some alien Courtesan. 

27 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I wasn’t thrilled with TLJ, but I could appreciate it was trying to do something different and it just looked so damn pretty.  But then came the interview where they admitted that the story was just written independently from what would come before or after and it crushed any real desire I had to see more.

I didn’t really see TLJ as trying anything  majorly new in terms of story. Well mostly.  My impression is that it did kinda commit a lot of the Sins of AFA with simply retreading a lot of ground in other Star Wars movies but in an inferior way. I expect they will happen with the return of Palptine. It didn’t work in the books, I don’t think it’ll work here. This new Trilogy has so far been disappointing to me. 

26 minutes ago, Rhom said:

This is exactly how the OT was done.

8 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

From what I gather Lucas initially sought to make a stand alone movie and only decided on a sequel being necessary after the first movie.

Would certainly explain how certain things got retconned................looking at you Darth Vader...................looking at you.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

This is exactly how the OT was done.

As Varys said, they literally had no plan and didn’t know it would be a trilogy.

Now we’re 40 years later.  We’ve got one of if not the most recognizable brands in cinema.  We have virtually limitless resources.  It deserves planning on at least the broad scale.

If Joe Abercrombie can write an entire trilogy before going back and polishing the first book to publication status, then it’s not too much to ask Star Wars to do something similar.

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

We’ve got one of if not the most recognizable brands in cinema.  We have virtually limitless resources.  It deserves planning on at least the broad scale.

Agreed on this. It was a fumble on Disney's part. One's getting the sense that JJ is basically trying to soften away the stuff in TLJ that was most divisive among the kind of fans who the Star Wars Celebration marketing exercise is aimed at, and all because they just didn't have a real plan. It's bizzare, really.

Archived