Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

This idea that RJ wrote TLJ like, isolated on a cave and somehow didn't tell anyone anything about it til it was all filmed is hilarious to me. There's numerous articles where they talk about how RJ would consult with JJ and even one where JJ is quoted as saying the script for TLJ was so good he wished he had stayed on to direct it.

Just now, Durckad said:

Well, seeing as they straight up admitted that there was no plan, I don't really need to speculate on this point...

Except they haven't, and in fact there are sever interviews out right now with people talking about how they have been planning to have Palpatine come back for Episode 9 since they planning stages of 7.

On 4/12/2019 at 8:13 PM, Toth said:

Gotta have to say, the choice of name is both unlikely and unfitting. The only Skywalker still capable of rising is discount Caedus and if he turns good again, it will be the most predictable nonsense ever.

Also Palpatine is back? The hell? I'm sure this is because everybody loved Dark Empire back in the days...

Luke we want Luke back!

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Physics defying stunts from a magical space ninja? Colour me shocked and outraged

I should clarify my flippant joke. I don't really care at all about SW physics - I think the only thing that got me Grandpa Simpson'ing at the newer movies was Kylo stopping the blaster laser mid-air. I thought initially she was running to try to duck into a pit, but when she jumped I thought "Wait so why not just run at it? Eh, I bet it'll look cool." At th

Also, the results are in, Abrams still really likes lens flare. 

19 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I should clarify my flippant joke. I don't really care at all about SW physics - I think the only thing that got me Grandpa Simpson'ing at the newer movies was Kylo stopping the blaster laser mid-air. I thought initially she was running to try to duck into a pit, but when she jumped I thought "Wait so why not just run at it? Eh, I bet it'll look cool." At th

Also, the results are in, Abrams still really likes lens flare. 

Yeah, wasn't there a total of 3 lens flares in TFA?

Edit: the internet is telling me 7

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

Except they haven't, and in fact there are sever interviews out right now with people talking about how they have been planning to have Palpatine come back for Episode 9 since they planning stages of 7.

Okay. Not really talking about Palpatine, but okay.

https://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-rian-johnson-ram-bergman-interview-spoilers-deleted-scenes-lucasfilm-plans-1202227741/

So what are the train tracks when you set out to write? Presumably, you can’t kill off half the cast, or have them all form a jazz ensemble and leave this life of adventuring behind.

RJ: Maybe not the jazz thing [laughs]. But you can kill off whoever you want. I don’t know. I’ll give the caveat that I was coming into it wanting to make something that felt like Star Wars. It’s not like I was approaching it like, “Hey, wouldn’t it be funny if we painted the Millennium Falcon purple?” That having been said, we do go places in this movie that felt like we were taking some risks. We were following the characters in the way that seemed natural to me, but it led us to some surprising places.

Again, there was never a feeling of us being policed back into a lane. If anything, the danger was in me self-policing out of fear of, Am I allowed to do this? When I would check in with the story group at Lucasfilm, really what I found is that they would be the ones encouraging me to go for it. They would say, “Oh that’s really weird; oh my god, you have to try that.” If anything, they were protecting me against self-editing or holding back out of fear.

Is there an overarching plot for where the trilogy goes? You obviously have The Force Awakens as a jumping off point, but is there a place you need to get to, in order to set up J.J. Abrams’ Episode IX?

RJ: Not really. That’s what’s been really cool about the storytelling process. There is definitely the idea that we know it is a three-movie arc. We know the first film is an introduction, then the middle act is training, meaning challenging the characters. The third is where they all come together and you have to resolve everything.

But I was truly able to write this script without bases to tag, and without a big outline on the wall. That meant I could react to what I felt from The Force Awakens, and what I wanted to see. I could make this movie personal. I could also just take these characters where it felt right and most interesting to take them. I think part of the reason the movie feels like it goes to some unexpected places with the characters is that we had that freedom. If it had all just been planned out and written down beforehand, it might have felt a little more calculated, I suppose.

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/05/29/lucasfilm-no-plans-for-episodes-viii-ix-after-the-force-awakens/

@Bogwing I’m sure they talked about where it might go early on, but when they came to me there was no mapped story presented beyond TFA.

— Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) May 29, 2017

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

So basically they're just cribbing shit from the EU. As long as Thrawn shows up at some point, I'm not sure I care.

Reporting back: the Star Wars Celebration Con was dork-tastic today.  Definitely worth a visit, although I’d say not actually worth the inflated ticket price we paid at the last minute.

We spent a couple of hours on the main floor, where my wife was like a star struck fangirl looking at all the costumes (she’s the uber fan in our family).  Great energy and fun all around, and we just avoided all long queues.  After a quick late lunch we went upstairs to attend a couple of panels.

The Mandalorian Mercs were unintentionally funny in their panel.  They look like and act like a motorcycle club — think Sons Of Anarchy, including custom leather vests — but they’re grown-ups who spend all their free time making SF costumes out of plastic and fabric.  They seem like good people — committed hobbyists with their own little community deep in the dork forest (should sound familiar to all of us here) — but the macho posture was an odd dissonance.

The presentation by Doug Chiang on his creative process for artistic design was excellent.  I wish I could have his talent and his job.

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

...does anyone in here besides me and @HelenaExMachina actually even like Star Wars?

I do, tbh I've yet to watch a star wars movie I didn't enjoy. Yes I like the prequels, flawed as fuck as they may be. Admittedly I haven't seen the most recent few, but I think TFA was a really good movie.

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

...does anyone in here besides me and @HelenaExMachina actually even like Star Wars?

I do to, i think people take it far to seriously, they are fun movies, they dont have to be masterpieces. Though, some of the criticism i get.

But people are to invested in the product. I guess at least they acomplish that. Disney must be very happy with the level of fanatism people have over star wars.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Nothing you posted contradicts anything I said.

Well, you didn't really contradict what I said so.... neener, neener, neener!

58 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No, Star Wars is only for cucks and soy boys. /s

Nah, they're okay. They're fun movies to watch once, maybe twice but that's about it for me.

Archived