Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

This is probably not the time to mention I’ve been a Zimmer is an overrated hack who can’t compose shit guy since the 90s then? :p

I wouldn't say he's quite that bad, but he's certainly become very predictable and likes to either repeat his own work or borrow from others a lot more. Going from Johann Johannsson to Zimmer was certainly a massive downgrade for Blade Runner 2049, although perhaps more understandable due to Johannsson passing away shortly afterwards (and then Zimmer phoning in a weird Johannsson tribute act). Zimmer's certainly not shit, but he's become very complacent.

Looking at his filmography, I'm shocked that his last inarguable all-out classic soundtrack was probably Gladiator.

15 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I wouldn't say he's quite that bad, but he's certainly become very predictable and likes to either repeat his own work or borrow from others a lot more. Going from Johann Johannsson to Zimmer was certainly a massive downgrade for Blade Runner 2049, although perhaps more understandable due to Johannsson passing away shortly afterwards (and then Zimmer phoning in a weird Johannsson tribute act). Zimmer's certainly not shit, but he's become very complacent.

Looking at his filmography, I'm shocked that his last inarguable all-out classic soundtrack was probably Gladiator.

Gladiator was also mostly stolen, though he worked in the stolen bits nicely.

I actually thought BR2049 was decent for Zimmer. Not just DUN DUN DUN DUN pirates theme DUN DUN DUN.

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

That's coz the score on that scene is some of the best music that's ever been created for television (Light of the Seven that particular track is called).

Don't you be knocking No Time For Caution.

Djawadi in general is just fantastic, i have the GoT and Westworld soundtracks in a playlist and listen to it most days. Never grow tired of it.

i agree with others that R1 has a nice score but its not distinctive or memorable. 

7 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

A lot of the GoT music is nice, but the fact that they let a 12-year old boy be the show-runner distracts a lot and most of the time they're just playing music to pointless boob scenes.

Hans Zimmer has his bad moments, but I loved the Interstellar soundtrack.

Interstellar is one of his better ones, but it;s somewhat soured by how much i HATE the film. :P

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

Nah, perfect deaths for Bodhi and Baze. More so Bodhi.

I'm ready to discover all new characters in the Star Wars universe.

That's what the mandalorian and, by all accounts, what the Rian Johnson and weiss and benioff films have to do by the nature of being "new" and "unconnected".  2+ rogue one characters in a show doesn't make it impossible to have new characters. Take Clone wars and rebels. Both built on pre-existing characters allowing us to discover a range of new characters. 

It's not like we've had more than a film's exposure of the Rogue one characters either. Star wars is a rich universe but do we really want all their films/tv shows to be hit and run?

My main gripe with the Rogue one show is that it's a prequel which i generally find to be very limiting in terms of storytelling. We know what will happen to the characters, the empire and the rebels. KOTOR wouldn't be a prequel in my mind in the sense it is far removed in time from any current star wars. If the mandalorian is on the fringes of the empire negating when it occurs.

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Light of the Seven is one of the most amazing works in recent history, and is the primary reason that Djawadi started going on the GoT tour. It is the closing song of the show for a reason - it's absolutely incredible, and paired perfectly with that moment. 

I have listened to it A LOT in the past ~48-60 hours, but I'm still not sure what the chorus is saying.  Could look it up but I like it like that.  I imagine they're working their way up to saying "palabra."  And in the meantime they're saying, like, "mayabra,""sayabra."

54 minutes ago, red snow said:

That's what the mandalorian and, by all accounts, what the Rian Johnson and weiss and benioff films have to do by the nature of being "new" and "unconnected".  2+ rogue one characters in a show doesn't make it impossible to have new characters. Take Clone wars and rebels. Both built on pre-existing characters allowing us to discover a range of new characters. 

It's not like we've had more than a film's exposure of the Rogue one characters either. Star wars is a rich universe but do we really want all their films/tv shows to be hit and run?

My main gripe with the Rogue one show is that it's a prequel which i generally find to be very limiting in terms of storytelling. We know what will happen to the characters, the empire and the rebels. KOTOR wouldn't be a prequel in my mind in the sense it is far removed in time from any current star wars. If the mandalorian is on the fringes of the empire negating when it occurs.

That why I'm excited for The Mandalorian, it's new. I prefer the shows to not be peopled with characters we already know. I'm fine with the occasional cameo, but let's explore new characters. Not saying I wouldn't eat up anything Star Wars, I would just like something truly original. Experiment a little.

On the subject of music, I would love to get something from Bear McReary for Star Wars. His intro to Black Sails had me watching the opening credits for each episode.

I think, much like Williams and Star Wars, Djawadi will be so legendary partially because his music is so absurdly iconic that a whole generation will hear it and know EXACTLY what it came from and where. 

A hot take is that Star Wars without Williams never becomes the hit that it was. I don't know that Williams has reached that with anything else - his scores for other movies are easily recognizable but not as iconic - but for Star Wars, it is special - to the point that a video game with the score becomes immediately better just from it alone. 

8 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I think, much like Williams and Star Wars, Djawadi will be so legendary partially because his music is so absurdly iconic that a whole generation will hear it and know EXACTLY what it came from and where. 

A hot take is that Star Wars without Williams never becomes the hit that it was. I don't know that Williams has reached that with anything else - his scores for other movies are easily recognizable but not as iconic - but for Star Wars, it is special - to the point that a video game with the score becomes immediately better just from it alone. 

Jaws is pretty iconic. 

Just now, Nictarion said:

Jaws is pretty iconic. 

It is - to the point that most people know the theme and haven't seen the movie. So is Jurassic Park, and Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter (especially that last one) - for the one major theme.

But Star Wars? You have the opening crawl theme, Luke's theme, Imperial March, Duel of the Fates, Leia's theme, Yoda's theme,  hell, even the Ewok theme is pretty recognizable. And that's not taking into account some of the other little flourishes, like the Trap music or the Cantina band or...

yeah. 

39 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I dunno.  Djawadi is great, yeah, but there's a lot of guys with huge CVs right behind Williams.  Not sure how to evaluate that, because it's not something I've ever put much thought into.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

I dunno.  Djawadi is great, yeah, but there's a lot of guys with huge CVs right behind Williams.  Not sure how to evaluate that, because it's not something I've ever put much thought into.

There might be others that have good resumes, but there's not a lot of other music out there that's instantly so recognizable as the GOT theme song. LotR might have been, but probably not any more. It's hard to say given how GoT has taken over so much other popular culture right now if it'll still be so lasting, but it's certainly up there. 

55 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

but there's not a lot of other music out there that's instantly so recognizable as the GOT theme song. LotR might have been, but probably not any more. It's hard to say given how GoT has taken over so much other popular culture right now if it'll still be so lasting, but it's certainly up there. 

Meh, this seems very subjective.  Star Wars is inarguably iconic but GoT?  Nah, you could put Zimmer or Elfman right there with Djawadi and that at least be reasonable.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

There might be others that have good resumes, but there's not a lot of other music out there that's instantly so recognizable as the GOT theme song. LotR might have been, but probably not any more. It's hard to say given how GoT has taken over so much other popular culture right now if it'll still be so lasting, but it's certainly up there. 

It took a while for the GOT music to grow on me to be honest so I wouldn't say it's as instantly impressive as star wars. I think the music grew with the show. The music leading up to the destruction of the sept was excellent on first listen though. LOTR is a good point/comparison - will GOT theme be remembered if no one i watching the show in 5 years time? 

Plus, South Park managed to ruin GOT theme for me in an irreversible way.

6 hours ago, Astromech said:

That why I'm excited for The Mandalorian, it's new. I prefer the shows to not be peopled with characters we already know. I'm fine with the occasional cameo, but let's explore new characters. Not saying I wouldn't eat up anything Star Wars, I would just like something truly original. Experiment a little.

I'm with you on having no issue with originality. Certainly never understood why people create shows where they give themselves such a narrow window to play within. Unless the rogue one show is only a mini series event (which seems to be the case with the marvel shows) just how many seasons can you get out of a concept that has to end with a suicide mission?

I guess star wars are currently stuck finding a balance with Disney concluding Solo style films are a bad idea and being wary of the response to "last jedi" which did try new things. 

Archived