Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

18 hours ago, Astromech said:

Nah, perfect deaths for Bodhi and Baze. More so Bodhi.

Less so Baze.

And Bodhi would have had to live in order to get Baze off planet, which is why he gets a pass. Then those two could've been the ones to watch sadly as the Death Star blows up the base, instead of NotAckbar.

Sadly, I don't live in the version of Earth where the movie ended my way.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I’d say Morricone’s score for TGtBatU is still right up there. And that’s 50+ years old at this point. 

If we're talking older films, then Elmer Bernstein for the Great Escape and Magnificent Seven themes

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

I’ll through out Back to the Future for memorable themes that have stood the test of time.

Not for me. It's good, but it really doesn't stick in my mind the way something like Indiana Jones does, even though I like BTTF a lot more and have seen it more times - I don't think I've seen a Jones film in more than two decades.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Plus, South Park managed to ruin GOT theme for me in an irreversible way.

As a way-too-old fan of South Park, I'm very curious how that happened?  Their "trilogy" criticizing Martin was..not very biting.  I can't think of anything else they've directly done towards GoT.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

I’ll through out Back to the Future for memorable themes that have stood the test of time.

Really?  The movies that literally start with Huey Lewis, the News, and "It's Hip to be Square?"  [ETA:  Sorry, was way off there.  It wasn't Hip to be Square at the beginning, it was Power of Love.  Huge difference, I know.]  That's memorable, yes, but there is a negative there, and you just identified it.

21 minutes ago, DMC said:

As a way-too-old fan of South Park, I'm very curious how that happened?  Their "trilogy" criticizing Martin was..not very biting.  I can't think of anything else they've directly done towards GoT.

At a guess.

"Floppy Wiener, Floppy Wiener, Floppy Wiener" That set to the GOT theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U7NpSubAJQ

I think that'd be it.

Did I get it @red snow?

[mod] can we take the comparison of scores to a comparison of scores thread? The last two pages of this Star Wars thread have barely discussed Star Wars. Thanks. [/mod]

30 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

At a guess.

"Floppy Wiener, Floppy Wiener, Floppy Wiener" That set to the GOT theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U7NpSubAJQ

I think that'd be it.

Did I get it @red snow?

Yeah, very hard not to get those lyrics out of my head whenever i hear the themetune now.

In an attempt to bring things back to star wars it seems they have a composer who's worked on all of ryan coogler's films although i have trouble distinguishing score vs soundtrack in his films because they all intertwine. I think guven the setting of the mandalorian it makes a lot idlf sense to use someone different as the score can really help distinguish the show from being different.

I hope they keep the same style for clone wars though

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Less so Baze.

And Bodhi would have had to live in order to get Baze off planet, which is why he gets a pass. Then those two could've been the ones to watch sadly as the Death Star blows up the base, instead of NotAckbar.

Sadly, I don't live in the version of Earth where the movie ended my way.

Chirrut and K2SO had the best deaths imo.

LOL, NotAckbar.

Mandalorian is set post ROTJ, right?  Hmmmm...I'm torn on it. Not for the subject matter, because post Jedi, what do you have to help tell stories when you don't have actual Jedi?  Get some more of Boba Fett's peeps! (If he shows up on this new show though, it's game over...)

Is anyone watching that newer cartoon on Disney XD?  Resistance?  Can't remember because it wasn't compelling, which might be an inidictment of newer characters...or simply it's that the story framework of the new trilogy, essentially repeating what the first trilogy did, doesn't make for compelling stories when there are no Jedi...

(Rambling attempts to stay on target...with the thread...)

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Mandalorian is set post ROTJ, right?  Hmmmm...I'm torn on it. Not for the subject matter, because post Jedi, what do you have to help tell stories when you don't have actual Jedi?  Get some more of Boba Fett's peeps! (If he shows up on this new show though, it's game over...)

Is anyone watching that newer cartoon on Disney XD?  Resistance?  Can't remember because it wasn't compelling, which might be an inidictment of newer characters...or simply it's that the story framework of the new trilogy, essentially repeating what the first trilogy did, doesn't make for compelling stories when there are no Jedi...

(Rambling attempts to stay on target...with the thread...)

Tosa??!!!!

Yes, between Episodes 6 and 7. I'm excited for another non-jedi Star Wars entry.

23 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Light of the Seven is one of the most amazing works in recent history, and is the primary reason that Djawadi started going on the GoT tour. It is the closing song of the show for a reason - it's absolutely incredible, and paired perfectly with that moment. 

Light of the Seven is amazing!, it's my favoruite piece of music that Djawadi has done, closely followed by his interpretation of Exit Music for a Film from Westworld.

when it comes to SW, of course The Imperial March is my favourite B).

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

Tosa??!!!!

Yes, between Episodes 6 and 7. I'm excited for another non-jedi Star Wars entry.

Yes. Tosa. And...?

And I think my complaint? concern? betwwen 6 and 7 isn't that there is new stuff, it's that the sometimes feels like something is lacking without that jedi "framework"... you can tell good stories without them, but their presence in the background just does something to the general environment of the story universe. At least for me.  I realize Luke is supposed to be training some, but it's something that isn't even given a thought beyond Kylo Ren turning on him and destroying the school... it feels...off...

Again. Rambling. 

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The problem is definitely the characters; Kaz would be the comic relief in any other show, so his comic relief sidekick is verging on Jar Jar level irritating. And it seems aimed at a younger audience than Rebels or Clone Wars. The other supporting characters are more interesting, but don't get all that much screentime. The plot of the season as a whole is decent enough,

Spoiler

and ties in well with Force Awakens; it actually provides some reason to care when not-Coruscant gets destroyed. Though if I'd been running the show, I'd have kept that for the last episode - they escape and head to the Senate to tell them what the First Order is up to, but just before they get there, boom! They get to see it up close and personal, instead of just via hologram. But that might have been too much of a downer to end the season on.

7 minutes ago, felice said:

The problem is definitely the characters; Kaz would be the comic relief in any other show, so his comic relief sidekick is verging on Jar Jar level irritating. And it seems aimed at a younger audience than Rebels or Clone Wars. The other supporting characters are more interesting, but don't get all that much screentime. The plot of the season as a whole is decent enough,

Hide contents

and ties in well with Force Awakens; it actually provides some reason to care when not-Coruscant gets destroyed. Though if I'd been running the show, I'd have kept that for the last episode - they escape and head to the Senate to tell them what the First Order is up to, but just before they get there, boom! They get to see it up close and personal, instead of just via hologram. But that might have been too much of a downer to end the season on.

It's set that close to TFA? I didn't realize. I thought it had more lead time into it to help explain away the mess of a story JJ concocted for Episode VII...

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It's set that close to TFA? I didn't realize. I thought it had more lead time into it to help explain away the mess of a story JJ concocted for Episode VII...

Yes, next season will presumably take place between Last Jedi and Skywalker (it could hardly take place between TFA and Jedi, or even in parallel with Jedi!). And no, it doesn't help explain anything in TFA.

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yes. Tosa. And...?

And I think my complaint? concern? betwwen 6 and 7 isn't that there is new stuff, it's that the sometimes feels like something is lacking without that jedi "framework"... you can tell good stories without them, but their presence in the background just does something to the general environment of the story universe. At least for me.  I realize Luke is supposed to be training some, but it's something that isn't even given a thought beyond Kylo Ren turning on him and destroying the school... it feels...off...

Again. Rambling. 

We're in the same system.

This is why Chirrut and Baze as Guardians of the Whills worked so well. I don't need the Jedi to be present in the stories, but acknowledgement of the existence of the Jedi and the Force and their importance is crucial to the Star Wars Universe.

So here's a theory about ep 9 that addresses:

- how Rey's parents can still be no-one and yet her origins can be a key plot point

- why Rey is so strong in the Force

- why and how the Emperor is coming back

and actually ties it all together.

https://onezero.medium.com/a-highly-scientific-theory-about-reys-origins-in-rise-of-skywalker-4645729933ef

I'm still not enthused about either the return of the Emperor or Rey's mystery origin, but if this was the answer, or something like it... I could live with it. It would work.

8 minutes ago, mormont said:

- how Rey's parents can still be no-one and yet her origins can be a key plot point

https://onezero.medium.com/a-highly-scientific-theory-about-reys-origins-in-rise-of-skywalker-4645729933ef

I'm still not enthused about either the return of the Emperor or Rey's mystery origin, but if this was the answer, or something like it... I could live with it. It would work.

I like it. And we can have a skywalker fest with several generations of skywalkers having a huge fight… 

7 minutes ago, mormont said:

So Rey was cloned from Luke's hand, or from some of the body parts Anakin lost in the prequel trilogy.   Someone found Luke's light saber, so they probably found his hand as well. 

Archived