Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

The Abyss flopped at the BO and was kind of panned by critics.

On release, yes, but it's much better-regarded now, especially with the Director's Cut (which restores the original, much better ending).

Also, it made $90 million on a budget of $45 million back when marketing spends were nothing like they are now, so it made a modest profit on release.

piranha 2 likely made the list of worst movies ever made.

Cameron was brought in two weeks into filming after the original director was fired, couldn't communicate with the crew (who were Italian) and got into massive arguments with the film's producer who took over final cut and locked Cameron out of the editing suite, so it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a proper Cameron film. Although even with that one he still put together his own director's cut years later (when he became a bigger name), and it's supposed to be a relative improvement.

That's not what it says, to be fair? It just says they're planning the stuff together.

Yeah, it just says they're comparing notes and that the "next decade" of Star Wars movies is going to have some stuff in common which they're working on, not that there's a three-way collaboration going on.

On 5/9/2019 at 4:32 PM, Relic said:

you're all welcome

Technically, hugely impressive. But the direction is too fast and dynamic, there's no effort to integrate it with the much more gentle, standard camera movements from the film itself, so the new material stands out hugely.

20 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:55 PM, polishgenius said:

That's not what it says, to be fair? It just says they're planning the stuff together.

I think you just described one of my nightmares.

D&D&RJ working together on SW... for the love of god...

1 minute ago, divica said:

I think you just described one of my nightmares.

D&D&RJ working together on SW... for the love of god... 

Well I think RJ's skills can mitigate some of D&D's issues hopefully. And if this is a project they actually want to be on they might bring the dialogue from the early seasons and not the bullshit we've gotten recently.

42 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That was pretty much my reaction to the announcement.  I haven't even watched this last season of GOT but everything about it sounds pretty bad.  They seem to be at their best when they have good source material to work with but when left to their own devices, not so much.

2 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Well the SWs movie slated for 2022 will be from Benioff and Weiss.

And my interest in Star Wars continues to dissipate...

7 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

That was pretty much my reaction to the announcement.  I haven't even watched this last season of GOT but everything about it sounds pretty bad.  They seem to be at their best when they have good source material to work with but when left to their own devices, not so much.

Maybe they'll be adapting popular games or expanded universe comics/books?

Brightside is they have some great actors to pick from GOT to get involved particularly the older cast members.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, they could have timed that announcement better.

I can see how in paper it might have seemed a great time to announce. Then again, i get the impression rian Johnson's films are still the more controversial? Or can both sides of the last jedi argument unite over w&b?

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Brightside is they have some great actors to pick from GOT to get involved particularly the older cast members.

I think Peter Dinklage would be most excellent in the SWs universe.

3 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I think Peter Dinklage would be most excellent in the SWs universe.

And they probably wouldn't stick him in a metal box or furry suit now.

Lena Headey,  ian glen, Cunningham and conleth hill (based on their other diverse roles) could be plugged into star wars with ease too. They just need to avoid bring unimaginative and typecasting them. That said Iwan Rheon would make a classic scene-chewing sith.

15 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, they could have timed that announcement better.

Honestly given Kennedy's track record of shit canning directors I wouldn't be surprised if the last few weeks have them reconsidering if the last episode of GoT doesn't have a better response.

Archived