Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Honestly given Kennedy's track record of shit canning directors I wouldn't be surprised if the last few weeks have them reconsidering if the last episode of GoT doesn't have a better response.

I would be surprised if she reconsiders this fast, and just because of the GoT criticism. At the very least, she'll wait for their script.

11 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I would be surprised if she reconsiders this fast, and just because of the GoT criticism. At the very least, she'll wait for their script.

If she hasn’t reconsidered it before when GoT was REALLY bad (seasons 5 -7)then she probably won’t now. Just because some Dany fan boys and girls had their nose put out of shape shouldn’t change her view 

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

If she hasn’t reconsidered it before when GoT was REALLY bad (seasons 5 -7)then she probably won’t now. Just because some Dany fan boys and girls had their nose put out of shape shouldn’t change her view 

There's more to the criticism than that. The Night King plot, for example, but yeah, she won't reconsider.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

Honestly given Kennedy's track record of shit canning directors I wouldn't be surprised if the last few weeks have them reconsidering if the last episode of GoT doesn't have a better response.

The massive ratings success will be the primary thing they are looking at. They'll be dismissing the complaints as another fanboy tantrum (which to be fair there is a lot, amongst more measured criticism), for good and ill.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Just because some Dany fan boys and girls had their nose put out of shape shouldn’t change her view 

Worst. Take. Ever. 

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

The massive ratings success will be the primary thing they are looking at. They'll be dismissing the complaints as another fanboy tantrum (which to be fair there is a lot, amongst more measured criticism), for good and ill.

Maybe it's just the circles I'm in but the last episode was pretty universally panned by all my circles. If the dominant impression is negative and the narrative stays that way leading to the general view being it failed the landing then I think that overrides the ratings. If it's just my echo chamber then that obviously won't apply.

I wouldn't expect an immediate response regardless, my point was just that she's more willing than the norm to change direction.

20 hours ago, Astromech said:

Oh no, there goes my childhood!!!!!!!

And my young adulthood! And my middle age!

Looking forward to having my retirement years spoiled by Star Wars too!

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Maybe it's just the circles I'm in but the last episode was pretty universally panned by all my circles. If the dominant impression is negative and the narrative stays that way leading to the general view being it failed the landing then I think that overrides the ratings. If it's just my echo chamber then that obviously won't apply.

I wouldn't expect an immediate response regardless, my point was just that she's more willing than the norm to change direction.

I'm not sure about that. Both Lost and BSG seem by near-consensus to have very poor endings, but both Damon Lindelof and Ronald D. Moore have still gotten gainful employment in other venues, and the long-term popularity of both shows, although dimmed by the endings, doesn't seem to have suffered too badly (Lost rather more than BSG, despite BSG's ending being far more of a shitstorm).

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I'm not sure about that. Both Lost and BSG seem by near-consensus to have very poor endings, but both Damon Lindelof and Ronald D. Moore have still gotten gainful employment in other venues, and the long-term popularity of both shows, although dimmed by the endings, doesn't seem to have suffered too badly (Lost rather more than BSG, despite BSG's ending being far more of a shitstorm).

People seem to forget these creators are still learning as well. Look at lindelof who i held to be just as responsible for the ending of lost as JJ Abrams. Swore never to touch his work again until the overwhelming consensus was that not only was "the leftovers" excellent but it had stuck the landing too. I wound up thoroughly enjoying it.

I don't much like "outlander" but it's a well crafted show and has quite a following. 

Point is it doesn't always mean they'll make Terrible shows it just means they have to try and win people back over. Edit: Unless you are scott buck and then the evidence suggests you get worse and worse

For me, the last 2 seasons have suggested they'd work fine in the star wars universe. Because the quality of the star films isn't exactly unblemished. I also think big set pieces, fast pace and some shocks will fit star wars quite well. The problem with GOT is that it's completely different in tone and pacing to how it started out. That doesn't have to be the case with their star wars films. For one they probably won't be setting up a very complicated story with hundreds of active characters without any real idea of how to conclude it.

But maybe my opinion will change drastically when it turns out everything that has happened has been a dream Bran had while plunging to his death at the end of episode 1 or that westeros was actually earth from 100,000 years in the past/future or it's a theme park from Westworld.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

But maybe my opinion will change drastically when it turns out everything that has happened has been a dream Bran had while plunging to his death at the end of episode 1 or that westeros was actually earth from 100,000 years in the past/future or it's a theme park from Westworld.

Dolores, Breaker of Chains, Mother of Dragons

50 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Have George write the starwars movies for the game of thrones guys to adapt into a screenplay the same as seasons 1- 6.  Solved.

It looks like this next star wars will feature a desert setting!   Once the sand gets in your bikini area the lightsaber is useless in the battle against chafing.

I think you mean seasons 1-4

Or they use star wars to get "confederate" out of their system. Imagine a galaxy far area where despite knowing droids are sentient they choose to enslave them regardless.

Ya know, the Star Wars universe is perfect for D&D. Stormtrooper armor doesn't work for shit, same as armor in GoT, except when the plot demands that it does. Their aim is terrible, too, except when the plot demands that it's not. And JJ already messed up how long it takes to travel from planet to planet; the size of the galaxy is as big as the plot demands it. The Mandalorians literally have jetpacks. So really, D&D should feel right at home.

37 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Let's just hope they don't include a poor droid being abandoned by their owner when they go off to battle the Evil Empire V3 so that the cgi money can be spent on creating Death Star V4.

:( 

9 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Ya know, the Star Wars universe is perfect for D&D. Stormtrooper armor doesn't work for shit, same as armor in GoT, except when the plot demands that it does. Their aim is terrible, too, except when the plot demands that it's not. And JJ already messed up how long it takes to travel from planet to planet; the size of the galaxy is as big as the plot demands it. So really, D&D should feel right at home.

I fear the inevitable Twi'lexploitation.

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Ya know, the Star Wars universe is perfect for D&D. Stormtrooper armor doesn't work for shit, same as armor in GoT, except when the plot demands that it does. Their aim is terrible, too, except when the plot demands that it's not. And JJ already messed up how long it takes to travel from planet to planet; the size of the galaxy is as big as the plot demands it. The Mandalorians literally have jetpacks. So really, D&D should feel right at home.

Exactly. This is my thing with star wars, i love the concept but if I'm being honest it's pretty silly (and that might be part of the charm). Which is maybe why it's better benioff and weiss are having a go at it than Wes Anderson, Malik or the coen brothers (not that great arguments could be made for directors somewhere in the middle). I think i know how benioff and weiss will approach things and it'll probably embrace a lot of what i like in star wars. Will it produce a classic film or the pinnacle of star wars? Probably not.

The tv shows are where my attention/hopes are focused for higher quality star wars and I'd much rather D&B were doing a film trilogy than a multiple season TV show. 

Archived