Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

Just now, felice said:

Thrawn was always a Grand Admiral before the OT; I don't see a problem with showing some of his pre-Heir career.

If I understand it correctly though

didn't they kill him in the same season? Or have I misread something (that show is one of the many many many on my long backlog)

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Hide contents

didn't they kill him in the same season? Or have I misread something (that show is one of the many many many on my long backlog)

No, that's not exactly how things went down. If you want to watch Rebels, maybe not click the spoiler.

Spoiler

Thrawn was defeated by the main Rebels characters in the series finale, but I believe Dave Filoni confirmed he didn't die. But they had to write an ending for him, so it could be explained why he wasn't in the OT.

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

You don't.

Spoiler

He gets taken off the board, but with the potential to return later (ie he can come back after RotJ to discover the Emperor is dead and everyone else is hopelessly incompetent without his leadership).

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

Surely the Emperor would have been contemptuous of Vader given how things turned out rather than being in awe of him which is how Snoke seemed to be? I'm sure our local Darth Sidious is at least.

The local Lord Sidious has changed their username :P, but their contempt for Vader has never been stronger :D.

1 hour ago, felice said:

* but make it a hyperspace weapon that can take out enemy ships anywhere in the galaxy, rather than yet another planet-destroyer, so it doesn't rely on every single New Republic ship in the galaxy being gathered together in the same place for no good reason.

See, I would've liked them to do something along the lines of the Sun Crusher.

You still end up with a completely wrecked solar system, but without just making bigger deathstar.

Edit: And watching a star blow up would've been cool.

7 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

See, I would've liked them to do something along the lines of the Sun Crusher.

You still end up with a completely wrecked solar system, but without just making bigger deathstar.

Edit: And watching a star blow up would've been cool.

NO. NO KEVIN J ANDERSON IN MY STAR WARS.

BAD KANIGGIT! BAD!

1 hour ago, felice said:

Well, they should have established the New Republic as something worth fighting to protect, anyway. Sticking with the same basic story, I think the first film should have focused on Snoke's efforts to undermine the Republic and turn Ben. End with Rey finding Luke in exile, but just after he gets there, not years later. Then bring in the Starkiller* and the First Order declaring all out war against the New Republic for the second film, and set everything up for Rise of Skywalker.

* but make it a hyperspace weapon that can take out enemy ships anywhere in the galaxy, rather than yet another planet-destroyer, so it doesn't rely on every single New Republic ship in the galaxy being gathered together in the same place for no good reason.

Thrawn was always a Grand Admiral before the OT; I don't see a problem with showing some of his pre-Heir career.

I can agree with this. Maybe since the First Order doesn't have as many sorceress as the Empire did, have them make a device like The Flax on Farscape; an energy web, that no ship can escape from.

See the moment the Republic gets blown up in TFA, I lost all faith in this new trilogy. It made the entire victory in Jedi feel hollow and meaningless. Though it was well on it's way there, when Han was introduced as a smuggler again; this guy was a admiral in the last film, WTF

It almost felt like the entire film was one middle finger to fans of TOS.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

His books that bad? I've never read any.

I came across the Sun Crusher on Wookieepedia and liked the concept.

I read one of Anderson's, during a time when I was into reading SW novels (it was just after I read Heir to the Empire).  What I remember from it was a Luke whose idea of being a Jedi Master was spouting Jedi cliches like "Beware the dark side" with hardly any of the assurance that Kenobi and Yoda had.

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

His books that bad? I've never read any.

I came across the Sun Crusher on Wookieepedia and liked the concept.

I've never read any of his Star Wars books, but if they're even close to as bad as the Dune follow-ups then stay far, far away.

Between the official trailer for Ep. IX and the leaked extended scene for The Mandalorian, I am significantly more excited for The Mandalorian. Super stoked about Werner Herzog being so prominently in it. Carl Weathers looks great too. Hopefully the writing can support the case they've pulled together.

Well, I really liked it. I am amused that they went from "Let the past die, kill it if you have to" to "HERE IS A DEATH STAR AND TATTOOINE AND THE EMPEROR AND LUKE AND NOTHING REALLY DIES". Mostly I chalk that up to Kylo Ren being just wrong wrong wrong. 

right.  he can be a fascistic numbnut who has an ahistoricist attitude, displays a childish demeanor, and lost a duel to a hologram. i marvel that readers credit the in-setting opinions of inept characters.

..does anyone in here besides me and @HelenaExMachina actually even like Star Wars?

a lot of it is nostalgia for me, though also how can the story of a revolution not be politically interesting? if the material issue that revolution has raised, however, continues to be resolved through the immaterialist mechanism of sorcery and religious mysticism, then we will have some difficult interpretations to render, when it concludes. all that said, i got a little misty over the CW trailer.  

Archived