Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

I was reading they intend there to be a 2-3 year gap before we get any more films from star wars. Probably a clever move to build up some anticipation for an "event" but possibly moreso in an attempt to encourage people to subscribe to Disney+ as it seems thats where the regular star wars fix will be in the interim.

There's even suggestion obi wan may find life there as a miniseries. 

I'm intrigued to see how the tv shows fare. I'd hope they'd have more of a plan over a season than the new trilogy has had.

Well 5 days of Star Wars Celebration is over and I have to say, what a positive and uplifting experience.  What really impressed me the most about it was how incredibly diverse the attendees were.  I've been to a fair amount of fan related conventions and typically there is always a demographic or two that dominates.  But this, was unlike anything I have ever seen at most of these conventions.  Babies to grandparents and everything in between.  People of all races.  As many females as males.  And as many people from the Midwest as from other parts of the country and the world.

When standing in line to get into the stadium for the Episode IX panel, there was a couple in their 80s in front of me with their walkers - they were as excited as any small child I saw that weekend and so fun to talk to.  On Saturday I took my friend's 5 and 8 year old daughters to Celebration and I got to experience it on the other end of the age spectrum.  I've got to say I've always been rather indifferent about Ewoks but I got a whole new appreciation for them seeing how much my friend's daughter loved them and seeing how many other children were also dressed as them.  And every day in every line I stood in or every panel I sat in I was surrounded by such a wide range of people all brought together by a mutual love of SWs.

Throughout my life, Star Wars has been a relatively solitary experience.  In the days before the internet, I knew only a few people with whom I was able to share a mutual enjoyment of it.  But even in more recent years with the internet when it came to SWs boards and threads, I've never felt like I fit in and always awkward about participating.  So it was so nice for these 5 days to feel a part of the SWs community and to feel like I belonged in it.

Highlight of the convention - getting to attend the Episode IX panel.  I not the sort of person who is ever going to camp out overnight for something like that no matter how much I'd want to attend - especially with Chicago resembling Hoth this weekend.  But with that lottery and getting a ticket without having to do so and being able to attend, was something I won't forget.  Weirdest part of the weekend - seeing Jason Isaacs there and getting his autograph.  The man has never attended a Harry Potter convention but comes to a SWs one?!?  Oh well, at least I've got my autographed Lucius Malfoy picture!  Low point of Celebration...no Mark Hamill.  Was so incredibly bummed he did not attend.  I mean I understand why he didn't come but the 7 year old in me was so sad.

For those of you on the West Coast, Celebration will be in Anaheim next year.  I highly recommend it!

Thanks for the write-up. My friends that went seem to have had an amazing time as well. If you saw about 15 random Han's all posing for a pic together at some point, my buddy was one of them! Though he didn't have his replica blaster, as he didn't want to take it in his checked baggage, prop or not.

57 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Thanks for the write-up. My friends that went seem to have had an amazing time as well. If you saw about 15 random Han's all posing for a pic together at some point, my buddy was one of them! Though he didn't have his replica blaster, as he didn't want to take it in his checked baggage, prop or not.

I never saw a Han without a Leia so I missed them.  Although I think I saw groups of everything else running about and posing for pictures from a parade of droids to the Running of the Hoods.  I can't believe that TSA allows Harry Potter wands as carry ons but won't allow SWs blasters!  Glad your friends had such a good time.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Wooooo!

I found my Star Wars shot glasses in the moving boxes.

Which one should I use? The Storm Trooper or Lando?

No. You're right. Both is the correct answer.

Psh.  I used to play Star Wars chess.  With each piece a shot glass.  It was fun til I threw up..then it was fun again.  Scope!

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Psh.  I used to play Star Wars chess.  With each piece a shot glass.  It was fun til I threw up..then it was fun again.  Scope!

Shit. I was going to respond by bragging about MY Star Wars chess set. But then I remembered that I don't have one. I was thinking of my Lord of the Rings chess set.

(Thinks of Star Wars things he owns)

Oh yeah. At least I got a Star Wars bucket! :smoking:

17 hours ago, Corvinus said:

:lol:

If you look at the Interceptor, it seems to have taken a lot of damage, which is why I assume it's flying along the ground on repulsorlifts rather than attacking from a high altitude. Presumably its weapons are non-functional as well.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

If you look at the Interceptor, it seems to have taken a lot of damage, which is why I assume it's flying along the ground on repulsorlifts rather than attacking from a high altitude. Presumably its weapons are non-functional as well.

Sure, but that gif was still funny. And I thought it might not even be a full interceptor, maybe a speeder-TIE hybrid. :dunno:

25 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Sure, but that gif was still funny. And I thought it might not even be a full interceptor, maybe a speeder-TIE hybrid. :dunno:

They should bring out a line of toys/Legos called tiebrids

10 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Well 5 days of Star Wars Celebration is over and I have to say, what a positive and uplifting experience.  What really impressed me the most about it was how incredibly diverse the attendees were.  I've been to a fair amount of fan related conventions and typically there is always a demographic or two that dominates.  But this, was unlike anything I have ever seen at most of these conventions.  Babies to grandparents and everything in between.  People of all races.  As many females as males.  And as many people from the Midwest as from other parts of the country and the world.

When standing in line to get into the stadium for the Episode IX panel, there was a couple in their 80s in front of me with their walkers - they were as excited as any small child I saw that weekend and so fun to talk to.  On Saturday I took my friend's 5 and 8 year old daughters to Celebration and I got to experience it on the other end of the age spectrum.  I've got to say I've always been rather indifferent about Ewoks but I got a whole new appreciation for them seeing how much my friend's daughter loved them and seeing how many other children were also dressed as them.  And every day in every line I stood in or every panel I sat in I was surrounded by such a wide range of people all brought together by a mutual love of SWs.

Throughout my life, Star Wars has been a relatively solitary experience.  In the days before the internet, I knew only a few people with whom I was able to share a mutual enjoyment of it.  But even in more recent years with the internet when it came to SWs boards and threads, I've never felt like I fit in and always awkward about participating.  So it was so nice for these 5 days to feel a part of the SWs community and to feel like I belonged in it.

Highlight of the convention - getting to attend the Episode IX panel.  I not the sort of person who is ever going to camp out overnight for something like that no matter how much I'd want to attend - especially with Chicago resembling Hoth this weekend.  But with that lottery and getting a ticket without having to do so and being able to attend, was something I won't forget.  Weirdest part of the weekend - seeing Jason Isaacs there and getting his autograph.  The man has never attended a Harry Potter convention but comes to a SWs one?!?  Oh well, at least I've got my autographed Lucius Malfoy picture!  Low point of Celebration...no Mark Hamill.  Was so incredibly bummed he did not attend.  I mean I understand why he didn't come but the 7 year old in me was so sad.

For those of you on the West Coast, Celebration will be in Anaheim next year.  I highly recommend it!

Thank you for this write up and im glad you had such a wonderful experience

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Am I the only one who actually liked Giacchino's score for Rogue One? Now Solo wasn't anything special, except the one theme Williams composed.

I liked everything about Rogue One . My favorite Disney Star Wars film.

Archived