Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Am I the only one who actually liked Giacchino's score for Rogue One? Now Solo wasn't anything special, except the one theme Williams composed.

It was fine, but if you played me any of the music from it right now I doubt I'd be able to tell you what movie it's from, whereas I can probably tell you what scene music is from with Williams. 

On 4/16/2019 at 2:35 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

Shit. I was going to respond by bragging about MY Star Wars chess set. But then I remembered that I don't have one. I was thinking of my Lord of the Rings chess set.

(Thinks of Star Wars things he owns)

Oh yeah. At least I got a Star Wars bucket! :smoking:

On 4/16/2019 at 2:43 AM, DMC said:

I want to know more about this LOTR chess set.

On 4/16/2019 at 2:50 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

It's a cheap plastic one I got for Christmas like 15 years ago.

Sadly you can't drink out of the figurines.

Real cheap plastic or moderately cheap? My Auntie bought me a snazzy ass set for my graduation that cost like 40 or 50 bucks. It wasn't diamond encrusted or anything, but the pieces had a nice weight to them and an interesting shaded design which kinda covered up that the faces weren't super detailed.

It got stolen by a coke head my roommate was fucking around with in San Antonio :(

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Real cheap plastic or moderately cheap? My Auntie bought me a snazzy ass set for my graduation that cost like 40 or 50 bucks. It wasn't diamond encrusted or anything, but the pieces had a nice weight to them and an interesting shaded design which kinda covered up that the faces weren't super detailed.

It got stolen by a coke head my roommate was fucking around with in San Antonio :(

I found an image. This one. http://madhubrushes.com/wp-content/uploads/the-lord-of-the-rings-chess-set-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-new-lord-of-the-rings-chess-set.jpg

Not sure how much it cost though.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I just wish Bodhi and Baze could've got off planet at the end.

Man, I'm remembering how I felt in the theater. I had managed to avoid all spoilers, and though I obviously Leia told us back in 77 that the mission suffered greatly, I guess part of me thought *someone* was gonna make it out. Jyn is probably my favorite non-Original Trilogy character, and I still am pretending that she and Cassian actually zoomed off to live happily ever in a nice cabin next to a lake. With a doggo. Or maybe a cute droid. Or a cute droid doggo.  I need to re-watch Rogue One again.

12 minutes ago, red snow said:

They need to find a way of working sone of the other characters into it.

They really don't.

I wouldn't mind seeing those characters in some other SW media. But in general, and in SW in particular, I am so bored of finding out that characters who seemingly met for the first time actually turn out to have shared history, even if they didn't realise it for some contrived reason.

13 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Am I the only one who actually liked Giacchino's score for Rogue One? Now Solo wasn't anything special, except the one theme Williams composed.

I liked it just fine.  But like what Kal said, there's nothing there I'd say is memorable.  Avengers is very good at getting me all emotional with, like, three notes.  There's an identifiable theme.  Same thing with Nolan's movies, although it'd be fair to say Zimmer overdoes it (or at least Nolan relies too much on it).  Actually, this is a strength with GoT.  I always wake up with weirdly random songs in my head.  For the past two days now, it's been the score of the Season 6 finale when Cersei blows up the sept.  I don't know why and frankly I want to get it the fuck out of my head.

6 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Huh, looks pretty cool.  Curious who the non-pawns are on the evil side?  Can identify the heroes, but not really sure about that.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

I am so bored of finding out that characters who seemingly met for the first time actually turn out to have shared history, even if they didn't realise it for some contrived reason.

Seconded.  I really liked Rogue One, but probably the least likeable aspect of it is the annoying "Easter Eggs" they put in.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

They really don't.

I wouldn't mind seeing those characters in some other SW media. But in general, and in SW in particular, I am so bored of finding out that characters who seemingly met for the first time actually turn out to have shared history, even if they didn't realise it for some contrived reason.

I guess it's possible to follow other characters in the same show without them crossing over. Eg Dany and Jon Snow only met in season 7. But I agree it would be disengenious for characters to knowingly meet and then act like strangers in the film. They should get the better call saul team to offer some advice on developing "rogue".

4 hours ago, DMC said:

I liked it just fine.  But like what Kal said, there's nothing there I'd say is memorable.  Avengers is very good at getting me all emotional with, like, three notes.  There's an identifiable theme.  Same thing with Nolan's movies, although it'd be fair to say Zimmer overdoes it (or at least Nolan relies too much on it).  Actually, this is a strength with GoT.  I always wake up with weirdly random songs in my head.  For the past two days now, it's been the score of the Season 6 finale when Cersei blows up the sept.  I don't know why and frankly I want to get it the fuck out of my head.

There are a few of Rogue One's themes that I recognize, though it's maybe because I've listened enough to it. Jyn Erso's dramatic theme is the stand out, but I like the modified Imperial theme, the Guardians of the Whills. the Rogue One theme, and the more action heavy ones like Confrontation of Eadu.

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I just wish Bodhi and Baze could've got off planet at the end.

Nah, perfect deaths for Bodhi and Baze. More so Bodhi.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I think the tv show focusing on Diego luna and k2s0 is going to have quite a bit of demand. They need to find a way of working sone of the other characters into it.

I'm ready to discover all new characters in the Star Wars universe.

Here's hoping The Mandalorian paints a good picture of at least the Outer Rim part of the galaxy after Endor. I don't expect a showcasing of large scale politics, but going by the trailer and episode 1 clip they showed at the panel, at least we'll see some Imperial elements trying to still retain power in their corner of the galaxy. And is Pedro Pascal really going to act with a helmet on most of the time? That would be a change.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

For the past two days now, it's been the score of the Season 6 finale when Cersei blows up the sept.  I don't know why and frankly I want to get it the fuck out of my head.

That's coz the score on that scene is some of the best music that's ever been created for television (Light of the Seven that particular track is called).

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Nolan’s movies dont have themes. They have noise.

Don't you be knocking No Time For Caution.

14 hours ago, DMC said:

For the past two days now, it's been the score of the Season 6 finale when Cersei blows up the sept.  I don't know why and frankly I want to get it the fuck out of my head.

Light of the Seven is one of the most amazing works in recent history, and is the primary reason that Djawadi started going on the GoT tour. It is the closing song of the show for a reason - it's absolutely incredible, and paired perfectly with that moment. 

Archived