Star Wars Thread: Don't Get Cocky

DMC

28 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I mean, I just think that if you’re one if those people that hate everything Star Wars related post 1980, maybe you’re not as big a fan as you think. 

I'm honestly really, really not that big of a Star Wars fan at all. I just like some of the movies.

On 4/12/2019 at 8:00 PM, Myrddin said:

Apparently Lando's wardrobe is so fly it's still in fashion 45 years later 

I think he only has that single set of clothes. Remember he had to steal Han's clothes in Episode 5 after fleeing Bespin. Maybe he spent the last 30 odd years somewhere in its cargo hold without anyone noticing.

Yes!!!!!, he’s  back :commie:, finally I can root for someone again, all hail the Dark Lord of the Sith , destroy Kylo and make Rey your new apprentice(ok I know the last bit isn’t likely :()

Also did anyone else notice when Rey ignites her repaired lightsaber it had the more aggressive ignition sound that the dark side/red sabers usually have as opposed to the normal Jedi one.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

...does anyone in here besides me and @HelenaExMachina actually even like Star Wars?

Im not even what you would call an uber fan. Sure i grew up watching the OT because my mam liked them, and the prequels came out as i was growing up. But ive never followed the EU and stuff. For me though, The Force Awakens really ignited my love for the series with its vibrant cast of characters, use of nostalgia and interesting story. Was it similar to the OT? Yes. Was the OT especially original in any case? No. But TFA did a good job retelling that story and adding some extra stuff.

TLJ i also loved

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Reporting back: the Star Wars Celebration Con was dork-tastic today.  Definitely worth a visit, although I’d say not actually worth the inflated ticket price we paid at the last minute.

We spent a couple of hours on the main floor, where my wife was like a star struck fangirl looking at all the costumes (she’s the uber fan in our family).  Great energy and fun all around, and we just avoided all long queues.  After a quick late lunch we went upstairs to attend a couple of panels.

The Mandalorian Mercs were unintentionally funny in their panel.  They look like and act like a motorcycle club — think Sons Of Anarchy, including custom leather vests — but they’re grown-ups who spend all their free time making SF costumes out of plastic and fabric.  They seem like good people — committed hobbyists with their own little community deep in the dork forest (should sound familiar to all of us here) — but the macho posture was an odd dissonance.

The presentation by Doug Chiang on his creative process for artistic design was excellent.  I wish I could have his talent and his job.

This sounds lovely, i am glad you enjoyed it! Im hoping that one day i will have the time mo ey and luck align to attend 

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Yes.

Now there are two of them!

5 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Liking something unconditionally doesn't mean you're the only one who really gets it.

It just means you like it dumber.

Who said love unconditionally? But since the trailer came out weve had about 10 posts of actual discussion before people started to just shit on the franchise and rehash all the boring conversations we’ve had 100 times over about expecting realism from a space fantasy series, that disney sucks, that theres no plan, blah blah blah. It would be nice to find a space where the actual trailer was being discussed but whatever, carry on

3 hours ago, Durckad said:

I'm honestly really, really not that big of a Star Wars fan at all. I just like some of the movies.

See above, this is about my position

4 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Yes!!!!!, he’s  back :commie:, finally I can root for someone again, all hail the Dark Lord of the Sith , destroy Kylo and make Rey your new apprentice(ok I know the last bit isn’t likely :()

Also did anyone else notice when Rey ignites her repaired lightsaber it had the more aggressive ignition sound that the dark side/red sabers usually have as opposed to the normal Jedi one.

I knew you would be happy!

i’ve seen some comments that lightsaber Rey is using looks white at times. I dont see it personally but interesting idea. Imo Palps will be back as a force ghost haunting the ruins. Rey will probably go there when she realise the knowledge she has from the jedi is incomplete and she needs a more holistic knowhow

i dont know if anyone mentioned this but there is a confirmed time jump from the end of TLJ. And apparently we will finally get all our heroes on an adventure together (which we actually see in the trailer, the shot has Finn Poe and Chewie behind Rey in front of the ruin).

I really love the look of Rey in all her costumes btw

37 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Im not even what you would call an uber fan. Sure i grew up watching the OT because my mam liked them, and the prequels came out as i was growing up. But ive never followed the EU and stuff. For me though, The Force Awakens really ignited my love for the series with its vibrant cast of characters, use of nostalgia and interesting story. Was it similar to the OT? Yes. Was the OT especially original in any case? No. But TFA did a good job retelling that story and adding some extra stuff.

TLJ i also loved

This sounds lovely, i am glad you enjoyed it! Im hoping that one day i will have the time mo ey and luck align to attend 

Now there are two of them!

Who said love unconditionally? But since the trailer came out weve had about 10 posts of actual discussion before people started to just shit on the franchise and rehash all the boring conversations we’ve had 100 times over about expecting realism from a space fantasy series, that disney sucks, that theres no plan, blah blah blah. It would be nice to find a space where the actual trailer was being discussed but whatever, carry on

See above, this is about my position

I knew you would be happy!

i’ve seen some comments that lightsaber Rey is using looks white at times. I dont see it personally but interesting idea. Imo Palps will be back as a force ghost haunting the ruins. Rey will probably go there when she realise the knowledge she has from the jedi is incomplete and she needs a more holistic knowhow

i dont know if anyone mentioned this but there is a confirmed time jump from the end of TLJ. And apparently we will finally get all our heroes on an adventure together (which we actually see in the trailer, the shot has Finn Poe and Chewie behind Rey in front of the ruin).

I really love the look of Rey in all her costumes btw

I’m extremely happy :D, my favourite character is coming back :commie:, I think you’re probably right that it will be as a force ghost but I’m sort of hoping it will somehow be in corporeal form.

I actually didn’t mind TLJ at all, in fact I think I preferred it to TFA, one of my main gripes has been Kylo, I just really don’t enjoy him as a villain at all, so much so that I want the Jedi to win!, which for me to say is quite a big thing :P.

9 hours ago, Durckad said:

I would certainly hope that when a filmmaker establishes certain questions or mysteries in the first film of a planned trilogy, that they would have some idea of the answers or conclusions to them. Disney, apparently, did not.

Yeah, but again, neither did Lucas. It's more common than you might think.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

...does anyone in here besides me and @HelenaExMachina actually even like Star Wars?

Love it. I'm not a huge uber fan, was never into the EU, disappointed and put off by the prequels. But the new films absolutely rekindled my interest in a big way.

OTOH, I do understand that Star Wars is not science fiction, despite using some of the trappings and tropes. It's future fantasy. It's not really meant to work like science fiction.

As a child of the 80s I was a massive fan of Star Wars, obsessed by it. The re releases rekindled my love. It’s been mostly entirely downhill from that point, pretty everything has been either deeply mediocre or outright bad.

The only Star Wars properties I’ve loved since the OT were the original Clone Wars cartoon ( not the 3D one) and maybe Rogue One. Maybe.

Franchises just don’t often have the ability to sustain that level of quality though I think

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I mean, I just think that if you’re one if those people that hate everything Star Wars related post 1980, maybe you’re not as big a fan as you think. 

Duuuuude...the Zahn books literally gave me orgasms as a kid (MARA JADE SO HAWT j/k not j/k) I saw Revenge of the Sith in the theaters 4 times trying to convince myself it was good. I played the living shit out of KOTOR 1 and 2. I had 3 maxxed out toons on the SW MMPORG. In short, i was a massive SW geek.

Thus far, only Rogue One has done anything for me since the Disney take over. Disney fucking sucks. Aside from their partnership with the Murdoch clan (which makes them fucking EVIL in my opinion), they simply destroyed SW with their saccharine/careless approach to the franchise.  

6 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Now if you’ll all excuse me I have to go make out with my Ewok doll.

I still enjoy the ewoks. Blatant merchandising money grab? Probably. But I still get a kick out of them trashing Imperial troops in ROTJ.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

We probably haven't seen R2 yet because he'll pop in to save the day again.

It's weird, my hate for these new Star Wars films sort of relates to my hate of J.J. Abrams. I honestly view the guy as a director who mostly just copies the ideas that other people came up with before him.

The sad truth is, these new films tried too hard to be TOS and were too scared to be their own thing. Which is why we have the return of The Empire (I mean First Order) and the Rebellion (I mean Resistance). Just because you change a groups name, does not mean you changed the groups function. I mean honestly it must be the most depressing thing in the world to watch episode VI and VII back to back. You have your heroes end one movie so happy and the universe at peace and the next film starting up with the universe as a complete mess again. Logically shouldn't we have gotten at least one movie of relative peace before building up to the next major conflict? The whole thing just screams ANH clone.

I would have personally loved a movie or two with our heroes in power and the First Order being the underdogs. Sort of how Zeon in Gundam gets reduced in power after the One Year War. I like when roles are swapped in stories.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

The sad truth is, these new films tried too hard to be TOS and were too scared to be their own thing. Which is why we have the return of The Empire (I mean First Order) and the Rebellion (I mean Resistance). Just because you change a groups name, does not mean you changed the groups function. I mean honestly it must be the most depressing thing in the world to watch episode VI and VII back to back. You have your heroes end one movie so happy and the universe at peace and the next film starting up with the universe as a complete mess again. Logically shouldn't we have gotten at least one movie of relative peace before building up to the next major conflict? The whole thing just screams ANH clone.

Totally agree. The moment the scrawl started in episode VII i was put off. Resistance? First Order? How did this happen? Why is everything going back to how it was 30 years prior? LAAAAAME. 

So much I have to agree with in these last posts. To this day I haven't seen any of the new Star Wars movies myself, basically just watching this cynical lazy cashgrab play out from afar.

I might add another complaint: This new trilogy's utter contempt for necessary world-building. They didn't just undo everything accomplished in the original trilogy to return to ANH's status quo, they did it and gave us barely any scraps of information how this happened. The original trilogy may have been a classic fantasy journey, but it set up a world that oozed history. The first movie already name-dropped the Republic, the Senate, the Clone Wars, Palpatine's takeover and hinted at a world where Jedi were the peacekeepers of the galaxy. The world introduced had a history that leads up until the point where Luke's journey begun. The prequel trilogy may have had shoddy writing, but at least it had just as much terrific world-building. They took the events mentioned in the original trilogy and built a living and breathing world around them. That's something I reveled in to this day, because such solid world-building allows you to craft every kind of story around it, just as much as the EU gave us the Old Republic, fleshed out every silly looking background character and gave us an awesome and in-depth look on the political landscape after the fall of the Empire (despite some misses among the hits, but that's the usual risk) until it all got moved into the Legends by Disney.

The new trilogy has nothing of this. It hit the reset button and had the balls to ask its viewers to figure out what had happened in the meantime because the writers couldn't be arsed to this day to give us a coherent answer. Every review I have seen makes it looks like the setting is an absolute void where nothing beyond the immediate vicinity of its protagonists is allowed to exist. It's not a living and breathing world, it's just a cardboard background piece that is supposed to cynically evoke as much nostalgia as possible. It takes place in an alternate universe, that's how it looks to me.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Yeah, but again, neither did Lucas. It's more common than you might think.

As mentioned previously, Lucas did have a plan. He changed it fifty times during the making of Hope and then threw it out of the window between Empire and Jedi, but he at least had a rough scheme he was working to at any given moment.

Whether that made any relative difference to the original trilogy or the new one is another debate.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

@Toth and @sifth You may be interested in The Mandalorian, which is to take place between ROTJ and TFA. I'm hoping it sheds some light on this period.

To be honest I am looking forward to that show. Not because of it's setting though; which I before you mentioned it, I had no idea it took place in that era. I'm more looking forward to it because of it's amazing cast.

I'm a huge fan of Pedro Pascal, Giancarlo Esposito, Carl Weathers, and Taika Waititi. I just hope the writing for the show is good and doesn't waste any of these amazing actors; Jon Favreau has been pretty hit and miss, IMO

18 minutes ago, sifth said:

To be honest I am looking forward to that show. Not because of it's setting though; which I before you mentioned it, I had no idea it took place in that era. I'm more looking forward to it because of it's amazing cast.

I'm a huge fan of Pedro Pascal, Giancarlo Esposito, Carl Weathers, and Taika Waititi. I just hope the writing for the show is good and doesn't waste any of these amazing actors; Jon Favreau has been pretty hit and miss, IMO

No love for Gina Carano and Nick Nolte? I'm honestly pretty damn excited to see Nick Nolte in the Star Wars universe.

I really hope Disney takes more chances with the Star Wars franchise. There are so many possibilities. New places, characters and time periods.

6 minutes ago, Astromech said:

No love for Gina Carano and Nick Nolte? I'm honestly pretty damn excited to see Nick Nolte in the Star Wars universe.

I really hope Disney takes more chances with the Star Wars franchise. There are so many possibilities. New places, characters and time periods.

They're alright, I suppose. I'm just not a particularly huge fan of either one of them. Not gona lie, other than Deadpool, I don't really think I've seen Gina Carano in anything. Wiki says she was is Fast 6................but I've blocked most of that film from my mind, lol

Archived