US Politics: Celebrating and despairing too early;No poll bump for Trump yet.

Varysblackfyre321

6 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Trump doesn’t appear to be getting a big uptick in polls after Muller was said to have found no strong evidence of conspiracy between Trump and Russia during 2016.  Now Resume. 

Now I'm going to have to go back and find the article, but there was some pundit in either WaPo or WSJ that was talking about how little his numbers move (and how unusual this is).  He has his base, and the base isn't leaving him, but he's also not attracting new people.  It's a fascinating phenomenon.

6 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Trump doesn’t appear to be getting a big uptick in polls after Muller was said to have found no strong evidence of conspiracy between Trump and Russia during 2016.  Now Resume. 

Not only that, now members of Mueller's team are alleging that Barr severely whitewashed the report.

In locaI/state news, another Oklahoma Democratic county HQ was defaced with racist, neo-Nazi and pro-Trump graffiti, along with an elementary school and arts center in Norman, OK, which is about 20 minutes south of OKC.

@DMC I know the "corrupt" was in scare quotes for a reason. My reply wasn't meant to come across so harshly, it was more tongue-in-cheek in my head, then it kinda turned. I've read posts from you before that were in the vein of "That's politics" and it always pisses me off. Not you - just that it's a fact and you're the messenger. I hate it that so much shit is accepted as the way things work and that's why the likes of AOC, Bernie, and frankly Trump, are resonating with people. I know you know that, but I just kinda wanted to let you know where my head was on that. Imagine what a breath of fresh air it would be if people actually hired the best people instead of people who have shown an inclination to cover your ass and people actually cared.

Having said that, I have zero ideas of Barr's actual qualifications. I do know that there at the very least appears to be a conflict of interest in the Mueller instance (President covering his ass vs serving the people) and this is politics as usual.

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I'm not surprised. It's not an issue for people who already like Trump and for those who dislike, it wasn't going to change their overall perception of Trump's constant lying and the corruption of his administration. Trump has his base and then there is everyone else. The issue with Trump and re-election is always if people suck up their hate for Trump simply for conservative policies.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Now I'm going to have to go back and find the article, but there was some pundit in either WaPo or WSJ that was talking about how little his numbers move (and how unusual this is).  He has his base, and the base isn't leaving him, but he's also not attracting new people.  It's a fascinating phenomenon.

I don’t think you need to go back and look. It’s a pretty common take that Trump’s base, which will never leave him, fluctuates between the high 30’s and low 40’s percentile wise. Then there are a handful of Republicans who leave him when he falls on his face and then they come right back once he does something remotely good. His ceiling is in the mid 40’s, which is why his strategy was to tear down Hillary rather than attempt to attract new supporters. And you’ll see a repeat of that in 2020, regardless of who the Democrats nominate. Scorched earth and all that…..

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

I know you know that, but I just kinda wanted to let you know where my head was on that. Imagine what a breath of fresh air it would be if people actually hired the best people instead of people who have shown an inclination to cover your ass and people actually cared.

Gotcha, that's cool.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

Having said that, I have zero ideas of Barr's actual qualifications. I do know that there at the very least appears to be a conflict of interest in the Mueller instance (President covering his ass vs serving the people) and this is politics as usual.

Well, he's certainly qualified - dude had the same job about a quarter century ago.  As for conflict of interest, it was going to be hard to find any outside attorney that hadn't said something publicly about the Mueller investigation.

48 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

For the love of god, knock it off with these horrible thread titles @Varysblackfyre321!!!

I thought we were boycotting the thread for awhile there.  I was all in...

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

U.S. Politics: Tilting At Cancer Causing Windmills

...but not due to your title making skills.

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I Had a Thought While Pooping This Morning

US Politics: asdfghjk

We can call it the Trump executive forum.  I vote yay for this.

2 hours ago, Gertrude said:

@DMC I know the "corrupt" was in scare quotes for a reason. My reply wasn't meant to come across so harshly, it was more tongue-in-cheek in my head, then it kinda turned. I've read posts from you before that were in the vein of "That's politics" and it always pisses me off. Not you - just that it's a fact and you're the messenger. I hate it that so much shit is accepted as the way things work and that's why the likes of AOC, Bernie, and frankly Trump, are resonating with people. I know you know that, but I just kinda wanted to let you know where my head was on that. Imagine what a breath of fresh air it would be if people actually hired the best people instead of people who have shown an inclination to cover your ass and people actually cared.

Fer pete's sake, People!  Barr was Reagan - H. W.Bush's point guy for getting pardons for Caspar Weinberger, Elliot Abrams, & Co. for Iran-Contra -- and you're surprised that he might have whitewashed the Mueller Report summary?  Barr was up to his cowlick in their evile, illegal and criminal shyte.  What do you expect? 

And the frackin' media immediately going all out howling ballistic that they'd been fooled, duped and played because Mueller wasn't indicting the wart and yelling for impeachment.  The media is a fool, because they make themselves fools.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don’t think you need to go back and look. It’s a pretty common take that Trump’s base, which will never leave him, fluctuates between the high 30’s and low 40’s percentile wise. Then there are a handful of Republicans who leave him when he falls on his face and then they come right back once he does something remotely good. His ceiling is in the mid 40’s, which is why his strategy was to tear down Hillary rather than attempt to attract new supporters. And you’ll see a repeat of that in 2020, regardless of who the Democrats nominate. Scorched earth and all that…..

No doubt on strategy because it is already happening.  Mind you I"m already over primary season.  I currently feel like the entire process is being run like (one of my favorite) Bugs Bunny cartoons (the duck season/wabbit season and variations).  Honestly, not that this is an original thought, but the list of people NOT running is honestly shorter at this point.  Whatever, what happened is that Trump has proven that you don't actually have to be remotely qualified for the job, which means that everyone looks in the mirror and sees a president (not just Senators.  Honestly I'd half think about it - campaign slogan:  "All shall love me and despair!").  And frankly I'm not picky at this point, because the quality that all who are running have in common is NOT TRUMP.

2 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Honestly I'd half think about it - campaign slogan:  "All shall love me and despair!").

I would totally vote for Galadriel.  I mean, she passed the damn test.  Not a single politician in the world would pass that test.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I would totally vote for Galadriel.  I mean, she passed the damn test.  Not a single politician in the world would pass that test.

What's the apocryphal quote from Napoleon:  "They wanted a Washington and instead they got me?"  

Did y'all see that the orange one wants to nominate Herman Cain to the Fed?  Link  

20 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Did y'all see that the orange one wants to nominate Herman Cain to the Fed?  Link  

Well, the Fed does desperately need an expert on Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan.

44 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

No doubt on strategy because it is already happening.  Mind you I"m already over primary season.  I currently feel like the entire process is being run like (one of my favorite) Bugs Bunny cartoons (the duck season/wabbit season and variations).  Honestly, not that this is an original thought, but the list of people NOT running is honestly shorter at this point.  Whatever, what happened is that Trump has proven that you don't actually have to be remotely qualified for the job, which means that everyone looks in the mirror and sees a president (not just Senators.  Honestly I'd half think about it - campaign slogan:  "All shall love me and despair!").  And frankly I'm not picky at this point, because the quality that all who are running have in common is NOT TRUMP.

Hey now, be happy Kanye isn’t running like he said he would a few years back.

And if we’re allowed to pick someone off the board who meets the minimum qualifications of being 35, born in America and NOT TRUMP, can we please just get it over with and nominate Beyonce. The Beyhive will come strong!

36 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

(Also, points to title)

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hey now, be happy Kanye isn’t running like he said he would a few years back.

And if we’re allowed to pick someone off the board who meets the minimum qualifications of being 35, born in America and NOT TRUMP, can we please just get it over with and nominate Beyonce. The Beyhive will come strong!

(Also, points to title)

There is still time for Kanye to run.  Though he may be waiting for 2024....

Damn, I am so disappointed. Trump has totally backed off his moronic announcement that he was going to close down the US-Mexico border. I was really looking forward to big chunks of the US economy imploding.

He not only went off closing the border next week, he didn't even go to next month or six months from now. He went to a whole year, "and then we'll give them a warning", and if the warning isn't headed, "we'll put tariffs on their cars, I don't care about the USMC, immigration is more important".

So just last week there was such a critical emergency at the border funds had to be grabbed away from other departments to build a wall and the border had to be shut down, to "in a year we'll give them a warning".

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don’t be so F’ing absurd, MZ. 2024 is Taylor Swift’s first year of eligibility.  

Right, it's going to be Swift (D) v. West (R).  The whole thing can play out on the national stage.  Can you imagine the debates?

Archived