US Politics: Celebrating and despairing too early;No poll bump for Trump yet.

Varysblackfyre321

51 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

It’s 100% accurate for the republican whip count, but you may be right, the corporate behemoths could probably persuade 40% of democrats to vociferously oppose the ADA in 2019. So I was probably severely underrating the degree of opposition.

The ADA would be a mammoth loser of an issue in 2019 and virtually all democrat leadership would be voicing hostile anti ADA neo liberal opposition talking points constantly.

You're funny with your farcical delusions.

Conservative Clown of The Month: Thomas Massie

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/12/18307727/thomas-massie-john-kerry-video-political-science

Are you serious?” former Secretary of State John Kerry asked Rep. Thomas Massie during a congressional hearing on Wednesday in which the Kentucky Republican seemingly tried to catch Kerry in a sort of “gotcha” moment about scientific credentials and climate change.

Whether or not Massie, who holds two engineering degrees from MIT, was serious is actually a good question.

To back up: Massie, who represents Kentucky’s Fourth Congressional District, made an attempt to discredit Kerry by getting him to admit that he had a bachelor’s degree in political science from Yale. The point he was trying to make, at least as far as anyone can tell, was that political science is not really a science, so Kerry shouldn’t be able to talk about climate change. To be sure, Kerry was never claiming to be a scientist, but here we are.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

You're funny with your farcical delusions.

It’s funny that you think an nationally massive creation of a new regulatory status quo involving tens of thousands of regulations and billions in compliance would be supported by even one republican today or even one soulless neo liberal democrat today. They simply would not, the entire concept of the ADA is entirely anathema to the political reality we are forced to suffer in. The same would hold true for the clean air act or clean water act, these are concepts that were they new they would encounter total republican opposition and opposition from all reasonable centrist democrats. Politicians would never try to do something like clean water today, it’d be a political loser that would mostly benefit poor people and hurt mega corps, why the very idea is laughable!

5 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

It’s funny that you think an nationally massive creation of a new regulatory status quo involving tens of thousands of regulations and billions in compliance would be supported by even one republican today or even one soulless neo liberal democrat today. They simply would not, the entire concept is entirely anathema to the political reality we are forced to suffer in.

The 2008 Amendments Act passed the House 402-17, and passed the Senate with unanimous consent.  That was 11 years ago.  You are delusional to think things have changed that much.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

The 2008 Amendments Act passed the House 402-17, and passed the Senate with unanimous consent.  That was 11 years ago.  You are delusional to think things have changed that much.

You mean Republicans passed with with the aid of beta cuck dems?

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

You mean Republicans passed with with the aid of beta cuck dems?

Uh, every Dem member in the House (and obviously the Senate) voted for it.  It was a Democratic initiative.

33 minutes ago, DMC said:

Things have changed quite a bit since 2008. The Tea Party and the election of Trump have caused a paradigm shift within the Republican party.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Things have changed quite a bit since 2008. The Tea Party and the election of Trump have caused a paradigm shift within the Republican party.

Thanks professor.  It still hasn't changed from 402 to 217 lengths, or 100 to 49-50.  Now, if you're asking me if it would be signed by this guy:

No, probably not.  But my prior would be about 300 votes in the House, which is veto proof.  The Senate?  Not sure if it could get 67 - particularly if Trump made it an issue and raised its salience.  By why would he?  This is the problem with hypotheticals.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Uh, every Dem member in the House (and obviously the Senate) voted for it.  It was a Democratic initiative.

I love ya buddy. This is exactly what I was trying to get at and failing to do so last night. You have entirely logical arguments to back up your entirely logical statements. 

You could be entirely right, 100%. But we aren't in a world where things like facts or logic matter anymore politically. Full stop. 

There's no qualifier, there's no exceptions. So when you get up in front of the chalk board and start explaining the math and why things haven't changed that much according to these figures I believe you. Sometimes I need to check independently because you've dropped some high level information before that I wasn't clear on, but when you make your case I buy it. The problem is that the people making decisions don't care at all and it's not gonna get better. There will be another Trump artist, the Republicans have been shown a winning formula and they're gonna keep being the party of breaking government. Because they get fabulously rewarded for doing do. 

So really, it is not logical at all to expect Republicans to become a party willing to return to the table. Doing so directly harms their interests. And while I know you haven't been saying "Republicans will return to the table" exactly, all of your prognostications seem to treat it as a given.

Eta: Missing period

13 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You could be entirely right, 100%. But we aren't in a world where things like facts or logic matter anymore politically. Full stop. 

This has been my take too. I don't think the old data and our history are as helpful as they used to be in these bizarre, Jace-like times. 

The White House and Department of Homeland Security denied via statements to the Post that the proposal was still under consideration.

“This was just a suggestion that was floated and rejected, which ended any further discussion,” the White House said in the statement.

But Trump revived the idea later Friday, blaming a court settlement known as the Flores agreement that bars the U.S. for detaining migrant children for more than 20 days. Framing his proposal as calling the bluff of leaders in sanctuary cities, he posed the idea as a potential motivating factor to get Democrats to strike a deal on immigration reform.

“We might as well do what they always say they want,” he said at the White House. “We will bring the illegal — I call them the illegals, they came across the border illegally — we will bring them to sanctuary city areas and let that particular area take care of it, whether it is a state or whatever it might be.”

He continued: “California certainly is always saying, we want more people, and they want more people in their sanctuary cities, we will give them more people. We can give them an unlimited supply. And let's see if they are so happy. They always say they have open arms. Let's see if they have open arms.”

Pelosi criticized the proposal, saying it demonizes migrants.

“The extent of this administration’s cynicism and cruelty cannot be overstated,” Pelosi spokeswoman Ashley Etienne said in a statement to the Post. “Using human beings — including little children — as pawns in their warped game to perpetuate fear and demonize immigrants is despicable.”

Trump threatens to send undocumented immigrants to sanctuary cities

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/12/trump-undocumented-immigrants-sanctuary-cities-1272745

Trump told CBP head he'd pardon him if he were sent to jail for violating immigration law

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/politics/trump-cbp-commissioner-pardon/index.html

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump told Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan he would grant McAleenan a pardon if he were sent to jail for having border agents block asylum seekers from entering the US in defiance of US law, senior administration officials tell CNN.

Trump reportedly made the comment during a visit to the border at Calexico, California, a week ago. It was not clear if the comment was a joke.

At least one police chief doesn't bend over for republican nazis.

https://www.newsweek.com/houston-police-chief-deport-child-without-family-1394461

Acevedo also responded to a critic last year who said the chief should run the police department and leave politics to politicians. The police chief said: "We have 600,000+ immigrants in this city and ensuring they trust their police department is critical to our mission of keeping our city safe. Messages like yours must be what the German Police were told leading up to the Holocaust. Not this chief, not this Nation, not this time!"

Mike Pompeo, then CIA director and, as an official in Donald Trump’s Cabinet, an indirect beneficiary of Assange’s meddling in American democracy, went so far as to describe WikiLeaks as a “non-state hostile intelligence service often abetted by state actors like Russia.” For those likening the outfit to legitimate news organizations, I’d submit that this is a shade more severe a description, especially coming from America’s former spymaster, than anything Trump has ever grumbled about The New York Times or The Washington Post.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/julian-assange-got-what-he-deserved/587008/

Julian Assange Got What He Deserved
Don’t continue to fall for his phony pleas for sympathy, his megalomania, and his promiscuity with the facts.

but has not the irrational been in on the ground floor of politics since the time of aristotle at least?  is this not the primary thesis of ray geuss in philosophy and real politics--that motherfuckers generally can't even explain their beliefs, much less their conduct?  bush jr., say, went to war on which basis? vietnam was bombed into the stone age, why? the US was founded on coverture, chattel slavery, genocide, inter alia--but all this is designated 'liberty'?  it seems as though the irrational is always already there and deviations therefrom have been momentary aberrations.

17 hours ago, mormont said:

I was surprised at this assertion, because I don't think it's that uncommon in the UK, going by anecdotal experience. But it seems to be only around 10-11% of people in the UK have private health insurance. That's lower than I would have thought, but I'm not sure it's 'hardly any'. 

But how much of that 11% is “true” health cover versus lots of fringe services? My UK company offered similar deals as salary sacrifice - I would have had private coverage but not for hospilisation. 

14 minutes ago, Proficiency said:

Is there a certain level of bullshit where if a president reaches it they just disappear? 

If so, has Trump reached said level yet?

I certainly hope not. If Trump goes Dutchman who knows what kind of escalation that could be perceived as. Don't pick fights we can't Win... ston.

Archived