US Politics: Celebrating and despairing too early;No poll bump for Trump yet.

Varysblackfyre321

4 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Faith Militant is the first thing to cross my mind when reading this.

But honestly, if a school can do it, why not a mega-church? As long as all places of worship that apply and meet the requirements are allowed the same privilege. I don't get why this is seemingly different than a college campus - being called a separate police force and needing a vote. The article is a sparse on the details.

Can you imagine if a Mosque applied for this? I can hear the outcry already...

i was thinking more Handmaids Tale than ASOIAF though

On 4/12/2019 at 2:24 PM, DMC said:

The 2008 Amendments Act passed the House 402-17, and passed the Senate with unanimous consent.  That was 11 years ago.  You are delusional to think things have changed that much.

And before Roberts put the voting rights act in his guillotine the senate reauthorized it 98-0 in 2006 (390-33 in the house). And how did those overwhelming majorities translate to a legislative Fix to Roberts 2013 judicial activism? 

Because the fix—unlike all the other legislative fixes invalidating Supreme Court attempts to destroy the VRA over the decades—died in committee and no actions were taken. There’s a big difference now between how republicans treat the status quo vs how they take new or proactive actions. And a switch from unanimous republican senate support to unanimous republican senate oppose is as extreme a change as is possible to measure.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1117457714999853056

Jake Tapper on Twitter

“.@presssec Sarah Sanders tells Fox News’ Chris Wallace “frankly, Chris, I don’t think Congress — particularly not this group of congressmen and women — are smart enough to look through the thousands of pages that I would assume that President Trump’s taxes will be.””

https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-house-press-secretary-sarah-sanders-tells-fox-sunday-lawmakers-not-smart-enough-to-understand-trumps-tax-returns

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/sarah-sanders-lawmakers-not-smart-enough-to-read-trumps-tax-returns

It's an accurate point - Trump's tax returns absolutely require multiple forensic auditors. Figuring out things like tax havens, tricks, auditing evasions, etc - these things are hard, and beyond almost everyone's ability. 

It doesn't mean that they shouldn't get them, mind you. 

Today is Palm Sunday, and the priest at the church I attend started the mass asking us to think of the Hosannas that start the service and how likely some in the crowd in Jerusalem were also ones who yelled ‘Crucify him!’, and he asked that we think about the times we say ‘crucify him’ in our daily lives instead of being supportive. 

I couldn’t help but think of the support Trump gets from the Christian community and how many of them shout ‘lock her up’ at his rallies. Of course, the analogy doesn’t quite work, because Trump is no Pontius Pilate and the crowds don’t chant against his advice, but in support of it. More like Trump is one of the temple priests urging the crowd on.

We live in such a weird world now, where everything is backwards and upside down. I wondered what the sermons were at churches in Trump land.

Sorry, I’m rambling, but there’s so much disturbing news out of the USA these days you wonder how many decades it will take to repair things, if ever. People like Trump seem to be actively trying to break-up the EU, (such an advantage to the US, and Russia, to have a fragmented Europe again), Europeans should support movements like California separatism.

On 4/13/2019 at 1:53 AM, DMC said:

The current racist attacks directed towards Ilhan Omar are inarguably disgusting, and why every Jewish American should support her in spite of any objections to her past comments.  It's the people attacking her that are the plain threat to any minority.

Agreed, and I don't think the last thing the right condemned as antisemitic on her part was antisemitic (calling Stephen Miller a white nationalist, because obviously he holds those beliefs and wants to join that club), and I honestly saw nothing about this from anyone but those on right/Republicans and I think it's important to say this particular thing wasn't antisemitic as well as call out the racism and islamophobia directed towards her by Trump and friends.

On April 12, 2019 at 7:50 PM, Martell Spy said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/julian-assange-got-what-he-deserved/587008/

Julian Assange Got What He Deserved
Don’t continue to fall for his phony pleas for sympathy, his megalomania, and his promiscuity with the facts.

The Guardian has ran a counter argument to this, I like it better. https://news.yahoo.com/many-democrats-liberals-cheering-assange-174745134.html

7 hours ago, dornishpen said:

Agreed, and I don't think the last thing the right condemned as antisemitic on her part was antisemitic (calling Stephen Miller a white nationalist, because obviously he holds those beliefs and wants to join that club), and I honestly saw nothing about this from anyone but those on right/Republicans and I think it's important to say this particular thing wasn't antisemitic as well as call out the racism and islamophobia directed towards her by Trump and friends.

Well, for starters, he’s Jewish...

32 minutes ago, No one of consequence said:

Well, for starters, he’s Jewish...

He is, but he's also promoting the ideas and policies of a white nationalist minus the antisemitism. Just because they would never accept him doesn't mean he doesn't want to be one of them.

ETA and his uncle has publicly rebuked him in an editorial, his grandmother was a Holocaust survivor and refugee.

We can be confident the Republicans in 2020 will run on bigotry, bigotry against gays, immigrants and muslims. They want Mayor Pete, Rep. Omar and the border to be the front and center issues of every headline and debate as much as possible. Either the electorate rises above the bait of such bigotry or they take that bait and we will have earned 4 more years of Mussolini.

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

I meant to write something earlier about how Rep. Omar is a potential disaster for the Democrats.  Let me be clear that it's totally unfair that this is the case, and it's not for any issue I have with her.  But the reality is that this country is extremely Islamophobic and not just-wingers.  The more that she is in the media as a Dem the worse it is however bullshit that might be.

Then I see that David Frum has now written something a similar point.

I hope that this wrong both in what it says about people and what it says electorally, but I fear that it is right.  I think that GOP operatives are high-fiving behind the scenes with gleeful vulpine smiles about how much they're going to try to use Omar as their prop in the coming months.

I disagree.  The GOP will make all its dogwhistles regardless of whether or not Omar is in the headlines.  If its not her it'll be Trump mentioning how he's reconsidering tweaking another Muslim ban or a bunch of "Iran is becoming a threat" speculation coming from the right.  The islamophobia runs deeper than just Omar, and it will manifest itself in some other event or headline if she wasn't there.  

17 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I disagree.  The GOP will make all its dogwhistles regardless of whether or not Omar is in the headlines.  If its not her it'll be Trump mentioning how he's reconsidering tweaking another Muslim ban or a bunch of "Iran is becoming a threat" speculation coming from the right.  The islamophobia runs deeper than just Omar, and it will manifest itself in some other event or headline if she wasn't there.  

Even if that were not true, what's the solution, Trisk? Deny Muslims representation? Tell Muslim women to be quiet? 

No. The only way to tackle that Islamophobia is by normalising Muslims as part of society and that includes allowing them to be elected representatives, as outspoken as they like, and not hiding or running from that but embracing it. 

ETA - that Frum article is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Look at the coded language it's riddled with. Omar is 'unmanageable'. 'Reckless'. Makes 'outlandish remarks'. He quotes Omar saying 

“I think Nancy knows this very well. Women have been told to go slow and not be seen and not be heard for many years. She wouldn’t have made it to where she is if she did. And it’s certainly the case for minority women … We are not there to be quiet. We are not there to be invisible. We are there to follow the lead of people like Congressman John Lewis and make good trouble.”

Even as he, himself, effectively advocates telling her to 'go slow and not be seen and not be heard'. He needs to take a long hard look at his own attitudes. There is no world in which he would be telling an outspoken white male Congressman to STFU. 

the frum piece is character assassination. he indirectly defames omar by association with an attorney who spoke at a conference that she also attended, through a chain of similar attenuated associations, and whose argument does perhaps in the interests of its cause carry him beyond the limits of truth. 

frum does not identify what is objectionable in her policy preferences or praxis, a fortiori the allegedly objectionable extempore statements, nor does he acknowledge her retractions and apologies, or the condemnations from fellow party members.

the comedy of frum's position is that trump's normal voters will object to her statements about the state of israel only insofar as they are too banal, too restrained, in comparison to their own respective NSDAP preferences.

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

the frum piece is character assassination. he indirectly defames omar by association with an attorney who spoke at a conference that she also attended, through a chain of similar attenuated associations, and whose argument does perhaps in the interests of its cause carry him beyond the limits of truth. 

frum does not identify what is objectionable in her policy preferences or praxis, a fortiori the allegedly objectionable extempore statements, nor does he acknowledge her retractions and apologies, or the condemnations from fellow party members.

the comedy of frum's position is that trump's normal voters will object to her statements about the state of israel only insofar as they are too banal, too restrained, in comparison to their own respective NSDAP preferences.

Interesting and fair comments, but in the end, is Frum right? Is Trump making her the face of the Democratic party?

And did she de-politicize 9/11 the way Trump did with his New Zealand tweet? Was that perceptive or unfair?

Archived