US Politics: Celebrating and despairing too early;No poll bump for Trump yet.

Varysblackfyre321

57 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

All the websites required you to upload a prescription, BTW to buy.

I'm talking about travelling to Canada, not ordering drugs from a website. Every medicine I take requires a prescription, but from what I have read about insulin in Canada, you don't need a prescription. Diabetics can just go to the drug store and buy their supply. Now, presumably, once their diabetes was discovered a doctor gave them an initial prescription to start, and then monitored them to make sure it was the right dose.

Epi pens are also available without prescription, and they cost much less than in the US.

A Buffalo tv station did a primer on how to buy drugs in Canada. 

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/health/accessing-the-canadian-remedy/395410711

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

A Buffalo tv station did a primer on how to buy drugs in Canada. 

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/health/accessing-the-canadian-remedy/395410711

That's because if they can't figure out how to get a ferry to Toronto, then goddamnit they're gonna emphasize how there's cheaper drugs really close.  #RochesterIssues

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ha oh shit, are you in Rochester?

Nah, grew up in Brighton (from 0-18), which is literally down the road from Rochester.  Live around Pittsburgh now.

As far as Dems are concerned, 55 might as well be 60. Unless DC and Puerto Rico become states, there's no way Dems are going to get 55 senators short of a major recession or unpopular war. 

The filibuster only hurts Dems right now. I used to think it was otherwise, but that's the way it is. Republicans main policy goals are to remove things like taxes and regulations and other benefits, and all of that can be done with reconciliation, so they've functionally already gotten rid of it for their sake. For Dems, they can't pass any new major laws that they want to with reconciliation, so they're basically stuck. 

The bigger problem is still that there's no incentive to work with the other side. I guess if you want to fix that, cool beans - but bring back the filibuster after that's been fixed.

21 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

As far as Dems are concerned, 55 might as well be 60. Unless DC and Puerto Rico become states, there's no way Dems are going to get 55 senators short of a major recession or unpopular war. 

You don't know that.  And Dems have gotten more than 55 fairly recently.  Generally, I agree that the Dems are disadvantaged in the Senate.  But not in the Eeyore way you describe it.

23 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

so they've functionally already gotten rid of it for their sake.

They haven't been able to functionally get rid of Obamacare, even with unified government.  And the congressional GOP leadership wants Trump to stop trying to do so.  So, no, this isn't an accurate depiction.

25 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The bigger problem is still that there's no incentive to work with the other side. I guess if you want to fix that, cool beans - but bring back the filibuster after that's been fixed.

I don't know how to fix that.  But I do know that abolishing the filibuster will just exacerbate the problem.

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I live in a Rochester suburb, I know where Brighton is. :P

Cool beans.  Pretty curious, where do you live?  Feel free to PM me, but I wanna know damnit!  :) 

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

On the filibuster:

Never really thought about this before, but what if the rule was changed not to abolish altogether but to change from 60 to 55?  60 is just so hard to get to but 55 still gives it a bit of a feeling of not being purely something that can be undone every new Congress.  

I think when the ex confederates invented the filibuster to stop republican led race equality policies, they set the filibuster at the equivalent of 67, iirc it was reformed to sixty under Johnson, but I’m not confident in my recollection. So 55 would be a totally normal type of filibuster reform.

but 55 doesn’t stop the problem of two red senators from every red state trend line, Missouri and North Dakota and Florida were just conquered for all time, and Ohio and other states are on the precipice of also falling into the eternal fire. Since democrats do nothing to stop or prevent this tragedy and are devoted above all to the policy of losing everywhere all the time we are only a couple election cycles from a  completely Unbreakble permanent republican senate majority. So sure 55, but 55 in our current and future political reality is about as plausible an edge case as the sub 1% chance of sixty seats we lucked into after the 2008 election. And even in that landslide republicans did everything they could to undermine the will of the voters.

so yeah it’s nice as an idea but it’s not going to do much and i don’t see much value in hanging on to diluted forms of bureaucratic obstacles created to enforce racist status quos.

The only viable reform for a legislative body as vile and broken and utterly despicable and useless as the senate isn’t filibuster reform but breaking up the big states into smaller states.

13 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

think when the ex confederates invented the filibuster to stop republican led race equality policies, they set the filibuster at the equivalent of 67, iirc it was reformed to sixty under Johnson, but I’m not confident in my recollection.

This is insanely historically inaccurate.  The filibuster has existed in both chambers for the entirety of their existence.  It's as old as almost any parliamentary rule.  It wasn't really used policywise until recently.  You're right that LBJ's reign made them lower the threshold from 66 to 60, but that's about all that's accurate in the quoted. 

The NYT is reporting that Trump’s sister has retired from the bench, thus bringing an end to an investigation into allegations of judicial misconduct over her role in fraudulent tax schemes for the Trump family uncovered by the paper last year.

Just in time for Siblings Day....

I also see Trump is dismantling the Office of Personnel Management, which, among other things, administers the pension and health care benefits of federal government employees. The work they perform will be distributed to three other branches of government.

Personally speaking, if I were a federal government employee or retiree, I would be deeply concerned about Trump playing around with the department that administers my health and retirement benefits. Not to be cynical if anything...

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I also see Trump is dismantling the Office of Personnel Management, which, among other things, administers the pension and health care benefits of federal government employees. The work they perform will be distributed to three other branches of government.

Personally speaking, if I were a federal government employee or retiree, I would be deeply concerned about Trump playing around with the department that administers my health and retirement benefits. Not to be cynical if anything...

I wouldnt trust any of the Trumps anywhere near a pension fund. Its already established that these cretins are charity fund skimmers.

Reminder:

James Baker was reassigned to a different position at the FBI and the DOJ opened a criminal investigation because he allegedly made unauthorized leaks to the media.

Bill Priestap retired. According to the WSJ, his retirement was not related to the FBI's 2016 investigations into the Trump and Clinton campaigns. However, he testified to Congress that he was directly responsible for dealing with unauthorized leaks to the media (p. 33 of transcript). Also, many people in the administration have been forced out. Notably, Trump characterized Mattis' departure as a retirement.

Michael Steinbach, who was Priestap's direct boss (p. 16 of transcript), also retired.

Carl Ghattas also retired. He led a review of the FBI's investigation of Clinton's emails after the texts between Strzok and Page came out. The review concluded that the agents who led the investigation should be commended.

Andrew McCabe and Peter Strzok were notoriously fired. Lisa Page was reassigned and then resigned.

The FBI is completely compromised now. The elections will also be. Direct action is the only alternative to not be a dictatorship for the next 20 years. A nasty one with genocide and atrocity both in-country and outside, that will deny climate change while it's beggaring the country  and steal everything they can. Besides 'normal' people this should worry the likes of Jeff Bozos or the others of his ilk: fascism has no bottom and they'll have 0 problems eliminating 'enemies'.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Pork

I don't think so anymore.  Pork is great for greasing the wheels, but the wheel in the sky has thoroughly stopped turning.  To the point that even I'm confused by my weird metaphors.

1.  Assange anyone?!?  Surprised to see no discussion, but thought it was interesting that the arrest is not just for UK bail jumping but also extradition to the US.  Curious how this all plays out.

2.  Maisie Hirono has introduced a bill to remove the cap on Social Security contributions.  It will NEVER pass.  That said, it's not a bad time to discuss how the safety net will continue to be funded. IMO, the income cap is silly-low, but that said, I would love to see more creative ideas floated.  It is high time we stop pretending that you get out what you put in.

Archived