Jump to content
HelenaExMachina

The First Law Re-Read Volume II - rereads are a dish best served cold

Recommended Posts

Continue!

 

I’m well behind schedule as I have just read Beneath the Ruins in the second book, where Logen Bloody Nines against the Shanka. Made me question the nature of the bloody nine again. The POV describes Shanka as his most hated foe and takes utter delight in “revenge” (as opposed to just killing). What im wondering is if this is just the Bloody Nine having been shaped by Logen’s experiences or if it goes deeper, to the nature of the Bloody Nine itself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Finished all 6 + Sharp Ends.  Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.  It will be sad not to see old friends anymore but i really can't see any call for a lot of the characters to still be involved at the sharp end after all this time.  Though Joe does seem to love a nod back to the past/have known characters interact. 

 

 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Continue!

 

I’m well behind schedule as I have just read Beneath the Ruins in the second book, where Logen Bloody Nines against the Shanka. Made me question the nature of the bloody nine again. The POV describes Shanka as his most hated foe and takes utter delight in “revenge” (as opposed to just killing). What im wondering is if this is just the Bloody Nine having been shaped by Logen’s experiences or if it goes deeper, to the nature of the Bloody Nine itself?

I think we'll probably be in the same place reading wise.

Kanedias made the Shanka as a weapon, Glustrod had demons/the other side and Juvens had magic. We don't get as much info on Bedesh but what if his ability to commune with spirits also allowed him to use them as weapons? Maybe B9 was built as a counter to the shanka? That could explain the B9's hatred and also make Logen a great host.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Finished all 6 + Sharp Ends.  Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.  It will be sad not to see old friends anymore but i really can't see any call for a lot of the characters to still be involved at the sharp end after all this time.  Though Joe does seem to love a nod back to the past/have known characters interact. 

 

 

I'd like to see some of the characters from Sharp ends get some more pages in the new series. The only characters I'm not really fussed about seeing again are shy and temple. But maybe my opinion of them will change with the reread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red snow said:

I think we'll probably be in the same place reading wise.

Kanedias made the Shanka as a weapon, Glustrod had demons/the other side and Juvens had magic. We don't get as much info on Bedesh but what if his ability to commune with spirits also allowed him to use them as weapons? Maybe B9 was built as a counter to the shanka? That could explain the B9's hatred and also make Logen a great host.

I'd like to see some of the characters from Sharp ends get some more pages in the new series. The only characters I'm not really fussed about seeing again are shy and temple. But maybe my opinion of them will change with the reread.

I really think you would have to crowbar shy and temple in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I really think you would have to crowbar shy and temple in. 

yeah, I think I'm safe from them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 12:42 PM, red snow said:

Kanedias made the Shanka as a weapon, Glustrod had demons/the other side and Juvens had magic. We don't get as much info on Bedesh but what if his ability to commune with spirits also allowed him to use them as weapons? Maybe B9 was built as a counter to the shanka? That could explain the B9's hatred and also make Logen a great host.

 I don’t think the B9 we see by throughout the series would suffice. It’d probably focus on attacking and fighting everything rather than a specific target. Which would make it more an hindrance than anything. Also if the B9 could adopt a host and chose Logen to commune with spirits why don’t we hear of B9 talk about spirits or attempt to use them? We only see “regular” Logen communicate with them. If B9 was meant to be a weapon and could adopt a human host wouldn’t it make sense spread out it’s influence?  You know inhabit more individuals instead of one. The men in Logen’s crew seem to supercede Logen in one vital aspect; Dow is nastier, Duru is stronger, Ferious, though the weakest, had the biggest heart, Dogman more creative, Threetrees tougher. Yet the B9 only came to Logen. It could be the ability to talk to spirits. But again there appears to no interaction between the B9 and the spirits. 

The Shanka did slaughter Logen’s family. Though it seems reason is turned off when Logen goes berserk there’s still something whispering. Perhaps the tiny voice Logen heard telling him not to slaughter innocents or his friends is giving a little nudge to Logen to try extra hard to kill the Shanka.

Also, I would love to a see a POV from a Shanka. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:42 PM, red snow said:

I think we'll probably be in the same place reading wise.

 

I'm about a 100 pages from the end of BTAH.  So I'm behind too.  And like you said in the other thread, I plan to read Tiamat's Wrath before starting LAoK.  :dunno: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm about a 100 pages from the end of BTAH.  So I'm behind too.  And like you said in the other thread, I plan to read Tiamat's Wrath before starting LAoK.  :dunno: 

You have to be realistic about these things

Seems there will be a sub group/echo along the thread. I think I'll still get done before September but won't be letting rereads get in the way of new reads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, red snow said:

You have to be realistic about these things

Seems there will be a sub group/echo along the thread. I think I'll still get done before September but won't be letting rereads get in the way of new reads.

Agreed.  I don't know if I will also read Holy Sister before LAoK or not.  I will see where I am after I finish Tiamat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Agreed.  I don't know if I will also read Holy Sister before LAoK or not.  I will see where I am after I finish Tiamat.

Holy sister looks temptingly short in terms if squeezing in. I'll see what the buzz is.

Fortunately i have a lazy holiday and bank holidays approaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honestly just going to reread Red Country before the new book comes out and call it a day.  It's the only one I've only read once (when it came out), so I could use a refresher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm honestly just going to reread Red Country before the new book comes out and call it a day.  It's the only one I've only read once (when it came out), so I could use a refresher. 

Red Country was longer ago than I realized, but I read these books on release.  That’s been over a decade ago.  I definitely needed the refresher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Red Country was longer ago than I realized, but I read these books on release.  That’s been over a decade ago.  I definitely needed the refresher.

Same here. I've been surprised at scenes and characters I've forgotten. It's definitely rewarding seeing characters who have much larger roles in the solo sequels play their part as ancillary characters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cawneil is so...weird. Cant remember if it is mentioned later or not but does she know or suspect the truth around what happened with Tolomei? 

Anyway, she is an odd duck. Really wish we got to see more of the Magi but i doubt that is likely in the new series

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Cawneil is so...weird. Cant remember if it is mentioned later or not but does she know or suspect the truth around what happened with Tolomei? 

Anyway, she is an odd duck. Really wish we got to see more of the Magi but i doubt that is likely in the new series

From her conversation with Bayaz, I had the impression that she suspected the truth, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished my two book detour.  Will be starting LAoK tonight.

Are we still actively doing this or has too much creep entered the schedule?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Just finished my two book detour.  Will be starting LAoK tonight.

Are we still actively doing this or has too much creep entered the schedule?

Well I for one enjoy the updates even if I'm not doing the re-read actively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Towards the end of Best Served Cold, and I came to the part where we found out that Rogont is importing "a thousand white songbirds from distant Thond". Which were then released during his coronation.

I can just imagine this turning out like what happened to North America when those starlings were released in New York.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just reached the chapter where Jezal is sitting in on his first Closed Council meeting.  I had forgotten all about the peasant rebellion and Brother Longfoot's capture/betrayal.  Its quite amazing to me how much I had forgotten about the series I guess.  :dunno: 

Looking forward to the conclusion.  I know it starts to come at a breakneck pace soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup... breakneck pace indeed.  The last couple hundred pages flew past.  Its an interesting experience doing a re-read this far out.  There were things I remembered and things that I had completely forgotten.  Remembered Logen killing the Feared by digging his sword through to the other side... completely forgot about Grim/Dow/Dogman on the quest to kill the witch that let him do it.  Remembered Bayaz killing off the Hundred Words... completely forgot Mamun surviving and Ferro's new super powers.  Remembered that Logen killed Tul… completely forgot that Grim died. 

Its an odd mix of looking forward to the scenes I remembered while still having a few good surprises along the way.

Looking forward to BSC now.  When I first read it, I loved it and I remember it as my favorite of the standalones.  However, I know that around the board it seems to have a much lower reputation.  I'm eager to see how I feel about it on a second go.  

However, I think what I'm most looking forward to is The Heroes with my newly fresh memory of the original trilogy.  Seeing all the Union and Northern names crop up again will hit me a bit harder this time I think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×