The First Law Re-Read Volume II - rereads are a dish best served cold

HexMachina

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

So what’s the consensus of those just finishing LAoK, Lord Marshall West:  Dead or Alive in the new trilogy?

Obviously he has radiation poisoning when last we see him, but he didn’t die on screen.  Has he lived a miserable existence for the last twenty years?  Or did he die?

He should be dead, but it's Joe, so probably the bolded.

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

He should be dead, but it's Joe, so probably the bolded.

I agree he should be dead, but I also agree it would be like Joe to have him be alive and miserable.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I agree he should be dead, but I also agree it would be like Joe to have him be alive and miserable.

If it's genuine radiation and not magical poisoning then he should be dead. But maybe he is a bitter person riddled with magical tumours. Actually, it could be interesting if the seed mutates people giving some of them powers.

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

So what’s the consensus of those just finishing LAoK, Lord Marshall West:  Dead or Alive in the new trilogy?

Obviously he has radiation poisoning when last we see him, but he didn’t die on screen.  Has he lived a miserable existence for the last twenty years?  Or did he die?

I'm going with dead. It's implied that West is already dead by the time of The Heroes. When Tunny was listing off all the Lord Marshals he's served under, he mentions "gone too soon like most good men" in relation to West. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

I'm going with dead. It's implied that West is already dead by the time of The Heroes. When Tunny was listing off all the Lord Marshals he's served under, he mentions "gone too soon like most good men" in relation to West. 

Right, I knew there was some reference in Heroes to West being dead.  Now, it's not completely out of the question that the Union made him into a martyr rather than let people know he'd become an invalid, but that feels unlikely.  I think him being dead makes by far the most sense.  And unlike Logen, he wasn't so popular people are clamoring for more of West. 

I wonder if Glokta would have looked after West? Guess it was inevitable after marrying his sister.

I think the lack of mention of West in heroes makes it most likely he died as i'd have thought he'd have had some closed council position otherwise.

Reading the duel with the Feared and I'm struck again by how this book is pretty much full of final acts and there's still a bit of ground to cover. If my criticism of book 1 is too much set up and no pay off, then book 3 almost overcompensates

I was definitely left feeling for severard in his torture. It was funny how I'd forgotten again that Frost also betrayed Glokta. I remembered the traitor was a surprise to Glokta but had forgotten which one. I actually misremembered it as Frost being falsely accused tortured and Severard being the surprise for Glokta.

Not that I'd consider Frost a traitor - i imagine reporting to the head of the inquisition is in the job description from a practical, something Glokta himself constantly mentioned in the first two books. It seems he forgot in this book.

Also some great foreshadowing when black dow volunteers to go after caulder and scale. He pretty much takes men he knows he can win over with him and his plan is to strike a deal with the princed. Completed missed the scene on the first read but it's clear the second time around. As are all the snide comments. Thing is I'm actually quite sympathetic to Dow's actions as logen would make an awful leader. The only unfortunate factors are that logen would have probably given up the throne (maybe not to dow) and that dow gets wound up in another war. Although, again, I've forgotten who are the aggressors in "the heroes". Maybe Dow was just defending.

I was also wondering if any characters have featured in as many books as Shivers? He's only missing from book 1. The only other characters who come close, i think, are logen, bayaz and cosca. No idea if this means there's a decent chance of seeing Shivers again. It seems Joe likes using the character.

51 minutes ago, red snow said:

I was also wondering if any characters have featured in as many books as Shivers? He's only missing from book 1. The only other characters who come close, i think, are logen, bayaz and cosca. No idea if this means there's a decent chance of seeing Shivers again. It seems Joe likes using the character.

Logen isn't in BSC and Heroes.  Bayaz is missing in BSC and RC.  Cosca isn't in TBI and Heroes.  Maybe Sulfur?  I think he's in all four of the first books, I don't remember if he popped up in either of the later two.  He's hard to keep track of with his shapeshifting. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Logen isn't in BSC and Heroes.  Bayaz is missing in BSC and RC.  Cosca isn't in TBI and Heroes.  Maybe Sulfur?  I think he's in all four of the first books, I don't remember if he popped up in either of the later two.  He's hard to keep track of with his shapeshifting. 

Sulphur is in the heroes a few times.  He cooks Bayaz his steak while Calder pisses himself IIRC.  I seem to remember he was mentioned as having looked like a random Carl as well, whispering in someone or others ear. 

So Shivers and Yoru both in 5 books, a few others in 4.   

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, no one comes close to Shivers unless I'm missing someone obvious. 

Sulfur is a sneaky one as he's in all of the trilogy and at least one of the stand-alones. And potentially more depending on whether any one with dichromatic eyes is sulfur. Was he in BSC? I know he was in heroes.

1 minute ago, red snow said:

Sulfur is a sneaky one as he's in all of the trilogy and at least one of the stand-alones. And potentially more depending on whether any one with dichromatic eyes is sulfur. Was he in BSC? I know he was in heroes.

He was definitely in BSC - he threatened Monza at the end, and got scared off by Shenkt. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

He was definitely in BSC - he threatened Monza at the end, and got scared off by Shenkt. 

So we only need a stealth appearance in red country. Maybe shivers had different eye colours in that one :)

i think there's more chance of sulfur appearing in the new books than Shivers to be honest.

Just now, red snow said:

So we only need a stealth appearance in red country. Maybe shivers had different eye colours in that one :)

i think there's more chance of sulfur appearing in the new books than Shivers to be honest.

Honestly I'd be pretty surprised if Sulfur didn't appear in the new trilogy.  He's a survivor.   

I'll keep an eye open for anyone who might be him when I do the RC reread. 

34 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Honestly I'd be pretty surprised if Sulfur didn't appear in the new trilogy.  He's a survivor.   

I'll keep an eye open for anyone who might be him when I do the RC reread. 

According to the first law wiki he is only in the first 5. I thought Gorst might have been in 5 also, but he was only mentioned in BTAH. And his appearance in BSC is fleeting. 

Another character who has appeared in 5 books is poor old Brint. He was in the three books of the trilogy, in the Heroes, and again in Red Country. And Joe confirmed that we'd see him in A little Hatred...

Carlot dan Eider is in all three of the trilogy, BSC, and Red Country.

12 minutes ago, Joe Abercrombie said:

Brint, Shivers, and Sulfur, they're all back. In fact all three of them are in all three books of the new trilogy, come to think of it...

Good to see you back here, Joe.  Can't wait to read the new books.

Archived