The First Law Re-Read Volume II - rereads are a dish best served cold

HexMachina

1 hour ago, Joe Abercrombie said:

Brint, Shivers, and Sulfur, they're all back. In fact all three of them are in all three books of the new trilogy, come to think of it...

Woah, SPOILER!  Guess I don't need to buy the first two books now that I know nothing will happen to my boy Brint.

But actually I'm a little surprised to hear that Shivers is coming back.  That's interesting. 

3 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Another character who has appeared in 5 books is poor old Brint. He was in the three books of the trilogy, in the Heroes, and again in Red Country. And Joe confirmed that we'd see him in A little Hatred...

That's a good catch with Brint!

3 hours ago, Joe Abercrombie said:

Brint, Shivers, and Sulfur, they're all back. In fact all three of them are in all three books of the new trilogy, come to think of it...

Spoilers, Joe! That's great news RE Shivers, ive really enjoyed his arc in the first trilogy knowing he has a bigger role further on. Be interested to see if he's had more luck finding peace this time.

And hopefully Sulfur is popping up in disguise all over the place.

15 hours ago, Joe Abercrombie said:

Wasn't expecting to see Shivers or Brint again. Wonder if Shivers' character has developed at all?

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I always enjoy an appearance by Sulfur. And Carlot too actually

I always thought Carlot was the nicest character in the series (at least initially).  Naturally, terrible things happen to her.

18 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Woah, SPOILER!  Guess I don't need to buy the first two books now that I know nothing will happen to my boy Brint.

But actually I'm a little surprised to hear that Shivers is coming back.  That's interesting. 

Brint's wife is the one I feel sorry for.

Just now, SeanF said:

Brint's wife is the one I feel sorry for.

Stranger-Come-Fucking was just wanting to be civilized.  I’m sure he provided her with all the best.

11 hours ago, SeanF said:

I always thought Carlot was the nicest character in the series (at least initially).  Naturally, terrible things happen to her.

I know the other choices arent great but i never thought of her as especially ncie. I think this goes back to my viewing the series as not especially morally ambiguous though

I know the other choices arent great but i never thought of her as especially ncie. I think this goes back to my viewing the series as not especially morally ambiguous though

Good, rather than nice, perhaps.  She does risk her life to try and save the Dagoskans, and is appalled by the corruption, racism, and brutality of her countrymen.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:07 PM, Maithanet said:

what if Brint dies in chapter 1 of book 3 though?

Given the fate of most characters I'm slightly torn with Shivers. It seemed he was maybe heading towards a better place again at the end of Red Country and it would be kind of a shame for that not to be the case. Then again, he was heading to the north which doesn't usually bode well for anyone. And he has a mighty reputation to bring back with him especially if he is claiming to have killed the bloody nine.

Maybe Brint and Shivers need to fight to the death to see who has the best chance of appearing in the most books?

I have to be honest that Sult as demon whisperer still feels a bit random on the re-read. There really doesn't seem to be many nods/winks to this earlier on in the series (While pretty much every other development does have foreshadowing) and feels a bit like a convenient way for Glokta to solve his problems. I preferred him as a ruthlessly ambitious snob. Maybe Glokta could have at least set him up?

47 minutes ago, red snow said:

I have to be honest that Sult as demon whisperer still feels a bit random on the re-read. There really doesn't seem to be many nods/winks to this earlier on in the series (While pretty much every other development does have foreshadowing) and feels a bit like a convenient way for Glokta to solve his problems. I preferred him as a ruthlessly ambitious snob. Maybe Glokta could have at least set him up?

There are hints that something odd is going in TBI when Glokta visits the University the first time and is later warned off investigating the cause of death of the partially eaten human remains by superior Goyle.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I mean, Sult isn't the demon whisperer, he just commands and funds the guy working in the demonic arts.  When everything goes to shit at the end of book 3, Sult looks to reap that investment, and proves to be completely in over his head (as he unwittingly was for essentially the entire series). 

1 hour ago, Yohn said:

There are hints that something odd is going in TBI when Glokta visits the University the first time and is later warned off investigating the cause of death of the partially eaten human remains by superior Goyle.

I guess. It felt a bit more like he simply wasn't interested but maybe Sult is far more duplicitous than i thought.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I mean, Sult isn't the demon whisperer, he just commands and funds the guy working in the demonic arts.  When everything goes to shit at the end of book 3, Sult looks to reap that investment, and proves to be completely in over his head (as he unwittingly was for essentially the entire series). 

I should probably finish the book - my opinion might change if it turns out it's more an act of desperation than being something he's been dabbling in throughout the series.

Sult was clearly just looking for a means to keep his power in his personal war against Marovia and later Bayaz. It just so happened to be the arcane arts and demon summoning that presented itself to him. And yes, this is hinted at well throughout (well, “something” is hinted at as going on at the university anyway)

Sult was clearly just looking for a means to keep his power in his personal war against Marovia and later Bayaz. It just so happened to be the arcane arts and demon summoning that presented itself to him. And yes, this is hinted at well throughout (well, “something” is hinted at as going on at the university anyway)

Where it comes over as a bit random to me is the way that Sult instructs Glokta to find evidence to prove that Bayaz is a fraud who performs parlour tricks, in TBI, while being aware that magic and the occult are realities, all along.  

Archived